Dual Citizenship: U.S.-Spanish: How to travel to/from Europe and U.S.

Hi,

This is topic is very important to me, and I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Can any American citizen who has acquired Spanish nationality please explain to me how we move through the airports and customs, traveling to/from Europe and the U.S. without getting caught with both passports by the Spanish government?  We are supposed to renounce our U.S. citizenship, but I understand it is only within Spain. 

I´ve been in Madrid for over 10 years and am married.  I am fully integrated and applied some time ago for the Spanish nationality.  Now I have my juramento coming up soon.  I´m excited to acquire Spanish citizenship, but I am afraid Spain will catch me with both passports.  I´m getting cold feet as I really should´t have both passports.I live in Spain and don´t want to have problems here. 

How can I travel?  For example, if I am going from Madrid to Chicago and later returning back to Madrid.

My general understanding is that in the U.S., I show American documents.  In Spain, I show all police, customs officers only Spanish documentation.  How can I get through the Spanish exiting police/customs showing my Spanish passport without their seeing any type of visa?  What about the return trip?  I will arrive in Madrid with no stamp in my Spanish passport.  How can I get back into Spain without having problems?  Also, we have to contend with the airline ticket counters and the information they are sending to both countries.

Can anyone explain their experiences?

I appreciate all help.

Thanks...
Last edited by bleeec (Today 15:16:40)

You should have permission from Immigration department. No need passport, you can go to USA under Visa Waiver program but it's valid for 90 days. If you want to become a US citizenship. It's much difficult, at-least live in the USA 5 years legally. Than only you are eligible to apply.
I highly recommend you have low knowledge on US immigration laws, contact AILa attorney, they ll helps you for free.

I'm a dual US-Icelandic citizen and there has never been a situation where I had to show immigration or border control agents both passports. When entering the US, I show the US passport as required by law. I also show it on departure, although the US has no departure control/stamp. When I'm entering the Schengen zone, I choose the Icelandic passport since that is my basis for residency there.

the only time I had to swap which passport I was showing was when I was flying to the US from Switzerland. I showed my Icelandic passport to the gate agent who then asked for my ESTA validation. When I said I didn't have it because I was also a US citizen, I had to produce that passport as well. However, this was a gate agent for the airline, not for customs or border patrol.

get a passport wallet that can hide the fact that you have two, and don't flash them around. I've not had any issues with the multiple passport travel, even though the US doesn't approve of multiple citizenships.