Cost of living in Lithuania

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Lithuania
. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Lithuania
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Lithuania
?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

I would like to know how much average priced apartment is in vilinus??? also utilities.

thank you   John

Living in Lithuania is pretty cheap and might be a very nice experience :). The experience mostly depends on the behaviour of foreigner. If a foreigner acts friendly and rationally, he or she would never get in trouble. Lithuanian people like honest people and it even doesn`t matter where he or she came from or how he or she looks like. Be friendly, be natural and you will enjoy your staying here.

So there is my answers who are intressted to live here.

I live in Vilnius (capital city and biggest city in Lithuania).
So it's most expensive city in Lithuania.

accommodation prices

It's different in diffirents areas.
But it costs from 500-2000 Litas per month (it's about from  200$-1000$). For 1000$ you should get really nice place in the center or other prestigues place. For 200$ you will get not so good place with many crimes and bad enviroment. I don't recommend to get it.
If you think about buying house or just room: prices is from 300 000 Litas- 3 million litas. It's about 100 000$- 1.5 million $.

public transportation fares

I recommend to get a car. But if you live in the center, you can get to other area quite fast.
Tickets cost about 2.5 litas (1$) or you can get month ticket. It costs 100 (or more) litas. It's about 40$.
Trains and buses between cities are quite expensive. If you got the car with diesel engine, I think you can get there where you want cheaper.
One liter petrol costs- 3.5 litas or 1.5$.
Diesel- 3.1 litas or it's about 1.3$.

food prices

In Vilnius are many big supermarkets. From poor quality food until good food.
So our family (5 peoples) spent about 1000 litas per month(400$).

health prices

If you got the job and pay taxes you just have to go to "Ligoniu kasos" and manage some papers. But health quality isn't good enough. I offer to get to private hospitals. You should pay, but quality is much better.

eduction prices

It's free. In Vilnius are very good schools. Just ask if you are intressted. I can recommend few.

energy prices

I can't say more. But for electricity we spent about 300 litas per month. It's more than 100$.
Warming in Vilnius is expensive. About 300-500 litas per month (more than 100$-200$). So you need water too. So you spent 50-150$ per month.

common bills

Internet in Lithuania is cheap and fast, good too. But if you live in right places.
It costs about from 30 litas until 100 litas per month. It's 10$- 40$ (for fastest internet (100mb/s)).
Television is cheape too. About 10$-30$ (30-100 chanels).
If you want to see just general channels (5-7). It's free.
Phone- 10$ (20 litas).
Mobile phone- from 5 litas to 100 or even 400 litas.
About 1$-200$. How many you talk so much you pay.

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

We have many places where you can get delicius food.
But to eat for 4 peoples costs about from 50 litas until 300. litas. So from 20$ until 100$.

prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub
Beer- 5 litas (2$). Best beer in the world :D
Coffee- 3-5 litas (1-2$).

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
I hope helped You.

our adoptive "daugther" will be 18 years and we want to give her the driver license as a present. What is the average price for a driver license,considering that you go twice for the practical excamivation.

Thanks
for reply

Bencz

Courses of driving costs about 1000 litas, this is about 290 euros.
Exams in "Regitra":
Theory about 10-15 euros.
Practical for first time about 20-30 euros and for second time it's a bit cheaper as I remember.
Total: 360 euros (if your daughter will be not successful).
:)

thanks for details

Thank you, minde, for such great specific answers. However, let me ask you a more general question. If you put all that information together, what would you say the amount of salary is (monthly, yearly, etc.) for a person to live comfortably in Lithuania? I realize that is a HUGE vague question, but I am just trying to gauge what the possibilities are. I don't even know if I can get a job in Lithuania, but if I could, I'd have trouble knowing what is a good wage. I would like to at least keep up with my current standard of living in the USA.

Hi Kira,

the questions is really hard, because every people have different needs. But as I see You are from USA. So if you do not want be very
uncomfortable living here I guess you need about 4,000 or around 5,000 LTL per month (today currency is 1 USD= 2.60 LTL). But it is possible to live from 3,000 or even 2,000 LTL per month. But it really depends from Your needs and circumstances (do you live alone or with friend, do you buy a car or use public transport, in what city you are going to live).
I can say more if I knew what is your degree and what is your profession, what you used to work before, because here in Lithuania with some jobs we have very serious problems like coruption, crowded market and so on.

Dear Minde,

Can you please suggest me if Vilnius has any English medium schools, are they free or (is the Lithuanian medium of education in English)or the regional language.
Can you please suggest some names of affordable English medium schools in Vilnius.

Thanking you in Anticipation,

Regards,
Cris

Hey Cris,

I am not sure about that, because I never took any interest into things like this. But I guess this school should fill all your needs: http://www.aisv.lt/

By the way, from that place you can see all  old town of Vilnius. Amazing place.

Hi Minde,

Thank you very much for proving valuable information for new comers. However, I need to know some more information about Lithuania.

I am from Pakistan and I did MBA - Finance in 2009 and I have 3 years job experience in Finance field but I can ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH & URDU, could you please tell me about the job market in Lithuania for English speaker, I know it is very difficult to get job without knowing official language and I would appreciate if you could also tell me about odd jobs in Lithuania so that in the mean time I will join any centre for learning native language.

Thank you in advance for helping me in this regard,
Monis Zafar

Hello Monis Zafar and welcome to Expat.com! :)

This thread is about Cost of living in Lithuania.

Why don't you start a new thread on the Lithuania forum with your questions on work? It will allow better interaction.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Monis,

I don't have a lot information about that, but I know that some World wide companies like Barclays opened their offices here. They hire people from around the World and I am pretty sure that they don't talk in lithuanian too. So you should try to get a job in such a big companies. I guess smaller companies will require lithuanian.

What would the living expense for a year for an international student cost?Can I live with 4000euros per year, including school? Or not?

hi i would like to know how much is it going to cost me to study a bachelor degree (civil engineering) in English

Hi all,

I am Gaurav Chavda from Surat, India. I just want to know that , I am planning to put up my file for Lithuania Temperary Residense Permit. I want to start my Tours and Travel office there. I am running my own office in Surat from last 12 years.

So, Please anybody let me know , is it viable to put my file for TRP.

Thanks.
Gaurav Chavda
surat
INDIA

hi,i want to come lithuania and want to get permanent residancy,whats the option for it and how much the cost and take time.thanks

(moderated: no free ads please)

Thanks Minde for all the information.

Hi;
To get Permanent Permit you need to apply for Temporary permit. There are different ways to apply for. This temporary permit issues for maximum 1 year. You should renew your TRP for at least 5 years to get your Permanent permit.

hi if i buy an apartment with my friend can i get permanent permit ?? how much i should pay for an apartment to get permanent permit??