Relocating to Antigua or Panajachel, Guatemala

Hi-Seriously considering moving from the States, South Florida area to Antigua, Guatemala or Panajachel on Lake Atitlan. I will be receiving social security in a couple of months and hope to be able to live a fairly comfortable, not extravagant lifestyle on my social security. I'm a single guy, so I don't need much-maybe a studio or 1 bedroom apartment. I spent a week in Guatemala in May, spending a couple of days in Antigua. I helped at a medical clinic for a day in the mountains, which I loved. I was a pharmacist in the States and can still help out with an organization providing healthcare to the indigent. Undecided about living by the lake or in Antigua. Would love some feedback and ideas for rentals.
Thanks

Ira

Hi Ira
Great idea... for rentals please contact Aaron Salguero at ***
there are several low cost options in Panajachel
See you around soon
Armand

I have lived in Pana 14 years as founder of saludypaz.org

See website. Several rural medical clinics. Always looking for volunteers like you. Pana is a great place to live on retirement. Antigua is much more expensive.

Hi Ira,
I have lived here in Antigua for five years now and love it. Although I like the Lake, it is very slow paced and a bit isolated for my taste. Having lived in Chicago, I need more than a couple people around me! You might try a few months in each place to see how they fit your personality. I rented quite a few places in Antigua, each time a better fit. Now I have my dream apartment for $$450 a month, with a garage, door opener, free internet and cable. Balcony with view of the volcano. It takes patience and looking, with many many different agents and friends, plus check in the Revue and Que Pasa, in print as well as online. In addition, on Facebook there is a AntiguaClassifieds. Good Luck, this is a great place to live!

Barbara

Hola,

I am a retired laboratory scientist from the EPA. I then began teaching the sciences overseas.
I love teaching in Pana.  Most of the students are very good.  Unfortunately, there's always 1 rotten apple in the barrel.  The level of academics here is below better US high schools. I've taught IB & AP science courses & wish I could here. 

Life in Pana can be pretty much what you want it to be.  You can hang out with the loud obnoxious expats who think they know just how to "fix" Pana, or you can hang out with the locals and learn a thing or two.  Guatemala & the US are culturally antithesis. However, learning about a different culture is the reason for travel in my opinion. 

I have a very quiet life here. I work 15 hours a day for the school.  I teach rigorous science classes and try to prepare the students for US universities.  However, you don't need to be a workaholic like me. 

There is a real need here for skilled medical professionals including psychologists.  You could work part time if you wished.  Personally, I could not bear sitting around for hours at the local coffee house listening to drivel.  My advice is come here for a month or two.  See for yourself what life here is like.  I came here with no prior knowledge and have learned a great deal. Having an open mind is the real key to living in a different culture.  My culture is not necessarily better, it's just different.

The students I teach are lovely young people.  For the most part they work hard to learn the subject material.  They don't complain; unlike the gringos.

What is the nightlife like?
I love to socialize and dance salsa.

@Antiguanian Good morning.  Your post was from 2014, so it's been a while. I am wondering if you still like living in Antigua. What are rentals there now like? I am looking for a 2 bedroom with a 1 car garage. Thanks in advance.

Hello Melinac,

Welcome !

Indeed these participants have been inactive for years now. I would suggest that you post a advert in the Housing in Guatemala section so that you may get some offers.

You may also contact real Estate professionals registered in the Real estate in Guatemala section to enquire.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna thank you!