A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

expatec wrote:

Hello all,

Long time member but haven't logged in a while and had to start a new account to post this.

This is a sticky thread.  You've created another thread to ask this same question and I've responded to it.  Let's go back to that thread and stay there waiting for other members to chime in with their experiences and knowledge.

Question.

My 5 year VEC(based on being born here but now a US citizen) is up soon. I know a while back, you could renew this in HCMC. Is this still possible?

Also, I do not have any family here in HCMC any longer. I remember there is a section for a person that sponsors you when renewing this VEC a few years ago and had my local cousin at that time. Does that have to be family member in HCMC or could it be a Vietnamese citizen close friend?

Thanks.

I once had a VEC like yours. As I recall the sponsor had to be family in some way. The way you state it sounds like you might be just wanting to renew it. But if the 5 years have expired you can not renew it, but must get a new VEC. But these things change so fast, so don't take my word for it.

expatec:  Where did you obtain your first VEC and what documents did you have to provide?  The SF Consulate website lists several documents that can prove prior Vietnamese citizenship.  If you don't have any of these you may instead use "A guarantee from a Vietnamese citizen (in due form provided)"  No mention of the person being a relative although it may be in the form.  It sounds like it may be easier to get a VEC in SF, or one of the other consulates in the US, than it is in HCMC.   They also have a provision to apply online and get a detached certificate by FEDEX.   Assuming you have relatives in the US, and enough time remaining,  you might go that route and have them send you the VEC after it is sent to them.  If you have not run our yet renewal is even easier.  If you really don't succeed in HCMC, you may have to look into a plane trip and maybe a few weeks of your time.   Of course right now getting back to Vietnam would be a major problem.  Their renewal is even simpler.  Just send the passport with the expiring VEC and a simple form.  If you are feeling safe to be without your passport for a while you might look into this.  Again this assumes help from US relatives as I think they will only ship to a US address.

SF Consulate VEC

THIGV wrote:

Their renewal is even simpler.  Just send the passport with the expiring VEC and a simple form.

Please correct me If you have more accurate or update information, but AFAIK, an expiring VEC (reaching the 5 year validation) cannot be renewed.  An application for a new VEC must be submitted thus there's no reason to attach the expiring VEC.

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Their renewal is even simpler.  Just send the passport with the expiring VEC and a simple form.

Please correct me If you have more accurate or update information, but AFAIK, an expiring VEC (reaching the 5 year validation) cannot be renewed.  An application for a new VEC must be submitted thus there's no reason to attach the expiring VEC.

Yes, the whole process has to be done all over again.

expatec wrote:

Question.

Also, I do not have any family here in HCMC any longer. I remember there is a section for a person that sponsors you when renewing this VEC a few years ago and had my local cousin at that time. Does that have to be family member in HCMC or could it be a Vietnamese citizen close friend?

Thanks.

There's no need for a sponsor when applying for a new VEC if there's a proof of your birthright citizenship as a Vietnamese.  If you no longer have your birth certificate, your naturalization certificate is sufficient (your birthplace is shown on the certificate). 

You only need a sponsor for in-country extension.

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

That is exactly how I renewed mine.  In fact my old VEC was already expired when I made the renewal.  Of course you can't let yours expire if you are in Vietnam but it still shows the flexibility that SF has.   The advantage of renewal is that no documentation other than the old VEC is required.  I guess they seem to be assuming that the documents were properly delivered the first time.  Here is link to the relevant page on the consular site:  See Item #3  I am not sure if there is a limit as to how many times it can be renewed but if it's on the page, I missed it.   It seems like the VEC is a lot easier to obtain and renew if you are in the US than if you are in Vietnam.  Sadly that is of little help for expatec right now, as if he traveled to the US he would be barred reentry to Vietnam but that won't always be the case.

THIGV wrote:

Here is link to the relevant page on the consular site:  See Item #3

Thank you.  It's good to know that re-issuance is available, but too bad it's not available in country for expats who are already here.

Ciambella wrote:

...too bad it's not available in country for expats who are already here.

No that would make too much sense.  I am suspicious that the consular officials in San Francisco have been living in the US too long and have forgotten that a Vietnamese bureaucrat's true purpose is to make things as difficult as possible.  :D

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, around 4 years ago, I had to get a new one while in VN because my previous was about to expire. I vaguely remember needing to get photocopies of one of my cousins ID card back then but don't really remember if it was needed with application.

I know on the original VEC form, it did ask for a family members basic info here in Vietnam. I believed I used basic info of a long lost niece of mine. Not sure if they even check I was actually related to her, not sure how they would.

I guess, I will have to see what my best option is.

expatec wrote:

I know on the original VEC form, it did ask for a family members basic info here in Vietnam. I believed I used basic info of a long lost niece of mine. Not sure if they even check I was actually related to her, not sure how they would.

Not on the form we filled out 3.5 years ago.  No question about family members in Vietnam.  No question about sponsor.  I didn't know about such requirement until last month when we requested our first ever extension (before that, we travelled too often to need an extension).

expatec wrote:

Not sure if they even check I was actually related to her, not sure how they would.

Actually between the ID system and the hộ khẩu book system, the government has all the raw data they could need.  The problem, or maybe more importantly the good fortune, is that the record systems seem to be entirely manual.  If they ever computerized these functions, they would really know a lot about people.

Ciambella wrote:
expatec wrote:

Not on the form we filled out 3.5 years ago.  No question about family members in Vietnam.  No question about sponsor.  I didn't know about such requirement until last month when we requested our first ever extension (before that, we travelled too often to need an extension).

Interesting, yeah, we discussed this in the other thread where they ask for it on the NA5 form for my extension(which I only got 3 months this time around and know one seems to be able to confirm why) but that ended up usually being the landlord filling that area in and saying she was my aunt, even though she isn't.

I have no idea, rules and laws seem to change all the time here.

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Do you think you can reapply without original documents based on showing an old VEC certificate? Reason being, the Consulate in London took the only two copies of my Birth Certificate I have. I embarrasingly had to get another VEC not long after being issued one. Had my laptop and passport stolen in Milan.

phikachu wrote:

Do you think you can reapply without original documents based on showing an old VEC certificate? Reason being, the Consulate in London took the only two copies of my Birth Certificate I have. I embarrasingly had to get another VEC not long after being issued one. Had my laptop and passport stolen in Milan.

I am a little confused by your statement.   Your passport was stolen.  Was the VEC in an older passport which you still have?  I can't really say anything about the Embassy (?) in London as my only experience is with San Francisco and they seem reasonable.  If London was where you got the VEC in the first place, or even the stolen replacement, they still might have the paperwork.  I don't know where you live in Britain but nothing is more than a day away or even a few hours away by air.

This is also an object lesson in documents.  I don't know about Britain but the US government specifically says to send copies if they are not going to be sending them back.  Vietnam only takes originals and keeps them.  When (if ever  :sosad: ) you get back to Vietnam, you should get as many copies as you think you will need and then double than number.

So my parents got me my birth certificate from my home town. No doubt they slipped a few back handers.

It was a black and white document with a red stamp. I took a photocopy of it which makes it all black and white thinking the consulate would take that. They took the red stamped one and never gave it back. Brief argument with the receptionist about whether I was allowed a VEC or not before finally speaking to her manager where upon explaining my background they issued me the VEC pretty much next day. It was free but I paid like £10 to pick it up next day.

About 3 months later, I had my laptop bag stolen which had both my GF's and my passport so I went back there with the black and white copy and had another argument with the same receptionist who kept saying they only accepted original documents and that they never keep original documents. So I whipped out my phone to prove with a photo I took of the original one with a red stamp geotagged to outside their kengsinton embassy thus proving I walked in with an original and they kept it.

Anyway, I speak to the same manager who is actually a nice lady and remembered me. She offered to sort me out with a Virtnamese passport to which I suggested I mgiht consider it in future and for now I got some BS document to say I was a...”viet kieu” to show those lawyers at Vinhomes that I should get more than a 50 year lease because technically I'm not a johnny foreigner. Their lawyers say that Viet Kieu are Vietnamese passport holders and I'm pointing out the obvious to them but it doesn't sink in, why do Vietnamese Citizens and passport holders need a decree to buy property in Vietnam? Sure enough I turned up with this document in Vietnam and yes I can in theory get more than a 50 year lease but nothing is ever black and white in Vietnam.

So I walked out the second time with another VEC on a new passport and no birth certificate, not even a copy. The missunderstanding with the receptionist was explained to me by the manager that the documents I was showing them weren't original birth certificates but marked as something else, copy and that they only accept originals.

So yeah, when this VEC expires in 3 years, I'm wondering if they can renew it just from showing my expired one because I don't think I can get more copies issued.

phikachu wrote:

So yeah, when this VEC expires in 3 years, I'm wondering if they can renew it just from showing my expired one because I don't think I can get more copies issued.

Even though you don't need it right now it would make sense to get another birth certificate as soon as it can be reasonably obtained.  Not a rush  but you will undoubtedly need it in the future and it will never be as inexpensive to get when you have a lot of time as opposed to a rush order which always costs a lot more.  Also when in Vietnam you can take your new original birth certificate and get certified copies made at certain government offices.  You take them copies and the original, an official reviews them and they get chopped either one or two times (I don't remember) and those are accepted as originals.  We have never given my wife's original to anyone.  They have always accepted the certified copies.

SteinNebraska wrote:

it would make sense to get another birth certificate as soon as it can be reasonably obtained.  Not a rush  but you will undoubtedly need it in the future and it will never be as inexpensive to get when you have a lot of time as opposed to a rush order which always costs a lot more.  Also when in Vietnam you can take your new original birth certificate and get certified copies made at certain government offices.  You take them copies and the original, an official reviews them and they get chopped either one or two times (I don't remember) and those are accepted as originals.  We have never given my wife's original to anyone.  They have always accepted the certified copies.

Excellent idea, both of getting a birth certificate just in case, and getting acceptable certified copies.  :one

I haven't seen my birth certificate for 50 years now.  Last time I was in possession of it was when I took the exam to enter university (before I was of age to register for a National ID).  Haven't needed one for all the trials and tribulations of life.  Without anyone in the North to carry out the task and have no desire to travel during this time, it's gonna be a bit difficult though.

Ciambella wrote:

I haven't seen my birth certificate for 50 years now.  Last time I was in possession of it was to take the exam to enter university (before I was of age to register for a National ID).  Haven't needed one for all the trials and tribulations of life.  Without anyone in the North to carry out the task and have no desire to travel during this time, it's gonna be a bit difficult though.

It's possible he won't need it either.  It seems like the most common reasons are immigration visas and marriage certificates, neither of which he will need anytime soon since he has both of those covered but perhaps the next VEC they will need it again. Still worth getting at his convenience.

I had to have my original shipped here from the US for my wife and daughter's visa applications for the upcoming consulate interview.  I'm not sure why since I am the petitioner and they already know I'm a US citizen but rules are rules, regardless of how silly they seem.

Thank you all for trying to answer my questions. It's not going to be easy to get another since I spend most of my time in Vietnam up North now and I read somewhere it can only be issued in the local area where you were born which is near Phan Tiet. My "fiance" is from Bac Ninh, so if it's a requirement to get married then I will need one very soon. Is there a way around this?

Also, I think what I got was a certified copy of which I photocopied but they ultimately took both. I only have a photo of it now and I'm not even sure what or if it says certified copy as I can't read or write Vietnamese. If someone can be so kind as to take a look for me it would be much appreciated.

My Brother and Sisters have theirs in the UK, but I was the only one without one. Growing up they used to tease me I was picked up on the way in India and adopted (we transitted through Delhi to start our new lives). Might have been some truth in it.

THIGV wrote:
phikachu wrote:

I am a little confused by your statement.   Your passport was stolen.  Was the VEC in an older passport which you still have?  I can't really say anything about the Embassy (?) in London as my only experience is with San Francisco and they seem reasonable.  If London was where you got the VEC in the first place, or even the stolen replacement, they still might have the paperwork.  I don't know where you live in Britain but nothing is more than a day away or even a few hours away by air.

This is also an object lesson in documents.  I don't know about Britain but the US government specifically says to send copies if they are not going to be sending them back.  Vietnam only takes originals and keeps them.  When (if ever  :sosad: ) you get back to Vietnam, you should get as many copies as you think you will need and then double than number.

I have never seen and don't think I have ever had an original but my brother and sisters all do. I went to live in the uk 1 day before my 1st birthday. My parents went somewhere in my hometown and got a document issued for me, I don't know whether you call it a certified copy or is it classed as an original. It's all in Vietnamese so I wouldn't know. If you don't mind, I would much appreciate it if you could help me look at mine. I will send it via PM.

Now someone has mentioned I need one to get married, I'm a bit concerned because... I'm going to get married the moment borders are open.

What an interesting story. Perhaps your lucky it is VN, as most things can be done someway. If you would like Incan ask my attorney and see if he can help. I imagine it is going to take some behind the scenes help. Just PM me if you would like me to ask him. I would like to help if I can.

I have just received my 6 month VEC stamp in Rach Gia (Kien Giang province) I went there as I live in Ha Tien,which is in that province.It's the first time I have ever had to do this 6 month stamp,as,even though I have had a VEC for more than 10years,in the past i have just gone to Cambodia for a day or two,and got a 6 month stamp on my return(It was easier to do it this way as we live 7km from the border,and I combined it with a shopping trip)I renewed my VEC in Sihanoukville in March-interestingly they would only give me one for 18 months,in the past it has been 5 years.We went to Rach Gia on Monday,submitted the paperwork,and were told to go back on the 3rd,and collected the passport with the new 6 month stamp-dated for 6 months from the application date,not the expiry of the old stamp-so I lost a few days there.Cost 240,000VND no problems with the paperwork

oasisbarhatien wrote:

interestingly they would only give me one for 18 months,in the past it has been 5 years.

That's a strange amount of time.  How much time left on your passport?  Mine had 5 years and a couple of months so they shortened it a few months to expire 6 moths before my passport did.

phikachu wrote:

Now someone has mentioned I need one to get married, I'm a bit concerned because... I'm going to get married the moment borders are open.

As a UK citizen (albeit one who was born in Vietnam), you wouldn't need a Vietnamese birth certificate to get married.  After our PM exchange, I've done quite bit of research and nowhere did I see the requirement of Vietnamese birth certificate for a foreigner (yes, you're a foreigner in the eye of the law) to marry a Vietnamese national.

Re post 545-No it isn't that-my passport expires in 2029-I did ask the guy in the consulate why I couldn't have the usual 5 years-which they had given me before at that consulate,and he said that that was the maximum time the Vietnamese government was allowing for VEC's at that point in time-bear in mind that this was just as the Covid pandemic was starting to be accepted as a serious issue.AFAIK they are not even issuing VEC's at present,so I guess I was pretty lucky to get that.What will happen in September 2021 when it expires is another question!!

oasisbarhatien wrote:

I did ask the guy in the consulate why I couldn't have the usual 5 years-which they had given me before at that consulate,and he said that that was the maximum time the Vietnamese government was allowing for VEC's at that point in time-bear in mind that this was just as the Covid pandemic was starting to be accepted as a serious issue.

According to Ba Ria Immigration, when your VEC expires or when a certain number of in-country extensions is reached (only during this pandemic), you'll need a stop-gap visa of sort.  However, they told me it'll be for 12 months, not 18, and it's not a VEC.

oasisbarhatien wrote:

Re post 545

Please use the Quote function when you reply instead of "Re post XXX".  It's easier for people to follow the conversation when the posts are connected.

From personal experience the whole immigration process at 333 Nguyen Trai is a mess. Pot luck depends on who you speak to behind the counter and indeed which counter you go to

I got my VEC in March and due to covid couldn't get an exit stamp because the borders are closed. I have since swapped to a TRC, still no concrete evidence from immigration if I need an exit stamp of not, I asked 5 different members of staff three said no and two said yes..

I think a large part comes down to agents paying staff incentives to keep people going back for extensions, and also greedy agents charging 30 times as much as the extension or stamp costs.

I paid 145USD for my TRC process and yet have seen dodgy agents charging 1000USD to arrange for other people in the same situation as I was.

In part the blame lays with the visa holder for not being better prepared, but when so much conflicting information is posted online it's easy to see how these greedy agents get away with it.

On my last trip to immigration I counter half a dozen agents handing over around 40-50 TRC applications... Goes to show, western style greed has made a huge impression here .

" I have since swapped to a TRC, still no concrete evidence from immigration if I need an exit stamp of not, I asked 5 different members of staff three said no and two said yes.."

You dont need to exit to activate a TRC, a VEC you have to.

colinoscapee wrote:

" I have since swapped to a TRC, still no concrete evidence from immigration if I need an exit stamp of not, I asked 5 different members of staff three said no and two said yes.."

Handy to know.... Maybe you could educate those at immigration 😜

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Handy to know.... Maybe you could educate those at immigration 😜

Mate, its like most things here, they have the job due to family or paying someone. Knowing the rules is an optional extra.

Ahhh yes.. what are your qualifications to become a brain surgeon.. my father knows the receptionist.

In my view the knowing or paying someone for a job decreases the company's reputation... Most of the time not an issue but when you want accurate information it helps.

A quick update:

I just received my passport back with a six month VEC extension stamp in it.  This is my third so far.  The process is the same as usual but with the addition of a note of explanation from the sponsor as to why the extension is required.  Same $10 fee.

Hi all. I was recently told that 5-year VECs are no longer being issued. Is this true? I was hoping to get one after marriage (I prefer it to TRC)

Are you in Vietnam now? If yes, you can do VEC or spouse TRC normally after getting married to a Vietnamese citizen.

Petemccarthy123 wrote:

Hi all. I was recently told that 5-year VECs are no longer being issued. Is this true? I was hoping to get one after marriage (I prefer it to TRC)

Because you have to leave Vietnam to activate it, now you cant leave and return. A TRC is way less hassle. I have had both of these and a TRC is the way to go.

Johnathan25121 wrote:

Are you in Vietnam now? If yes, you can do VEC or spouse TRC normally after getting married to a Vietnamese citizen.

Normally you can, but Covid  has changed all that.VEC is activated by leaving Vietnam, you leave, you may not get back in.

Ciambella wrote:
phikachu wrote:

As a UK citizen (albeit one who was born in Vietnam), you wouldn't need a Vietnamese birth certificate to get married.  After our PM exchange, I've done quite bit of research and nowhere did I see the requirement of Vietnamese birth certificate for a foreigner (yes, you're a foreigner in the eye of the law) to marry a Vietnamese national.

Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Gosh, a lot does and has happened since I was enquiring about renewing VEC's and birth certificates to get married. My partner came over to the UK on a 2 year multi entry valid for 6 months at a time and she arrived in September and just before all these extended lockdowns. She has been here ever since and with Vietnam still closed, she… we won't be going back for a long time. She doesn't have a fiance visa to get married in the UK and to complicate things even further is that we had our passports stolen… again! We were celebrating Tet in London chinatown and someone stole my backpack whilst we were dining out. She lost her 2 year uk visa and a 10 year Canadian visa that we were going to use to do her visa run with. I lost my precious VEC that I don't have another copy of my birth certificate to get again and a 5 year Chinese visa. They actually took a lot of other valuable stuff but our passports, visas inside them and stamps collected over the years were priceless. I texted the thief on the phone/laptop (lock my iPhone/MacBook with a message) and offered them £250 for the passports no questions asked and to keep the rest of the stuff.

Anyway, yeah I need to sort out a new VEC but who knows when the Vietnamese embassy in London will be issuing them again for citizens in the UK now that it has become a petri dish and breeding ground for emerging and potentially vaccine resisting covid variants. We'll find out at the next peak.