Moving to Adelaide

Hi!

We have managed to get our permanent visa .I am  moving in alone to Adelaide in the month of Aug 2014 .My family will join me  once I settle in .Few questions
1. what are the key items he should carry with him ?

1.Which is the best suburb to stay in once he lands ? As it is his first time and I am  anxious and nervous do we book a hotel/service apartment and then scout around for a place .Pls advise as we would like to work within a shoe string budget .

2.What is the cost of renting a 1 bedroom studio apartment in Adelaide ?

3.Can we open a migrant banking account? Pls advise if yes and if no how do we ensure transfer of funds ?

4.Any other useful tips and advice through the first few stages .

Nandu

Hi Nandu and welcome to Expat.com :)

For some starting information, i will advise you to have a look at the Living in Australia guide section, there are some useful articles listed there.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank You Priscilla

Nandu

Hello Nandu,

Adelaide is a beautiful place to live.

Re : opening a bank account is pretty simply. Just present yourself to a local bank (Anz, commonwealth bank, wespac ; just to name a few top ones) with a proof of address, photo id and evidence of residence status n sitting up your account will be done. Money transfer again is easy to do; once the account is open here, all he'll need to do is get the bsb n account number from the bank as well as the bank international codes and address ( just let him ask the bank staff n they can guide him through the necessary steps.

Re: Apartment rentals are not too bad. Obviously it depends on what you're looking for , how much you want spend and how close to the you would like to be. Some economical ($140-200 per wk fully furnished) n equally good suburbs in the south are ; Marion , st. Mary's , Bedford park, daw park, Melrose park, Goodwood etc. if you something more expensive the try ; seacliff, somerton park, brighton, hove, glenelg etc ( pricy but great areas).

Hope you find this info helpful pls don't hesitate to ask for more info if need.

Safe travels 😊

C

Thank you Brij for sharing your thoughts .

Appreciate your effort

Regards,

Nandu