New member introduction

Hello, I am Carlos. I live near Banos de Agua Santa. My wife and I bought a small farm and currently raise vegetables for the table, avocados, lemons, limes and mandarinas. We moved here from eastern NewMexico where we have been ranchers and farmers most of our lives. We moved to ecuador when I retired and are in the last part of getting our residence visa. Where we live the people are all ecuadorian farmers and they do things a lot different here. We have a house with a barn and a guesthouse.  My wife has discovered 20 different types of orchids growing in the wild parts of the property and there could be more. At some point we would allow visitors but there are some dangerous trails and poisonous critters that need to be dealt with before it would be safe to walk around in your flip flops. For now, the uniform of the day is hiking boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Some visitors we have had from the states thought this was a little backwoods from their norm but we like it. If we can help in some way, feel free to ask. I don"t know too much about cuenca but banos stays 60 at night and 75 during the day. (unless it is raining) . We like it here alot and hope others will, too. Thank You.  Carlos

Nice to see another farmer on here. My wife and I are also farmers. We live in Missouri and raise hogs, cattle and sheep. We haven't taken our first trip to Ecuador yet (still trying to find time!). I'd love to buy a small farm in the Cotacachi area.

Hello, Hogman.  We are trying to get our barn finished so we could get a few animals and have a place to keep them.
Here in ecuador they have 2 types of pigs. Black ones and white ones. Nobody  knows the proper names except black or white. They feed the black ones garbage and the white ones "balanciado". The meat they sell at the store is quite tough and no lard at all. A weiner pig costs $40.00 at the Peleleo Pork Emporiam, otherwise known as the mercado.
A man with the knowhow could do  very well here raising good, fat hogs.  There is no such thing as feeding them corn or other vegetable products they tell me, cause it is just "wasted money".  next time we will talk about the holstein bull beef herd that is so popular around here.

Carlos,
We raise about 13,000 pigs a year. Even though I have the know-how I'm not sure that is what I want to do if I ever make it to Ecuador! Maybe helping others learn to do it would be an option. I have finally booked a trip to Ecuador. My wife and I are coming the end of June for 2 weeks. I'm hoping it is everything I have read that it is once we get there.

Sounds wonderful.  Congratulations on your move.  Keep us updated.  Thanks.