New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cambodia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cambodia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi guys,

Been to Cambodia twice in 2012. in PP and SP only. Considering moving to Snooky mid next year, I've read on other forums that jobs availability is very limited for expats in Snooky. What about in hotel industry? I'm fluent in 2 languages and can have basic conversations in 2 more.

Any help with suggestions what hotels I should approach when I'm over there would be greatly appreciated.

Hey
the Visa is not a problem since you can ask for a business visa ( e- visa) for one month at the border and than extend it with the help of any travel agency.
about jobs as a chef you probably can find, but not sure what the pay will be. i don't know how old are you and if it's suits you to work a traveler job cause these you can find easily in Sihanoukville.
good luck

Hi
Someone is asking for my help to set up a cafe in Phnom Penh & I hope to get some advice here. I'm sure there're lots already though not saturated yet. Any tips on location, menu, theme, style, risks, etc r welcome :) ... wld also like to explore other ideas & not confine to d cafe idea too :) advance appreciation :)

Nice to know all u guys here. I am Shpinx and living in Cambodia 3 years. I would like to share and know friends from here...

Hi ,
Moving to Phnom Penh in march .
Nice to know you all :)

Hey all! I'm from the USA and have been traveling around Cambodia for the past 5 weeks or so. Love this country.

Still new and can't figure out how to start my own thread, so I'll post here:

I'm currently in Siem Reap and want to rent/lease a motobike for a 3 day trip to the remote temples and Preah Vihear. I know it's illegal to rent to foreigners because they're trying to keep motobikes out of Angkor Wat.

Does anyone have or know of someone who has a private motobike I could lease for 3 days? I will be returning back through SR.

Thanks!
Kelsey

Hello everyone,

I'm moving from Phoenix, AZ USA to PP and will be arriving on March, 19.  Would love to meet up with some new, or seasoned expats to make some new friends and to get some first-hand knowledge of what's going on in PP, socially, jobs, etc.  I plan on taking a few weeks to just get familiar with my surroundings, then I'll start looking for job opportunities.  My background is in sales, in the transportation and logistics industries.  But I'm open to any and all possibilities.  Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

Hey All
Thank you for this thread,
visited PP last year ( APRIL 2013), and in FEB 2014 moved here.
I am currently taking a break, and concentrating on some studies that I am doing via distance,
it is such an exciting experience to be in PP, all the buz, the friendly people, and the amazing food.
I am learning Khmer language too, which I think is very helpful, Khmer people love it when you try to speak to them in Khmer.

Cambodia is very expat friendly! You can get a 1-month visa on arrival in Phnom Penh for $25 (get a regular visa, not a tourist visa). It will be for single entry, 30 days. Then you can easily extend it once you're in the country for 6 month or 1 year. It's not cheap, though: $270 I paid for my 6-month.

Just an additional little note on visas. There are (inconveniently) two kinds of "e" visas. The first is an e-visa (little e) that is an electronic visa, purchased and printed on the internet. It is for tourists only and cannot be renewed. It is also only usable for air landings at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, and certain land crossings. It cannot be used for a river crossing.

The second is an E visa (big E) that is a "regular" visa that can be extended and converted to a multiple-entry, extended visa.

Y'all may already know this, but if not, it's worth noting so you don't accidentally end up paying for another visa.

I've been working in Vietnam and Cambodia, as a tour manager, for 2 years. Recently promoted to operations manager for our itineraries on the Mekong, Ganges, and Irrawaddy, and now living in Phnom Penh for the last few weeks. Spent the last 10 days in Siem Reap and Yangon, though, and really looking forward to settling in, getting to know Phnom Penh, and meeting some other expats!

Ah, I'm giddy with excitement about finding this forum today. Such a great resource.. I've been living/working in Shanghai for the past 3.5 years and will be moving to Phnom Penh at the end of March for business. I had quite a large network of friends and an amazing experience meeting people and making friends in Shanghai and hope to be able to replicate that to some extent in Phnom Penh.

If there are any softball/baseball players in Phnom Penh, please send me a message (and have your glove mailed to you). We have tournaments each year in Bangkok, HCMC, Jakarta, Manila, Seoul, and Shanghai. I'd be glad to introduce you to a great network of expats through these travelling tournaments.

Hope to meet some great people to go out with (at a manageable rate ;) ) and explore a bit.

Best,
Matthew

Hi. Everyone.
I am May Park from SOUTH KOREA.
I have been here in siemreap since December 2012. It's great  to be here.^^*

Hello, I have been here a while and have just had my US Social Security stopped. I use direct deposit to a US bank. I have done some research. Still not happy.

Wil

I arrived in Cambodia 3 years ago, to work in a veterinary clinic. So I am a french veterinarian, I love my job  :) and I train boxing when I have time :D . I worked a lot so I didn't have time to share good moment to visit Cambodia.

Hi Everybody
MY names Peter, Presently living in the Philippines, want to move to Cambodia with my phil wife and 3 children. I dont know how hard this will be as all 3 children are of school age so this is my main concern. I have lived in Thailand by myself and to be honest ,that would be my first choice if I was still single  and did not have any kids, but with the visa situation as it is in Thailand, being 5 of us makes it very hard. I dont have any financial problems so I dont need to do much there but as I said the childrens education is my main concern.Anyway this is who I am and I am glad and hope to make some new friends here.

Regards
Peter

Hi. I'm May Park from Korea. I've been here in Cambodia for 2 years. And I have 11years old girl. There are so many international school in Cambodia and the school feel is from 100$to 2000$ a month. If you are an English native,  you can get a job easily. And visa fee is about 280$ a year. Good luck.^^*

Hi everyone !

I am a recent expat in Siem Reap, and so looking for people living here that I could meet :)
My name is Bettina, I'm 22 and a trainee in a travel agency; I will be living in Siem Reap for 6 months and hope there is other people here too !

See you soon !

Hi bettina!

Welcome to Cambodian and enjoy your stay !

I would like to get jobin Viet Nam, ditnt know Madam need to find the staff more?

?????????????

On HR Cambodia you can easily find a job I think, especially in the restauration sector ! Good luck !

Hey Sam let me know when you come

I love Cambodia,

Hello Petter,

Are you looking for apartment upon you in Cambodia. I want to rent my own which contained with 3 bedrooms in furnished. Rent 700$ per month.

Thanks,
Nhoem

Hey all,

My name's Curtis.  I was living in China for more than ten years but...I was a bad boy.  You see, I got caught playing poker in an underground poker room, and subsequently got deported for a year.  It was a dumb mistake and I should have seen it coming but...c'est la vie. 

My plan is to return to China next year, but in the meantime, I'm thinking about coming to Phnom Penh.  I was an English instructor in China, and hope to continue teaching in Cambodia. 

From what I've read on the internet, it's best to go to Cambodia first, then look for jobs, correct? 

I'm planning on staying in a hostel until I settle down there, but if anyone's looking for a roommate, let me know!  Except for my poker addiction, I am a pretty tame dude.  I'm drug free, although I do enjoy some beer from time to time.  I am by no means a party animal; I prefer staying home and playing video games, watching movies, or playing online poker.  I'm always down for a hike though!  I don't smoke and I'm fairly neat. 

Also, if there are any Chinese or otherwise Mandarin-speaking people, let me know!  My wechat ID is Curtis44.

Cheers!

- Curtis

Hello Curtis ,

When will you arrived Cambodia? We got a private in western apartment.Anyways please let me know your budget plan.

Thanks,
Nhoem

Hey Nhoem,

I should be there by the middle of April at the latest. 

Who's "we"?  Are you a real estate agency?

Siem Reap has some good school all around. You can live just outside of town and it will be peaceful and quiet, so to speak. All the schools charge for enrollment. I don't know how much, but I can find out. There are some international schools near by too, Peter. Phenom Phen is big city blues kind of place. Some people like it. I did not.

Thanks for your reply, my kids speak tagalog and english so I think I will need An International school

Regards
Peter

Hey Captnw4

Had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago, called Manila office to find out what the problem was and was told since I didn't submit annual out of country statement(I declared residency outside US but didn't know about the annual statement)  I never got the questionnaire in the mail so was put on suspended. The agent in manila sent me the questionnaire via email told me to file it out sign scan and send back to her, She processed it, reinstated me and in 3 days got my deposit. The Manila SS office is very efficient and helpful more than I can say for the US agents, a bunch of lazy azzez.  Beside the SS never pays on time anyway. I have had some deposits 5 days late.

Curtas

You wont make good money here teaching, I have many friends here in Phnom Penh where most of the work is and they say can't make money here, Most left and went to Vietnam, that's where the money is in teaching.

I'm from France and I just move to Cambodia   after 2 travel. I really fell in love with the country, and I'm living there since 2 month now and really feeling good. I live in Kep and i would like to start doing my textile art here. If you have any suggestion about where is the best place to buy fabrics and all art product it will be really nice to let me know. And if anyone is interested by learn how to make clothe or whatever you are really well come!
Cheers

Seeya

Hello I am new here and will be coming to Cambodia in June/July 2014

My name is Tim and my wife and I just recently moved to Cambodia from USA, MN she is a medical person teaching in that field.  I am a business guy that has built two companies in the area of Laser cutting and sheet metal fabrication and we are here to help the Khmer.   My desire is to connect with other business people to get an idea what the needs are here in Cambodia and how I can use my experience.

Used to live in Thailand from 2001 - 2005, enjoy all things Asian a lot and will move to Kampot in a few years.

Hi, My name is Christ, I'm currently living in China, finishing my degree and doing business with khmer people. I have been raised in Cambodia.

Hi Everyone,
thanks for the nice welcome.

I am Sena and from India , planned to reach  Phnom Phen on 2nd week of May with my friend,i need help to set up network / contacts with local importer / business house to export medicine & tea from India.

Hope to meet some of you soon  :)

Regards

Hi there,

I just arrived in Phnom Penh again and it's good to be back.
I've had a long vacation in Cambodia last year and when i got home i immediately started preparing to go back again.
However, this time my goal is to stay here for at least a year.

I completed a TEFL course back in my own country to get me started here in Phnom Penh as a volunteer English teacher.
During this time, i plan to learn the language as fast as possible and also learn more about the country and the people.
I'm currently staying at a hotel while i'm looking for an apartment near the center of PP.
Apart from an apartment, i also need to find a moped/scooter.

I joined this forum to read how others are doing it and to search for said apartment and scooter.

Regards,

Matt

Closed