A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

THIGV wrote:
bluenz wrote:

When my VEC expires, ( and I get a new passport ), I won't be wasting my time on another, I'll be applying for a TT Visa, ( 3 months ), then applying for a 3 yr TRC, no more 90 days BS.

Two things:   1) Can you tell me (us) what TT stands for?  Maybe it is somewhere earlier in this thread but it is getting a little bit long to re-read.  Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable ones here could post a list of abbreviations.

2) Can you get a TRC without a work permit or do we assume that you have a WP?  My understanding was the TRC's tied to language teaching work permits had been cut to two years and there was even talk of cutting them down to one.  A one year TRC would have fewer advantages over the VEC and probably costs close to or over the $40 US for the four VEC extensions.

" Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable ones ", with smart arse comments like that , I don't know why I'm even helping people on this page.
Actually I myself have posted these abbreviations on here numerous times, in many threads, they were even a pinned post because so many people can't be bothered going through old posts,  but last time the mods unpinned it as they were " worried " about copyright laws in VN, lol. I also asked them to delete all the irrelevant posts in this thread, but if they'd left my post pinned , they wouldn't have needed to.

I doubt if anyone actually knows what the TT stands for???? Does anyone know what DN, LD stands for???? I don't , and it doesn't bother me, all I know is what it can do and they range from 3 mths to 12 months.

Yes, you can get a TRC without a Work Permit NOW, not before, but you have to pass the same requirements as you would to get a VEC, yes they are more expensive, or maybe not depends where you live, and how much you mind dealing with queue jumping rude people in Immigration every 90 days. ( I was there yesterday for 40 minutes , most of that time was spent listening to officers telling morons how to fill out application forms. )

⦁    Accordingly, foreigners issued TT visa (including: foreigners are parents, spouse, and children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens) are considering issuing Vietnam Temporary Residence Card. This article is expanded for foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens.
⦁   
⦁    3. The duration of a NN1, NN2, TT temporary residence card shall not exceed 03 years.

Just for you, and this will be the LAST time I'm posting it.

Categories of Visa    Description / category of applicant entitled to    Duration of Visa    Duration of Temporary Resident Card
1    NG1-NG4    Diplomatic    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
2    LV1-LV2    Working with Vietnamese authorities/parties    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
3    ĐT    Investors/foreign lawyers    Up to 5 years    Up to 5 years
4    DN    Working with Vietnamese enterprises    Up to 12 months    NA
5    NN1-NN2    Chief Representative Office, Head of Project Office of foreign NGO), Chief rep of rep offices in VN.    Up to 12 months    Up to 3 years
6    NN3    Staffs of NGO, Rep office in VN    Up to 12 months    NA
7    DH    Students/ interns    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
8    HN    Attending meeting    Up to 3 months    NA
9    PV1    Journalists with permanent residence in VN    Up to 12 months    Up to 2 years
10    PV2    Journalists with short term residence in VN    Up to 12 months    NA
11    LĐ    Foreign workers    Up to 2 years    Up to 2 years
12    DL    Tourists    Up to 3 months    NA
13    TT    Dependents of 2,3,5,7,9,11    Up to 12 months    Up to 3 years
14    VR    Visiting relatives, other purpose    Up to 6 months    NA
15    SQ    Related to MOF, Consulate with the purpose of market research, visiting relatives, tourist, medical treatment    Up to 30 days    NA
  This never copies well. 

What's Changed?
New Visa Categories
The 20 new visa and Temporary Resident Card categories that will be implemented in January include several different categories for various types of foreign employees. The ones most applicable to Pro-Link GLOBAL's clients are likely to be:
• DN – applicable to foreign workers who will work as a local hire at a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 12 months.
• LĐ – applicable to Intra Company Transfers, as well as employees coming to work in Vietnam based on a contract between a foreign employer and a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 2 years;
• NN2 and NN3 – applicable for company heads and other staff, respectively, of representative offices in Vietnam, valid for up to 3 years.
The other work-related visa types include separate visas for managers of NGOs (NN1 – up to 12 months), journalists (PV1 and PV2, for longer term and short term assignments, both valid for up to 12 months) and for foreign investors and foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam (ĐT, up to 5 years). Note that a work permit is still required in combination with all of these mentioned visas.
Foreign nationals who come to Vietnam to engage in general business activities and/or to attend conventions or conferences will be able to apply for an HN visa (valid up to 3 months).
It is important to note that the above reflects the current interpretation of the new law. However, since the official law does not go into much detail regarding which category of visa applies to which specific type of foreign worker, it is likely that the interpretations of these visa categories will change upon the authorities' release of more detailed instructions. For example, this ambiguity is especially evident in the visa types DN (“Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam”) and LĐ (“Issued to people who come to work”).
In-Country Change of Status
While the in-country change of status from tourism or business to work was previously commonplace, the new law does not seem to allow such a conversion anymore. Therefore, it is expected from January 2015 onwards it will no longer be possible to enter Vietnam on non-work status with the purpose of filing a work permit, and remaining in-country once issued.
Rather, the employee should first apply for a work permit and, upon its issuance, obtain the appropriate visa to enter the country. This process can take 1 to 2 weeks from date of application at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Immigration Department by the sponsoring entity in Vietnam. Depending on the nationality and home country of the employee, the visa can then be collected either at a visa-issuing authorities (e.g. consulate) in the employee's home country or at a border checkpoint.
Exit and Entry Prohibitions
The new law also provides reasons why a foreign national may be banned from either entering or departing Vietnam.
Reasons for refusing someone to enter Vietnam:
• The person is a child under 14 years of age who is traveling without parents, guardians or authorized custodians;
• The person has forged papers or provided false information to obtain entry/exit/residence permit;
• The person is suffering from a mental disease or infectious disease that threatens the public health;
• The person was deported from Vietnam within the last 3 years, or was compelled to leave Vietnam within the last 6 months;
• For reasons of epidemic prevention, natural disasters, national defense, national security, social order, and social safety.
Reasons for refusing someone to exit Vietnam for up to 3 years:
• The person has been criminally charged or must serve a criminal sentence;
• The person is a defendant or a person with relevant obligations in a civil case pertaining to business, employment, administration, marriage and familial affairs;
• The person is obliged to comply with an administrative sanction;
• The person has not fulfilled their tax obligation;
• For reasons of national defense and security.
ACTION ITEMS FOR EMPLOYERS
Companies who plan to sponsor foreign employees, either coming on assignment or on local contract, should be aware that new visa categories will be implemented in January 2015 and that an in-country change of status may no longer be possible. As a result, the work permit will normally need to be obtained prior to the employee obtaining their visa and therefore a delay in the start date of employment from date of issuance of the work permit can be expected.

bluenz wrote:
THIGV wrote:
bluenz wrote:

When my VEC expires, ( and I get a new passport ), I won't be wasting my time on another, I'll be applying for a TT Visa, ( 3 months ), then applying for a 3 yr TRC, no more 90 days BS.

Two things:   1) Can you tell me (us) what TT stands for?  Maybe it is somewhere earlier in this thread but it is getting a little bit long to re-read.  Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable ones here could post a list of abbreviations.

2) Can you get a TRC without a work permit or do we assume that you have a WP?  My understanding was the TRC's tied to language teaching work permits had been cut to two years and there was even talk of cutting them down to one.  A one year TRC would have fewer advantages over the VEC and probably costs close to or over the $40 US for the four VEC extensions.

" Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable ones ", with smart arse comments like that , I don't know why I'm even helping people on this page.
Actually I myself have posted these abbreviations on here numerous times, in many threads, they were even a pinned post because so many people can't be bothered going through old posts,  but last time the mods unpinned it as they were " worried " about copyright laws in VN, lol. I also asked them to delete all the irrelevant posts in this thread, but if they'd left my post pinned , they wouldn't have needed to.

I doubt if anyone actually knows what the TT stands for???? Does anyone know what DN, LD stands for???? I don't , and it doesn't bother me, all I know is what it can do and they range from 3 mths to 12 months.

Yes, you can get a TRC without a Work Permit NOW, not before, but you have to pass the same requirements as you would to get a VEC, yes they are more expensive, or maybe not depends where you live, and how much you mind dealing with queue jumping rude people in Immigration every 90 days. ( I was there yesterday for 40 minutes , most of that time was spent listening to officers telling morons how to fill out application forms. )

⦁    Accordingly, foreigners issued TT visa (including: foreigners are parents, spouse, and children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens) are considering issuing Vietnam Temporary Residence Card. This article is expanded for foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens.
⦁   
⦁    3. The duration of a NN1, NN2, TT temporary residence card shall not exceed 03 years.

Just for you, and this will be the LAST time I'm posting it.

Categories of Visa    Description / category of applicant entitled to    Duration of Visa    Duration of Temporary Resident Card
1    NG1-NG4    Diplomatic    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
2    LV1-LV2    Working with Vietnamese authorities/parties    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
3    ĐT    Investors/foreign lawyers    Up to 5 years    Up to 5 years
4    DN    Working with Vietnamese enterprises    Up to 12 months    NA
5    NN1-NN2    Chief Representative Office, Head of Project Office of foreign NGO), Chief rep of rep offices in VN.    Up to 12 months    Up to 3 years
6    NN3    Staffs of NGO, Rep office in VN    Up to 12 months    NA
7    DH    Students/ interns    Up to 12 months    Up to 5 years
8    HN    Attending meeting    Up to 3 months    NA
9    PV1    Journalists with permanent residence in VN    Up to 12 months    Up to 2 years
10    PV2    Journalists with short term residence in VN    Up to 12 months    NA
11    LĐ    Foreign workers    Up to 2 years    Up to 2 years
12    DL    Tourists    Up to 3 months    NA
13    TT    Dependents of 2,3,5,7,9,11    Up to 12 months    Up to 3 years
14    VR    Visiting relatives, other purpose    Up to 6 months    NA
15    SQ    Related to MOF, Consulate with the purpose of market research, visiting relatives, tourist, medical treatment    Up to 30 days    NA
  This never copies well. 

What's Changed?
New Visa Categories
The 20 new visa and Temporary Resident Card categories that will be implemented in January include several different categories for various types of foreign employees. The ones most applicable to Pro-Link GLOBAL's clients are likely to be:
• DN – applicable to foreign workers who will work as a local hire at a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 12 months.
• LĐ – applicable to Intra Company Transfers, as well as employees coming to work in Vietnam based on a contract between a foreign employer and a Vietnamese company, valid for up to 2 years;
• NN2 and NN3 – applicable for company heads and other staff, respectively, of representative offices in Vietnam, valid for up to 3 years.
The other work-related visa types include separate visas for managers of NGOs (NN1 – up to 12 months), journalists (PV1 and PV2, for longer term and short term assignments, both valid for up to 12 months) and for foreign investors and foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam (ĐT, up to 5 years). Note that a work permit is still required in combination with all of these mentioned visas.
Foreign nationals who come to Vietnam to engage in general business activities and/or to attend conventions or conferences will be able to apply for an HN visa (valid up to 3 months).
It is important to note that the above reflects the current interpretation of the new law. However, since the official law does not go into much detail regarding which category of visa applies to which specific type of foreign worker, it is likely that the interpretations of these visa categories will change upon the authorities' release of more detailed instructions. For example, this ambiguity is especially evident in the visa types DN (“Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam”) and LĐ (“Issued to people who come to work”).
In-Country Change of Status
While the in-country change of status from tourism or business to work was previously commonplace, the new law does not seem to allow such a conversion anymore. Therefore, it is expected from January 2015 onwards it will no longer be possible to enter Vietnam on non-work status with the purpose of filing a work permit, and remaining in-country once issued.
Rather, the employee should first apply for a work permit and, upon its issuance, obtain the appropriate visa to enter the country. This process can take 1 to 2 weeks from date of application at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Immigration Department by the sponsoring entity in Vietnam. Depending on the nationality and home country of the employee, the visa can then be collected either at a visa-issuing authorities (e.g. consulate) in the employee's home country or at a border checkpoint.
Exit and Entry Prohibitions
The new law also provides reasons why a foreign national may be banned from either entering or departing Vietnam.
Reasons for refusing someone to enter Vietnam:
• The person is a child under 14 years of age who is traveling without parents, guardians or authorized custodians;
• The person has forged papers or provided false information to obtain entry/exit/residence permit;
• The person is suffering from a mental disease or infectious disease that threatens the public health;
• The person was deported from Vietnam within the last 3 years, or was compelled to leave Vietnam within the last 6 months;
• For reasons of epidemic prevention, natural disasters, national defense, national security, social order, and social safety.
Reasons for refusing someone to exit Vietnam for up to 3 years:
• The person has been criminally charged or must serve a criminal sentence;
• The person is a defendant or a person with relevant obligations in a civil case pertaining to business, employment, administration, marriage and familial affairs;
• The person is obliged to comply with an administrative sanction;
• The person has not fulfilled their tax obligation;
• For reasons of national defense and security.
ACTION ITEMS FOR EMPLOYERS
Companies who plan to sponsor foreign employees, either coming on assignment or on local contract, should be aware that new visa categories will be implemented in January 2015 and that an in-country change of status may no longer be possible. As a result, the work permit will normally need to be obtained prior to the employee obtaining their visa and therefore a delay in the start date of employment from date of issuance of the work permit can be expected.

Hi,
Can you you type this again for me and highlight any relevant material?
Also can you underline any non essential information?
I found it too long to read and I think you should use different colours and fonts so I can understand it better.
Thanks for your help.

Free Việt Nam Visa Exemption Certificate (VEC)

Việt Nam VEC is now free of cost!
Dear expats, I just got my VEC for 5 years. As you know well this should extend each 90 days (3 months) as before. Somebody posted, there is new rule which allows a 180 days (6 months) stay in Việt Nam but still from this VEC, issued by 254 Nguyen Trai immigration office, Q.1 is for 3 months stay. Don't know what is exactly going on in future! As for now, this is the situation. Actually I don't like this 3 months extension program though. My TRC will expire in December so need something to stay here. Actually I am entitled to get a TRC ( yes, TRC without work permit is available for spouses, parents and children of Vietnamese citizen  at 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai) but should go out from Việt Nam after applied and stay 2-3 weeks until I can collect it from my embassy outside Việt Nam. That's a tough case for me now and we cannot believe these guys all time. That's why I choose VEC option. My second option was a TT visa plus 3 year TRC. Because of current work related TRC I should move out from here and re-enter? Because of these reasons, I compelled to choose  the VEC. But still I should exit and re-enter because of my current TRC. Yeah, am bit lazy too!
Anyway, this VEC is absolutely free now and for the forthcoming extensions, according to the immigration department, HCMC.
It took 2 days to get the Visa Exemption Certificate (VEC). Here is the steps for expats who wish to grab one:-
Collect the necessary forms, copies of documents needed, residence document and sponsor document sign and sealed from your registered police station house officer, photos and original documents.

Documents needed for applying for a VEC:
1. Application form for certificate of visa exemption (Tờ khai miễn thị thực, Mẫu N19)
2. Sponsoring document of Vietnamese spouse (Giấy bảo lãnh, Mẫu N20)
3. Residence document from your registered police station house officer (Giấy xác nhận tạm trú)
4. Photocopy of ID card (Vietnamese husband/wife) (Take original documents for verification)
5. Photocopy of family book (Vietnamese husband/wife) (Take original documents for verification)
6. Photocopy of Passport (foreign husband/wife) (Take original documents for verification)
7. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate (Take original documents for verification)
8. 2 photos (4x6)

Step 1:
-------
Collect the "Sponsoring document" and "Residence document" which showing that you are residing in that police station jurisdiction. Here is a sample form which you can type and print for your Residence Document:

Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt Nam
Độc Lập - Tự Do - Hạnh Phúc
------------------------------------------
ĐƠN XÁC NHẬN TẠM TRÚ

Kính gửi: Ban Chỉ Huy Công An Phường …, Quận …, TP.HCM.
Tôi tên:
Quốc Tịch:………- Sinh ngày:……..
Nghề nghiệp: …..
Số Passport: ……. Cấp ngày ……
Tôi làm đơn này kính xin Ban Chỉ Huy Công An Phường …, Quận …., TP.HCM xác nhận cho tôi là hiện đang tạm trú tại ……………………………..
Lý do: Bổ túc hồ sơ
Tôi xin chân thành cảm ơn và cam kết nội dung trình bày này là đúng sự thật.
Kính đơn.
Xác nhận của Cơ Quan Công An            Tp.HCM,ngày………tháng……..…năm………
                                           Người  viết đơn

Step 2:
-------
If your wife/husband is residing another place other than their permanent address, your current jurisdictional police may ask for the "Sponsoring document" should signed and sealed by the permanent residence address police which shows in their national ID. In that case, you should fetch the same from the permanent address jurisdiction police.

Step 3:
-------
After collect the above documents, get ready for VEC application along with photos, copies and originals to 254 Nguyen Trai immigration office, Q.1. Who may go and apply? Of course your spouse is suitable for this task. Or you can go and apply or both of you! Just think it as a short picnic!
When you reach the immigration office, Collect the token from counter and wait in queue for application. When your chance come, they will collect all necessary documents and give you a date for collect your passport with the new free VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate) affixed in it. Normally it takes 5 days. Here is the new VEC:

http://s11.postimg.org/hw29ojqub/VEC_Vietnam.png

Enjoy your stay in Việt Nam!

Information Courtesy:Nguyen Ngoc Thuong    (Easy English House)

" Because of current work related TRC I should move out from here and re-enter? Because of these reasons, I compelled to choose  the VEC. "

You can't work on a VEC,  or your English isn't very good???
The VEC has always been " free ", you're only paying for the Residence Card, ( the 90 day stamp, $10 )
A 3 year TRC, is only $20 more than 3 years of a VEC, why would anyone bother????

I know well that no one can work with a VEC or TRC !
Of course my English is very bad as am an Indian but I think people can understand what I wrote clearly  :)
Native English people are best (in language)! Agreed  :)
I just passed the information which I got from the immigration office about 'free' and I didn't pay. As I stated before, cannot believe immigration guys' words. They may roll.
You should check the original post about the then fee!

bluenz wrote:

The VEC has always been free , you're only paying for the Residence Card, ( the 90 day stamp, $10 )
A 3 year TRC, is only $20 more than 3 years of a VEC, why would anyone bother????

charmavietnam wrote:

I know well that no one can work with a VEC or TRC !
Of course my English is very bad as am an Indian but I think people can understand what I wrote clearly  :)
Native English people are best (in language)! Agreed  :)
I just passed the information which I got from the immigration office about 'free' and I didn't pay. As I stated before, cannot believe immigration guys' words. They may roll.
You should check the original post about the then fee!

bluenz wrote:

The VEC has always been free , you're only paying for the Residence Card, ( the 90 day stamp, $10 )

Sorry Charma but it isn't very clear, ( maybe to non native English speakers who " manage " to somehow read between the lines?? )
I actually thought you had copied and pasted it from somewhere else, usually I don't have a problem understanding your English, and I knew, that you knew about not working with a VEC.
" current work related TRC "  means that they already have a TRC because of your work, and I knew you didn't have a TRC,

So you're saying your new VEC, with the 90 days Residence card, ( stamp ), cost you nothing?  so we should be asking them next time, why we are paying every 90 days,  it's the same thing isn't it?
What do you mean , " they will roll ",    get their arse kicked for not charging you?, lol.

I'll explain this one more time for the person on here who is too bloody lazy to read previous comments or threads on VEC's and Work Permits, ( or too THICK to understand them,  you know who you are. ).

BEFORE when you had a VEC, you couldn't get a TRC, they were only for spouses and siblings of holders of TRC's.  ( you already know this part ).

Now THIS year, if you have a VEC, and you want a TRC, you NEED to apply for a TT Visa first, before applying for the TRC, ( whatever the TT stands for, maybe ask an Immigration officer, you won't find it any website, as YOU found out, and while you're at it , ask what the initials for the LD, DN, etc, Visas are for , enlighten US for a change ),
IF you don't have a VEC, i.e , just married to a VN, you don't need a TT visa, you can apply directly for a TRC, ( as posted on Expat a couple of months ago, with verification from a VN on here, who works with the law ).

I just need this point from you  :)
About today's posting, that's my experience and the picture it's mine.  No need to copy paste. Just want to share others to obtain, if they need.
Work related TRC means, TRC I obtained previously. As you know  we need a work permit then to make a TRC. But, in fact I made it with the help of a law firm in which may be they showed that am working in that firm! Still that is a valid TRC and will expire next month (3 years).
Again, I should move from here because of the new rule ( yeah, that rule they want to follow) and re-enter. Just Moc Bai enough  :) 
About stamping, one of the staff told that it's free from now on. But still need to wait until I get stamped whether pay or not. 'Rolling", just a phrase I used to show their unstable character. Hope you understand now  :)

bluenz wrote:

I actually thought you had copied and pasted it from somewhere else, usually I don't have a problem understanding your English

bluenz wrote:
THIGV wrote:

My question asking what TT stood for was posted in good faith so a simple "I don't know" would suffice.  My use of the term  "more knowledgeable ones" was also used in good faith and as you answered my query, I suppose you feel that you meet that description.  Henceforth, in the future I will try to avoid asking you questions directly as you seem easily irritated.  I certainly wouldn't want you to feel put upon.

THIGV wrote:
bluenz wrote:
THIGV wrote:

My question asking what TT stood for was posted in good faith so a simple "I don't know" would suffice.  My use of the term  "more knowledgeable ones" was also used in good faith and as you answered my query, I suppose you feel that you meet that description.  Henceforth, in the future I will try to avoid asking you questions directly as you seem easily irritated.  I certainly wouldn't want you to feel put upon.

My answer's weren't just for you, just that nobody has ever worried about what the TT stood for before, ( or LD, DN, etc, etc ).
Maybe in the future you could take the extra 5 minutes to read previous posts, then you wouldn't have to ask anyone who is " more knowledgeable ", ( but you would have found exactly the same info, from the same person ), But don't worry, you're not alone there, and you probably never will be.

And as I said, if the mods/admins had left my posts pinned, nobody would have to go through all the rubbish in this, and other Visa and Work Permit related threads, ( and there has been many ), I had covered them all, with ACCURATE and current information, copied from GOVT websites, because listening to hearsay, and first hand experiences of EXpats has proved me, and others,  to be wrong occasionally.

hi all.
Has anything changed since all these 2014 posts? I have 10 year passport, new, will be marrying a Vietnamese lady and living there to set up business etc.
Any advise will be most welcome

The last posts were November 8, 2015 and that information is current.

Indeed there have been changes to the VEC. Now you don't have renew it every 90 days, at a cost of $10.00. New holders will renew once a year and pay a $40.00 annual fee. It all equals out as you can see. I think the new way is more convenient perhaps.If you already have a VEC you will stick w/ it until it expires, then you switch to the new one. In your case you will be under the new system.

As an update, one of our member ( colinoscapee) got his VEC stamped for 6 months without paying any stamping fee in the Moc Bai gate. So we can sure 2 things - VEC is absolutely free and the new rule for extension is 6 months instead the old 3 months.

Guys, here is the latest update of my VEC:
I went to *Moc Bai and got the first stamp for 6 months.
Also I needed to cross the *Bavet border to get the Cambodia visa ($35) then enter and exit from Cambodia (just 20 minutes all together) and came back to the Moc Bai immigration, then they stamped it for 6 months!
Yes, I tried to not take the Cambodia visa but the Vietnam immigration guy suggested to get Cambodia exit visa stamp. From next time I don't need to go out of Vietnam. Just can stamp inside.
Anyway, VEC Vietnam is absolutely free from now on and the extension period is 6 months instead old 3 months!

* Moc Bai is the border immigration check point of Vietnam
* Bavet is the border immigration check point of the Kingdom of Cambodia

The 5 year visa exempt paper glued into your passport allow you to enter  Vietnam every 90 days having no sponsor letter.. The 5 year visa in your passport is stamped for thirty day entrance into
Vietnam for any person married or working or related thus do not need a sponsor letter with a new
visa application... 

Optional a 3 year temporary resident  visa was issued to married or relative of a family sponsor 

As of November 1 2015 HCMC Immigration refused to RENEW a TEMPORARY RESIDENT or a 5
year visa free entry... The HCMC Immigration at this time will not accept Temporary Resident
forms or 5 year visa forms.. HCMC Immigration is telling people maybe next year some time and
sorry can not help...

Up until September 2015 HCMC Immigration was able to stamp your 5 year visa free entry every
90 days but as of November 2015 HCMC Immigration has little directions depending on who you
talk to about temporary residence or stamping 5 year visa free entry every 90 days

@expatviet:
Please do not confuse members with broken and inaccurate information about immigration documents.

i am responding to your 5 year visa free stamp that you left vietnam and then re enter vietnam..  did you know that the 5 year visa free can be renewed every 90 days... what i wrote was the real facts nothing but real facts...  in your case you left the country to get a stamp on your 5 year visa free passport..  why di you leave if all you wanted was a rubber stamp for another 90 days? why did you
not goto to HCMC Immigration and get the facts and talk about what happen as of November 1, so
decided to travel outside the borders of Vietnam and then pay 35USD and then return inside the border of Vietnam for free on your 5 yeAR VISA FREE ENTRANCE passport and not go to HCMC Immigration and just get a little rubber stamp for another 90 days staying inside Vietnam?

Then you should look my posts (#283 & #295) to understand why I need a border cross.
As stated renewal is now 180 days (6 months).

yes 180 days is great step forward after paying for a 5 year VEC free entry passport. We are all inside the same boat floating over Vietnam Immigration policy changes... My factual report was November 1
2015 when inside the HCMC Immigration Office what happen...   ANY WAY from your experience if
one does leave Vietnam and then re-enter with a 5 year VEC in conclusion it shall be stamped entry
permitted for 180 days....

I was not able to get stamped more than 90 days staying inside Vietnam
and was told at HCMC Immigration sorry and wait "maybe next year some time"... this is a fact...

@ expatviet > It will be great if you can post the source of your information on the forum itself in order to avoid inducing others into error.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

I am missing something here. I have been here 27 months. I give my passport to my Vietnamese wife, she goes to the Police Station, they keep it for a week, she goes back, gives them $10USD (or the equivalent in Dong), it's stamped for another 90 days. Never had any problems, no hassles, all goes well. Never had to make a border run either. Am I missing something?

apologize for stepping out of order detailing facts of November 01 at HCM City Immigration office...
i was there with photos forms and verified documents to get 3 year TRC

Same day after arrival at HCM City Tan Son Nhat airport with a 5 year visa free entry that for your facts was stamped 90 days only and was not stamped at the airport for 180 days on November 1 2015.

Afternoon at HCM City Immigration with all dependant photo, forms as is documents at the counter'
I was told Temporary Resident are not being filed any longer.. I asked to talk to a manager and walked next door to the management office where I was again tol sorry maybe next year new changes...

I have no intention to confuse any body reading Vietnam Immigration policy and proceedures we are all floating inside the same boat over Vietnam visa / resident policy changes.

Today December 18 i telephoned HCM City Immigration and asked for English speaking translation
and again was told no applications accepted wait perhaps next year for new regulations about
Temporary Residence and Visa Exemption form filing regulations.. HCM City Immigration phone
number to call 083 829 9398 ask for English and wait for operator to transffer you to an Immigration
agent....

I have a VEC and just arrived Vietnam last month. Evidently at Tan Son Nhat airport they allowed me 6 months stay.

I found this out just today from my wife. She went to the local police to register my house stay and they made her re-do the paperwork because she's used to putting staying until 3 months later but in passport it says 6 months.

If you feel the 6 months extensions difficult, then you can get a TRC which you are eligible to obtain  :)

khanh44 wrote:

I have a VEC and just arrived Vietnam last month. Evidently at Tan Son Nhat airport they allowed me 6 months stay.

I found this out just today from my wife. She went to the local police to register my house stay and they made her re-do the paperwork because she's used to putting staying until 3 months later but in passport it says 6 months.

Can confirm that the VEC stamp is now for 6 months. I noticed this when I entered Vietnam last month (through Tan Son Nhat airport) and thought it was an error. But it seems to be 6 months now, great policy change :)

Hi guys,
I just received my 3 year TRC. So no hassles of VEC 6 months extensions.
The cost of TRC is $155.
As you know VEC is free!
TRC is now 9x5.5cm business card size.
http://s9.postimg.org/64emt8tjj/9x11_TRC_Vietnam.jpg

Outstanding reporting  from charmavietnam...  It is a TRC good for three years... Do not need reporting to the Vientan Immigration evey 90 days and fill out police report every 90 days...

Nov 2015, Immigration at Saigon:  5 year VEC must be stamped every 90 days printed clear on
the glued in VEC passport page of 5 year VEC....

The 3 year TRC according to charmavietnam is available at the Saigon Immigration Center and is the best choice for people who remote  travel to family registered police station to file 90 day police report and then have police  forward report to stamp at  Hanoi / Danang HCM every 90 day extension...

The TRC is good for unlimited exit and entry any time during the 3 years and one does not have to file police and then Immigration reports every 90 days... 

Immigration has no RETIREMENT resident application same as example Thailand where one can
get a RETIREMENT resident visa for 60 USD and to be qualified as no problem deposit 28,000USD
in a Thailand bank, over 50 years old, be married to Thai national.

Vietnam Immigration should be encouraged to offer same terms to people over 50 years of age who show a financial security deposit and also have a Vietnam family connection, marriage, children, etc.
Now that Vietnam permit foreigners to purchase and own apartments these VISA and TRC papers
are a prejudiced policy for retired people with money and Vietnam family blood.

My facts and just the facts my 5 year visa exempt was stamped again for 90 days January again
and with the police report filed I waited 3 days for the return of passport stamped with a 90 day extension...

This is very confusing because i enter Vietnam airport November  was stamped for 90 days with a 5 year VEC and then after 90 days renew the VEC stamp  once again stamped 90 days..

These are the facts and nothing but facts, based on charmavietnam story a TRC is available with no
problem and a VEC is stamped good for 180 days, have no idea what the hell went wrong or who
the hell decided to disagree with charmavietnam explanation of my   passport  stamp certification.... 

charmavietnam people who want the 180 day stamp ask you to explain step by step who you
talked to at the Cambodia border and who you talked to for your TRC ?

Do you have an ASEAN country passport or a EURO AUSTRALIA USA original passport?

If you have original ASEAN passport it may be why you receiving 180 day stamp and a TRC with no problems using the Immigration form N9A for your Vietnam Resident card application

Please explain the forms you filed, where you filed and paid also the country original issued passport
Thank you

expatviet wrote:

Same day after arrival at HCM City Tan Son Nhat airport with a 5 year visa free entry that for your facts was stamped 90 days only and was not stamped at the airport for 180 days on November 1 2015.

This as of 24/12/15.  Entry date was 01/11/15.

khanh44 wrote:

This as of 25/12/15.  Date of entry is not stated exactly but some time in November.

quankiquanki wrote:

Can confirm that the VEC stamp is now for 6 months. I noticed this when I entered Vietnam last month (through Tan Son Nhat airport) and thought it was an error. But it seems to be 6 months now, great policy change :)

This as of 03/01/16.  Date of entry is not stated exactly but some time in November or December.

expatviet wrote:

This is very confusing because i enter Vietnam airport November  was stamped for 90 days with a 5 year VEC and then after 90 days renew the VEC stamp  once again stamped 90 days..

These are the facts and nothing but facts, based on charmavietnam story a TRC is available with no
problem and a VEC is stamped good for 180 days, have no idea what the hell went wrong or who
the hell decided to disagree with charmavietnam explanation of my   passport  stamp certification....

Posted  03/01/16. 

Based on the above I would ascertain:

1)  Immigration began to grant 180 days on VEC's some time during November, but after 01/11, and so far only at the point of entry. 

2) At least one individual whose initial entry stamp was for 90 days was only able to obtain a 90 day renewal.

3) For those who received an initial 180 day stamp, extensions may be held to 90 days only  It remains to be seen if those who received 180 day stamps will have them renewed for 90 or 180 day and we likely won't know for sure until May.

@expatviet
You can see my nationality from my profile - Indian  :)
I think there is no discrimination in issuing a VEC or renewal duration according to the new rule.
As I mentioned in many posts, immigration guys are little back in enforcing latest law updates in various offices.
I got the 5 years VEC in November 2015 and the first 180 days stamp from Moc Bai immigration office (Vietnam immigration check point near Cambodia) on 17th December. I just give my passport (I don't know what is coffee/tea money) only. Anyway, I just applied and got the TRC within a week for 3 years. That cost me $155 which is 3500.000 VND.

I was again refused forms mentioned for resident applications because was instructed to follow new forms posted by Hanoi Immigration Office, they posted in Vietnamese and attached Google translation for those interested in downloading Visa and Resident forms for Vietnam... The old N7A and N7B and N9A forms was nowhere located, was told obsolete. This is what is on the web today

https://translate.google.com/translate? … ome.jsp%23http://vnimm.gov.vn/nimppPW/appmanager/ … nuHome.jsphttp://vnimm.gov.vn/nimppPW/appmanager/ … nuHome.jsp

expatviet wrote:

I was again refused forms mentioned for resident applications because was instructed to follow new forms posted by Hanoi Immigration Office, they posted in Vietnamese and attached Google translation for those interested in downloading Visa and Resident forms for Vietnam... The old N7A and N7B and N9A forms was nowhere located, was told obsolete. This is what is on the web today

https://translate.google.com/translate? … ome.jsp%23http://vnimm.gov.vn/nimppPW/appmanager/ … nuHome.jsphttp://vnimm.gov.vn/nimppPW/appmanager/ … nuHome.jsp

I am trying to post this without seeming to sound like the "grammar police" but your style of writing run on sentences without verbs makes it difficult to fully understand what you are trying to say.

1-It seems from you prior posts that you have a VEC but have been unable to obtain a 6 month stamp.  Are you wanting to apply for a TRC instead?  If so you should check the new thread on that subject. Mr Charma gives a detailed list of what documents are required.

2-Does your reference to the Hanoi Immigration Office imply that you are in Hanoi or are you simply referring to the website?  What office is rejecting your requests for information and forms or are you trying to find forms online?  These two pages have links to download the NA7 and NA8:
http://www.xuatnhapcanh.com.vn/c31t603- … et-nam.htmhttp://www.xuatnhapcanh.com.vn/c31t602- … -ngoai.htm

3-If you are asking about a VEC, may we assume you have a spouse who is a Vietnamese citizen or are you applying on your own behalf as a Viet Kieu?  Why not have your sponsor make the inquiries?  Keep a low profile and let them ask the questions.

I hope I have not upset you with these questions but somehow this process doesn't seem to be working for you.

Thanks THIGV!
I think I missed the application detail for TRC in that thread. A full set of applications with printed envelope with detail can purchase from the Immigration Office with a small fee. I quoted the respective form numbers but not sure they altered it or not. I suggest buy a copy from Immigration Office and ask full details before you submit other than download from the net because all immigration office system and procedure is not same even though law same  :)

just caught me before just going off line... so i stay to answer... I do have a 3 years used portion of
a 5 year VEC... The five year VEC shall expire in two years. The 5 year VEC was and is used to travel out of Saigon / Hanoi airports. My last entry at Saigon was November one... I was stamped enter for 90 days at the Saigon airport.

I stayed in Saigon over night  to apply for a TRC using the VEC and all other necessary documents.. prepared,  downloaded FORMS N7A N7B for Temporary Residence and also prepared FORM N9 for Full Resident application....

The Saigon central Immigration office has several windows and seats in front, where you must wait November 2. 2015. I was told..  at the window, bluntly,  no resident applications are taken until 2016...

I asked at the window, the helper to get me a manager in charge and was told to go outside to the left of the door, another  office, where a manager informed me, "sorry no applications are taken until 2016. maybe next year, new changes"......

To continue I was not even asked or requested to show VEC, TRC, or Re4sident papers all prepared and ready with photos...  I was just told to try maybe next year when Immigration at Saigon shall have new policy and procedure what ever that means in Vietnamese...

We are all in the same Vietnam country and close to the TET holidays where all Vietnam government fice closed down, nothing open,   late  January, starting early I asked for the VEC 90 day extension
stamp file papers and signed at police the+ book and paid nothing to get again only 90 days...

When i remarked that some people are receiving 180 days stamps from a VEC entry or possible 180
day  VEC renewal I was bluntly told not true it was a false story the VEC is stamped on the VEC good for 90 days and may be extended filing forms every ninety days....

The Hanoi forms attached are the Vietnam Ministry Security office forms presented from their
office responsible for all Immigration forms... The web show all the stamps and passports and resident forms issued 2016... 

For now I plan to travel outside Vietnam so again try to apply for a TRC at the end of 2016 when
once again from the Saigon airport  VEC stamp I goto the Saigon central Immigration and try to
get the 3 year TRC.

It is a severe head ache costing time and mobey getting a VEC 90 days stamp extension away from Saigon..  The police form and stamp must be from inside the area where your
sponsor is alive and registered.  Then you goto Immigration office and wait 3 days or more to have them stamp and then return your VEC passport....

expatviet wrote:

You are lucky and have a simple duty when you live in Saigon, Hanoim or Danang and have a local police history with a local resident Immigration office to get your extension of stay stamp....

Again your stream of consciousness writing style is a little hard to follow but the above tells me that you do not live in one of the big 3.  If so that should be all the more reason to keep working to obtain the TRC.  Next time you enter through TSN why not go to Nguyen Du Street and pick up the packet that Charmavietnam described above.  Then take it to wherever you live in the countryside to complete the locally sourced documents.  You may have to return to HCM to submit it but at least you will be done for 3 years.  I also notice that you use the first person "I" to describe your interactions with the bureaucracy.   If possible, why not  have your sponsor submit the application for you. If your sponsor is an elderly grandparent then you may need to go yourself but if not, just sit quietly in your seat, be available if needed, and let the sponsor go up to the desk.  After my first VEC extension, my wife told me on no uncertain terms that it was better if I stayed home.

expatviet wrote:

Have no idea if the other Immigration office obey Hanoi instructions as all this VISA paper work has a very big problem with real estate apartment sales available to foreign buyers with only a VEC that is not a TRC....

If a VEC was previously a requirement for foreign buyers then it stands to reason that a TRC would qualify one as well but of course nothing says that regulations in Vietnam have to be reasonable.  Do you have a definitive source for this statement or is it simply conjecture on your part?

THIGV wrote:

your stream of consciousness writing style is a little hard to follow ...

:cool:

I think I pointed in the TRC thread that persons with TT Visa or VEC are eligible to apply for a 3 year TRC.
@expatviet
Actually I don't know where do you live or your sponsor live.
I know one thing that this TRC is available from November 2015 and many expatriates got already and posted in social media sites.
In my case, I am living in Q.5, HCMC and my sponsor applied and obtained the VEC and later the TRC. Both within one month.
TRC address: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Q.1, HCMC, Vietnam
VEC address: 254 Nguyen Trai, Q.1
I didn't go to these offices but my sponsor.

THANK YOU for suggestions,
To clarify all the facts and nothing more than the facts username  expatviet.
posted what happen November 2015, read above herein...

Next time to continue shall be last quarter of 2016 when expatviet shall try again  3 year TRC...

2015 expatviet prepared all information of TRC to deliver,  but was told TRC papers are not accepted until 2016.

2016 expatviet phoned Saigon Immigration (posted above phone number) was told again no TRC application accepted  Saigonj... number to call 083 829 9398 ask for English wait operator locate English speaking help inside

Saigon Immigration ....call 083 829 9398 SaIGON iMMIGRATION MINISTRY VIETNAM

Please somebody from Saigon  ((( if interested in a TRC )))   make one local phone call

UPDATE  POST HERE ADD TO THIS POST ANSWERS
to any body who has all the documents, ready, able to walk,  travel to Saigon Immigration for
a 3 year  Temporary Resident Card... or a new Resident Card 

We are all in the same boat floating inside Vietnam Immigration water described by what happen to expatviet ready and prepared, walked into Saigon Immigration November 2015.. (read all post)

2016 updates about VEC and TRC facts and nothing but facts are of great help
avoiding facts of a blunt example, read above all post.... Immigration did not even look or ask
for TRC papers just declared sorry,  no TRC applications taken November 2015 at Saigon,

It is good news when Saigon IS TAKING OR IS NOT TAKING, walk in TRC applications, 

All people who want TRC would like to know that Immigration window is open for TRC business
UPDATE  POST HERE ADD TO THIS POST ANSWERS
to any body who has all the documents, ready, able to walk,  travel to Saigon Immigration for
a 3 year  Temporary Resident Card... or a new Resident Card  call 083 829 9398
SAIGON  iMMIGRATION - SECURITY MINISTRY OF VIETNAM OFFICE PHONE

Seems like a nice google translation from Tiếng Việt  :)

expatviet wrote:

just caught me before just going off line... so i stay to answer... I do have a 3 years used portion of
a 5 year VEC... The five year VEC shall expire in two years. The 5 year VEC was and is used to travel out of Saigon / Hanoi airports. My last entry at Saigon was November one... I was stamped enter for 90 days at the Saigon airport.

I stayed in Saigon over night  to apply for a TRC using the VEC and all other necessary documents.. prepared,  downloaded FORMS N7A N7B for Temporary Residence and also prepared FORM N9 for Full Resident application....

The Saigon central Immigration office has several windows and seats in front, where you must wait November 2. 2015. I was told..  at the window, bluntly,  no resident applications are taken until 2016...

I asked at the window, the helper to get me a manager in charge and was told to go outside to the left of the door, another  office, where a manager informed me, "sorry no applications are taken until 2016. maybe next year, new changes"......

To continue I was not even asked or requested to show VEC, TRC, or Re4sident papers all prepared and ready with photos...  I was just told to try maybe next year when Immigration at Saigon shall have new policy and procedure what ever that means in Vietnamese...

We are all in the same Vietnam country and close to the TET holidays where all Vietnam government fice closed down, nothing open,   late  January, starting early I asked for the VEC 90 day extension
stamp file papers and signed at police the+ book and paid nothing to get again only 90 days...

When i remarked that some people are receiving 180 days stamps from a VEC entry or possible 180
day  VEC renewal I was bluntly told not true it was a false story the VEC is stamped on the VEC good for 90 days and may be extended filing forms every ninety days....

The Hanoi forms attached are the Vietnam Ministry Security office forms presented from their
office responsible for all Immigration forms... The web show all the stamps and passports and resident forms issued 2016... 

For now I plan to travel outside Vietnam so again try to apply for a TRC at the end of 2016 when
once again from the Saigon airport  VEC stamp I goto the Saigon central Immigration and try to
get the 3 year TRC.

It is a severe head ache costing time and mobey getting a VEC 90 days stamp extension away from Saigon..  The police form and stamp must be from inside the area where your
sponsor is alive and registered.  Then you goto Immigration office and wait 3 days or more to have them stamp and then return your VEC passport....

I got a 5 year residence permit after getting married to my g/f of 6 years, in 2014. I did the usual boring trip to the local police station and the immigration office every three months thereafter.

However I went abroad for a month in November last year and returned just before Christmas. On arrival at TSN airport I was mildly surprised when the immigration officer stamped my passport and wrote "6 months multiple re entry" under the stamp.