Lunar New Year in Vietnam

Hi All,

I'm just moving to Vietnam for 5 months. I don't know what to do for Lunar New Year in Vietnam. I heard that on Tet holiday, many Vietnamese back to their hometown, so there is deserted in Sai Gon, right?

If everybody goes back to their hometown to celebrate Tet, then wouldn't anybody born in Saigon come back there too???

Hi jack,
It's true that during Tet hoiliday, most of Vietnamese come back to their hometown or  taking a fieldtrip. Many people will go faraway like: Thailand, Singapore, Campodia, … or some people will take a trip to Đà Lạt, Sa Đéc, Sapa...

wjwoodward wrote:

If everybody goes back to their hometown to celebrate Tet, then wouldn't anybody born in Saigon come back there too???

Hi Wiwood,

Aaaahh, your logic, like always, is impeccable … :D

wjwoodward wrote:

Yes, it is true. But normally, in big cities like HN or HCM, u will see the number of ppl who come from another areas is higher than the number of ppl who come back HN or HCM as their hometown. And because it is long holiday so many HCM citizen will go somewhere to enjoy vacation.  Then, in Tet Holiday, you will have another feeling when u r in HCM. The city is more quiet and not crowed, but only in short time may be 2 - 3 days :D

jacklee0739 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm just moving to Vietnam for 5 months. I don't know what to do for Lunar New Year in Vietnam. I heard that on Tet holiday, many Vietnamese back to their hometown, so there is deserted in Sai Gon, right?

HI Jacklee,
I am newbie too. I also just moved to HCM 5 months ago. I have no plan for Tet Holiday now but if you have free time, I can mes u when I know any info or event that we can join.

Piyo wrote:
jacklee0739 wrote:

Hi All,

HI Jacklee,
I am newbie too. I also just moved to HCM 5 months ago. I have no plan for Tet Holiday now but if you have free time, I can mes u when I know any info or event that we can join.

Hi Piyo, I was busy for new year, how's about your new year? I hope everything is going well.  I just saw your recommendation about Tet holiday, that's sound interesting. I have been in SG for 5 months, I wanna explore new place to know more about culture, different local people, I heard there's a place very beautiful, we can see a tradition flower village over 100 years, and an ancient house with romantic love story...(i can remember the name of this house) So you wanna join with me?

Im VietNamese, My home town not Ho Chi Minh City, I go to hometown for Tet holiday. This is the bigest celebrate for VietNamese people. Everbody hope come back home. Ho Chi Minh will be deserted, no many moto bike,....
Nguyen Hue Steet is very  beauty place for wark in holiday.

Hope so great

A lot of stores are closed, so if you take medications or anything other than food, stock up.  Eating places will mostly be open, streets less crowded.

No gym for a week.  I'm going to get in a lot of hours working.

jacklee0739 wrote:
Piyo wrote:
jacklee0739 wrote:

Hi All,

HI Jacklee,

Hi Piyo, I was busy for new year, how's about your new year? I hope everything is going well.  I just saw your recommendation about Tet holiday, that's sound interesting. I have been in SG for 5 months, I wanna explore new place to know more about culture, different local people, I heard there's a place very beautiful, we can see a tradition flower village over 100 years, and an ancient house with romantic love story...(i can remember the name of this house) So you wanna join with me?

hi Jacklee, Of course I wanna join with u, plz send me msg and tell me more detail :D

If Saigon is deserted I can finally drive without getting stuck in traffic yeaah:D