Cyberjaya, Selangor - Malaysia -- Cost of living for a new expat ? :)

Hi good folks,

Will be moving to Malaysia in month or two. Been offered a salary of 4700RM including transport allowance and pension.

1) What percent of money will be taxable? While I was reading through some of the post here, found it's around 26% for 2014 and 25 from 2015 on-wards. Enlighten me, no? :)

2) Which area should I pick for stay.?

A) Need a semi posh living, and good transport to work place. More concerned about this any the salary itself
  B) Also have plans to get wife along by next year start. (What type of visa would she require, if she plans to work,    what type of work permit would be necessary?)   

3) Also need to know the way to get a 2-wheeler license there, and possibility of shipping my vehicle back home from India to Malaysia.

Cheers and good day!
Arun

I have the answer for the first one now.

Kindly let me know your say on 2 & 3 folks, TIA!

Firstly, that salary is not enough to live in malaysia for u and wife.

Check out iproperty.com.my for a view on condos.

It will be tough for your wife to get a job, unless she is in IT too. She will be on a dependant pass. Once she gets a job, she will get a work permit.

There are driving schools and you can get your licence through them. Not sure about moving the vehicle but you can check with some international moving companies here later.

Interestingly, the salary you say you have been offered does not permit you to have an employment pass in Malaysia. The minimum is RM5k per month.  So it sounds as if you are being employed as a foreign worker?  If so that pass does not entitle you to bring dependents to live with you.

Suggest you clarify this with your employer as it will change things dramatically. There are two different systems in Malaysia and Indians can only work in certain jobs under the foreign worker pass, including construction, service industry, and factory work. Do you know how much pension they are going to pay?  I think it may only be RM20 per month as that is all a company is legally required to pay to foreign workers, not the 13% it pays to Malaysians.

The same would apply to your wife if she wanted to work in Malaysia. She would need to get a job with a salary of RM5k per month or as a foreign worker the salary can be less.

I think you will find your budget is a bit stretched to live in Cyberjaya as it is a modern city and property prices tend to be higher.  You would have to pay RM1500-1800 per month there. You may have to find somewhere nearby to live if that is too high.

Check out property rentals here

Cyberjaya only has a bus service which is not very expansive so own transport would be good. I think you will find the shipping costs and import duties not worth the while for your 2 wheeler. Suggest you buy a motorbike when you arrive as they are cheap here. Your Indian licence can be swapped for a Malaysian one, but you need proof it is legitimate and bring that with you.

Check out prices here

Thanks for the response buddy! :)

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation. I'm in touch with the HR to understand the break in salary components better. I should sort that down.

I only plan to get my wife by next year once am sorted with things here.

Cheers,
Arun

Regardless of when your wife arrives, you still need an employment pass to have her as your dependent. When she arrives you apply for the dependent visa.

It is important that you clarify with your employer that you want to have her come and live with you so you get the right employment documents.  You cant change from one system to the other very easily.  Best not to be employed as a foreign worker.

Absolutely. Getting a valid employment pass is my priority. And the company that I've been offered a job at is a telco and as a direct hire and not through any agency.

But will get the pass part cleared. Thanks again buddy.

It needs to be an Expatriate Employment Pass and not as a foreign worker.

Look it up under Main Services/Expatriate - http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en

EPF - employers not obligated to pay more than RM5.00 per month for foreigners. Its at their discretion.

Hi gravitas. A lot of cheapskate Malaysian firms hire under 5k but declare 5k. They say they are providing accommodation and a car to make up the amount. Usual practice. I know several matt sallehs that do it to get cheap labour for their firms as well. Dodgy but if you pay 4000rm plus a 1000rm for accom looks reasonable. (but they don't actually pay)

Anyone with a wife  taking less than 10k (from anywhere) is mad! Going rate fir Asian expats at 23 is 6k with 1 years experience. Know a few it is a good starter salary if single and flat share.

For the op you are being ripped off and will be made to work like a dog worse than a slave. Stay away

That's so unprofessional of big Co.

Thanks for the information and I am aware of certain shitty practises in MY. Thanks to good folks for educating me on this.