A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

Hi all, I am a U.S. citizen seeking a Vietnam visa exemption certificate.  I filled out the online form and printed it out for mailing.  I could not find any Vietnam consulate sites stating how much processing fee will be. I've heard conflicting information on fees from various sources, ranging from $20, $70, to $120. Does anyone know how much processing fee is for VEC?  Is it still officially $20? Who do I make the check payable to?

Vette Moto wrote:

Hi all, I am a U.S. citizen seeking a Vietnam visa exemption certificate.  I filled out the online form and printed it out for mailing.  I could not find any Vietnam consulate sites stating how much processing fee will be. I've heard conflicting information on fees from various sources, ranging from $20, $70, to $120. Does anyone know how much processing fee is for VEC?  Is it still officially $20? Who do I make the check payable to?

If you wish to apply for a VEC while in the US and you live in a city with any reasonably sized Vietnamese-American population, I would advise against trying to deal with the consulates by mail.  I would seek out a Vietnamese owned travel agency and have them do it.  The added fee will be nominal, and perhaps free if you buy your ticket too.  These people deal with the consulate all the time and are on a first name basis. 

Maybe if you live in either San Francisco, Houston, or D.C. and can walk in then OK.  Otherwise it is tough to deal with the Embassy or consulates by phone or mail.

I just looked at your profile and saw where you live.  Maybe a trip to Houston wouldn't be out of the question.  It looks like about an 8 hour drive.

Can you share your experience on why it's tough to deal with the embassy/consulate? I was thinking about mailing my form with all supporting documents, but it sounds like a wasted effort from the sound of it. I definitely don't want to wait weeks expecting the vec only to never receive it.

My experience was not with the VEC but with marriage and work permit documents.   I got my VEC while in Vietnam.  I found the DC staff to be rather rude over the phone.  They may be better when speaking Vietnamese but I found them rather uncooperative.  They also certified but failed to translate the work permit documents that I sent in for certification so I ended up having to do it all over again in HCMC.

The VEC process may be a little more straightforward so by all means give it a try.  One other thing is that a loose VRC is a hassle so you will need to be mailing them your passport too.  With respect to your original questions, why not just call them if the website is unclear.  I notice that their web pages look like they are a lot more complete when you click on the red flag and are in tiếng Việt mode.  Some topics they don't even bother with an English page.  Maybe all the information you seek is there but is in Vietnamese.  Why not call them on the fees.  Houston is (713) 850-1233.

this is newspaper announced  story released the month entering VN airport.

it is not yet recognized by all offices and it is stated in the newspaper as a "likely"
it may explain November VEC stamp and frozen TRC application during November 2015'

Districts VN free to do what they want adopting VEC  /  TRC conversions of applications

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/29520/vie … gn-spouses

As of today my VEC is stamped again 90 days and no TRC application conversion from VEC is
accepted at HCM, best of luck will try again end of 2016

*smirk* it's funny you mentioned why not just call them. I actually called 3 different consulates in the US, including the Houston consulate, and it appears NO ONE likes to answer phone calls OR emails.  I tried all different extensions for all 3 consulates only to be forwarded to a voicemail.   Tried this  over a span of several days. I just figure they were super busy, but when you made the statement  that they are tough and complicated, it kind of made me think, perhaps these people just don't care or understand customer service.

It would seem that the hostile phone response is common, at least for English speakers.  Do you have a Vietnamese spouse?  Has he/she called instead of you or is she in Vietnam?  Sorry to be inquisitive but sometimes advice depends on details.

Most consulates hire bi-lingual local people for front office customer contact.  Witness all the Vietnamese working in the US consulate in HCMC.  The Vietnamese delegations in the US are in an unusual position in that the Vietnamese-Americans that they could hire tend to have, putting it mildly,  strong positions against the current government.  Hence they probably bring the entire staff from Vietnam.

Good luck but it looks like you are facing that 8 hour drive.

Responding to a phone call is not 'popular' in Vietnam government offices, even though the caller is local Vietnamese. Sometimes, you wouldn't get full information what you needed, when you ask some information desk too! That is how they serve people!

Hey! just got back and got 6 month stamp from airport while my vec say max 90 days..?

Yeah, that VEC sticker is old one. Still they giving that old stickers after the new rule. So no problem with that.
Enjoy with your new 6 months extensions  :)

well just an update, it's been a week and half since the consulate in Houston have received my application. I have not heard back from them and cannot get a hold of them.  The pre-paid envelope tracking # shows no activity.  Great--my app is probably sitting in a stack on someone's desk.  They must also be busy with all the VISA apps coming in for people going to VN for TET.  I leave Feb.29, so I still have some time, but starting to get a bit nervous.  I may have to drive down to Houston to get my passport back. Such a hassle!!!

Vette Moto wrote:

well just an update, it's been a week and half since the consulate in Houston have received my application. I have not heard back from them and cannot get a hold of them.  The pre-paid envelope tracking # shows no activity.  Great--my app is probably sitting in a stack on someone's desk.  They must also be busy with all the VISA apps coming in for people going to VN for TET.  I leave Feb.29, so I still have some time, but starting to get a bit nervous.  I may have to drive down to Houston to get my passport back. Such a hassle!!!

I think you'll be fine.  I got my 5 years exemption sticker (on the passport) in about 4 weeks from the day that they received the application.

BTW, the consulate will be out on Tet holiday from Feb 8th to 10th.

I am not aware, that someone has it for 5 years. However, 5 years temp residence seems to exist. Commonly handed out, 1-2-3 years residence cards, where in NT was the rule of thumb: you have a registered business, Vietnamese employees, paid taxes ... 3 years, anyone else 1-2 years, subject to status and employment contract ...

Visa exception: 90 days yes, you have to report and stamp for a small fee at the police station after each period

VEC = 5 years
TRC = 3 years
VEC renewal(new) = each 180 days

I dealt with the consulate in Houston and it was a cinch. I called to make sure how much it was and asked who to make the check out to. Of course when I called they were very short but I knew that it would happen as that's the Vietnamese way. I made sure they knew I wasn't done with the phone call. It took about 3-4 weeks for them to send me back my passport with the VEC in it.

Mine was a renewel of the VEC this time ,which was much easier. I did not have to send in any of the documents proving marriage/heritage anything since I did that the first time with the same consulate.

avn128, how much did you make the check out to? I am a bit surprised you reached someone via phone.  I could never get a hold of anyone.

Update 2/19:  Here is a recap on getting my VEC.  The consulate in Houston received my app on January 21st.   I proceeded to contact the consulate via phone call a week later to check on the status, basically every day of that week, but staying true to “vietnam tradition” ;), no one at the consulate ever answered my phone calls. On February 2nd, I sent an email to their gmail listed on their site to see if I will have better luck reaching ANYONE.  A few hours later that day, I received a phone call from the consulate (no way, they really called me!?!!!) and they stated that they have my application, but the $20 check I included was not sufficient to process the visa.  The spokeswoman said fees are $60 total. Without arguing, I gave her my credit card info to pay the balance.  She assured me that the application will be processed and I will receive by the end of the week.  It would have been nice if the consulate contacted me right away for insufficient fees.  If I was not persistent in contacting them via email, then perhaps my application would be on hold indefinitely.  On February 3rd, I entered the return tracking # to USPS site, and indeed, there is tracking info displayed and the VEC is officially on the way back to me.  I received everything back on February 5th!  Interestingly, despite requesting a VEC booklet in the application, they opted to give me a VEC stickered into my passport.  Some advice for those applying for VEC living in the USA: 1) don't bother calling to check status as they never answer calls, instead write an email and put in the subject “URGENT-canh cap” or something similar so that they won't overlook the email.  2) Fees are apparently $60 at the Houston consulate. 3) I am a US citizen and did not need to provide evidence of marriage to a Vietnamese citizen. However you do need to provide a Vietnam address and phone # in the application.  4) What I sent to the consulate were: my original US passport, the VEC application, 2 4x6cm photos, a copy of my driver's license, $20 personal check (should be $60), and a pre-paid USPS small flat rate envelope.  That's it. Best of luck to anyone looking to do the same!

Easy easy VEC in San Francisco for me!

First, my failed attempt in Saigon. You may skip this part...

Background: I got a new passport from US consulate in January because the old one was going to expire. I had a 3 month visa extension from a visa helper in the old now-invalidated passport. I married a Vietnamese in January. Tried to get a VEC in Saigon. Neither Saigon immigration on Nguyen Thi Minh Kai or Vietnam Immigration on Nguyen Trai could move the stamp to new passport. I was going to have to leave the country and come back in with a TT visa, or go to embassy in Phnom Penh. No guarantees it would work. grrr
My visa transfer story is here
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 72#3116155

Easy easy VEC
I am currently in California for 3 weeks for visiting, shopping, moving more stuff to Vietnam. And get a VEC.

San Francisco Consulate instructions, same as for Washington DC Embassy. Use chrome browser for translation, I think only the home page is in English if you click the translation flag.
http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/en/c … exemption/

1. Filled out the easy online form which IS in English. It is for all classes of VEC, not just married to a Vietnamese.
2. Printed the online form also.
3. Friday Feb 19 went to the San Francisco consulate. They only needed:

- the form printout
- one 4cm x 6cm photo
- copy of marriage certificate. Didn't need to see original.
- my passport
- $50 cash, check or credit card

Wait 10 minutes, presto, I walk out with sticker in my passport. Sorry Houston!

Process differ depends various immigration offices and officials, even though the law same!  :)

I got a 5 year VEC just after getting married to my Vietnamese wife in 2014. At that time I had to do the rounds of the immigration office and the police station every 90 days to get an new stamp in my passport, which also meant leaving my passport at immigration for up to a week. It also meant having the possibility of being buggered about by the police "come back next week" etc.

In December last year I went to Hong Kong for a few days and on return was given a new 6 month stamp at the airport (Valid until May 2016). My wife took my passport to the police station along with the paperwork and got the usual form stamped.

This month I went to HK again and on return had my passport stamped for another 6 months (valid till August). So my wife duly trotted along to the police station again ....

And was told forget the stamp valid until August.

Hey group, I am currently in Vietnam on a DN Visa with a work permit and the visa expires the end of this month. I got married almost two months ago and want to apply for the VEC. The person I usually use in HCMC quoted me $450 for the VEC and something called a KT3 for me and the wife. My first question is what is a KT3? I've never heard of this before. Question two is the cost, I've never had to pay that much for a visa and from all that I've read the VEC shouldn't cost that much, does anyone know the current going rate for the VEC? Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Please read post # 283 and the TRC thread. So you can choose which is suitable and convenient. No idea about KT3. FYI, VEC is free of cost inside Vietnam, IME.

Good_Man wrote:

Hey group, I am currently in Vietnam on a DN Visa with a work permit and the visa expires the end of this month. I got married almost two months ago and want to apply for the VEC. The person I usually use in HCMC quoted me $450 for the VEC and something called a KT3 for me and the wife. My first question is what is a KT3? I've never heard of this before. Question two is the cost, I've never had to pay that much for a visa and from all that I've read the VEC shouldn't cost that much, does anyone know the current going rate for the VEC? Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Thanks charm, I've been reviewing the requirements before and after I wrote the post and I think the process has to go something like this. I have to convert my DN to a TT visa (requiring a trip out of the country). The KT3 is the marriage registration book for HCMC (we got married and live in Binh Dinh Province and thus must register in Sai Gon). Once I have the TT Visa I can apply for the VEC, but I'm still confused about the need for a TRC to accompany the VEC. Any ideas? Thanks again

If you are applying for a VEC, you don't need any other visa but should out of country  after they affix the VEC on your passport and re enter to get the VEC stamped for the first time from the border because of your current TRC. If you are applying for the spouse TRC, you should move from Vietnam and apply from outside which take nearly 1 month. What I did was, get the VEC first then moved and re-enter from Moc Bai border post to get the 6 months stamp. After 1 week I applied and got the TRC which cost $155 for 3 years. If you just need the VEC (should renew each 6 months), take the first step I showed here. And it is absolutely free of cost here. There is no stamping fee at the border too! Just send your wife with necessary documents to the immigration which is easy for you.

Good_Man wrote:

Thanks charm, I've been reviewing the requirements before and after I wrote the post and I think the process has to go something like this. I have to convert my DN to a TT visa (requiring a trip out of the country). The KT3 is the marriage registration book for HCMC (we got married and live in Binh Dinh Province and thus must register in Sai Gon). Once I have the TT Visa I can apply for the VEC, but I'm still confused about the need for a TRC to accompany the VEC. Any ideas? Thanks again

KT3: Temporary Resident Book for Vietnamese citizen who is living in another province compare with his/ her permanent registered address. This is not a compulsory paper for Vietnamese living in another province. I myself have been living in HCMC for 7-8 years but just had a KT3 book last year.

I believe that you do not need a TT Visa to apply for a VEC, cause VEC is an "exemption from visa". Only if your want to apply for a TRC as Vietnamese spouse then you have to have a TT visa before. Noted that you have to renew your VEC every 6 months (within its 5 years validation).

You do not need to accompany TRC with VEC. You can choose to either apply for a TRC (as employee or as Vietnamese spouse) or a VEC (as Vietnamese spouse). TRC is a replacement for multiple visa.

P/s: With your DN Visa and work permit, you can apply for a TRC as employee with the same validation with the work permit.

Hope that this reply will not make you even more confuse :v

I'm not entirely sure, but it was about $60 ish. I called them probably 3 or 4 times since they kept on hangning up after every question

Good_man...As I recall we paid $20 for my VEC in HCMC. Once I had it I paid $10 each quarter to renew it. I left VN for a bit and now under the new 6 month renewal regiment, so I have not yet renewed. I think your getting hosed if someone wants to charge you $450. But things here change, maybe it is that much. I was very very easy for us to go and get the original VEC. Good luck.

Hi guys,

I am currently in Cambodia and intend to apply for a VEC from the Vietnanese Embasy in Phnom Penh. I am finding it difficult to locate an application form for the VEC that I can download and print.

When I was in HCMC trying to transfer my work related TRC to a spousal TRC I was told to apply for a TT Visa or a VEC first but they then told me that they did not have an application form for either a VEC or a TT visa.

I am tryng to get an application form and hopefully it will list the documents that are needed. I have tried the links in the threads on expat.com but keep getting messages that they are not supported on the system.

Can someone either send me an application form or a link that works?

Thanks for your help

Why would you transfer you TRC to a VEC?, it works out almost the same price with less hassles, and you can't work on a VEC.
I have a friend who is trying to transfer his VEC to a TRC, ( he doesn't work ), but he is under the understanding that he now has to wait until his VEC has expired first. ( about 2020, by which time VEC's will probably be long gone ).

bluenz wrote:

Why would you transfer you TRC to a VEC?, it works out almost the same price with less hassles, and you can't work on a VEC.

I agree with the sentiment that the TRC is a little more money and a lot less hassle. 

I wonder what your source of information is for the last part of your statement that "you can't work on a VEC".   I would agree if you said you can't work without a Work permit but I wonder about not being able to work with the combination of a VEC and a WP.   One is a document that allows you to reside and one allows you to work.  Can you cite a regulation or authoritative web page as perhaps a law firm or a consular document?

I know from my own experience, as soon I got my  WP, I had to change to a TRC,  and it was a real hassle for me, 2 x 240 km returns trips to DN, just another one of their stupid rules, WHY can we not work on a VEC????  I couldn't find anything in writing about it, I think they're not used to someone with a VEC getting a WP, so they throw it in the same basket as people without VEC who get WP's??? Also a teacher at another center here arrived with his VEC, got his WP, and a worker from the center took his paperwork to DN and they did the TRC for him, ( 3 mil for only the 12 months of his contract ).

Bluenz asked why would I transfer a TRC to a VEC.
The point is that my present TRC is work related and the company have transferred me to Cambodia - so no work related TRC.

I tried to transfer to a spousal TRC - no can do!

I have been told to get a new spousal TRC i need to have either a TT visa or a VEC.

All I am asking is how do i get an application form for either a VEC or a TT visa.

jpbsimpson wrote:

All I am asking is how do i get an application form for either a VEC or a TT visa.

Check this link from a VN Govt website. Ask your wife for assistance as the site is mostly in Vietnamese.

VEC Application

Quote from the footnote:
"" Ghi chú/ Notes:
(1) Submit in person one completed application form enclosed with passport or International Travel Document at the Vietnamese Diplomatic Mission or at the Immigration Department
(2) Enclose 02 recently taken photos in 4x6cm size, with white background, front view, bare head without sunglasses (one photo on the form and the other separate)
(3) Enclose one certified copy of one of the following documents: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, expired Vietnamese Passport, ID Card, Family Registration Booklet or other documents as stipulated by the Vietnamese Law
""

I think, the best option for you is to ask your wife (assuming she is in HCM), to go to the VEC office at 254 Nguyen Trai immigration office, Q.1 and get some information about overseas VEC application.

Thanks for your suggestion but it was my wife who asked for the application form in HCMC and got refused. She is now here with me in Cambodia and is NOT looking forward to getting the run around in the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh

jpbsimpson wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion but it was my wife who asked for the application form in HCMC and got refused.

Got refused!!!
Sounds bit strange because only last month I got mine.
My wife went there, collected a bunch of forms and the information .... she filled those up in the next few days... then we went back together to submit our application.... 8-9 days later she picked up my PP with a 5 year VEC stamped on it.
It was that simple..... and NOT a single penny spent, not even asked for, at any stage.
I understand, some of these Govt. staff are overtly rude and non-cooperative.

jpbsimpson wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion but it was my wife who asked for the application form in HCMC and got refused. She is now here with me in Cambodia and is NOT looking forward to getting the run around in the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh

I heard that visa apllication form is available at Vietnamese embassy in oversea. Did you try checking it there, the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh?

Technically your wife must submit a sponsor letter to the Immigration department in 254 Nguyen Trai first, form NA3. I will give the link below. The dossier is also including her ID card, her family book, your marriage certificate.
After 5 working days the immigration dept will issue an immigration approval for your wife, and in the same time fax it to Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh.

At this point you are able to apply for a TT visa in the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh. Fill in form NA1, submit your passport, picture, a copy of your immigration approval.

This is the link of Circular 04/2015/TT-BCA that contains the above forms (NA1, NA3). if you could not access it, inbox me your email.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4WBH_ … sp=sharing

Vankhanh  Ho,

Many thanks for the information and the links to the forms.
I have printed them out and will inform my wife regarding the procedure.

You mention that after approval I can request a TT Visa.
Just a curious question it it better to get a TT Visa or a VEC if my intended aim is to apply for a spousal work Permit?

Re-typed to correct typos!

I can only speak for myself but our conditions down here in the Delta are much better than in the big citys. Do the paperwork right and on time and you shouldn't have very many problems.
See more:
dienmaytanbinh.vn/san-pham/tu-dong-24.html]http://dienmaytanbinh.vn/san-pham/tu-dong-24.html[/url]
dienmaytanbinh.vn/san-pham/tu-mat-30.html]http://dienmaytanbinh.vn/san-pham/tu-mat-30.html[/url]

jpbsimpson wrote:

Vankhanh  Ho,

Many thanks for the information and the links to the forms.
I have printed them out and will inform my wife regarding the procedure.

You mention that after approval I can request a TT Visa.
Just a curious question it it better to get a TT Visa or a VEC if my intended aim is to apply for a spousal work Permit?

Re-typed to correct typos!

You meant your final aim is to apply for a spousal TRC? :)

At law it is TT Visa only that can apply for a spousal TRC. But I believe that the immigration authority made a flexible practice to accept VEC too. Other expats here may know it better than me.

Don't be so modest Ms Van.  I trust your word more than anyone else here.