Opening a bank account with a guardian visa?

Hi,

I just received my guardian visa. Does anyone know if there is any bank that allows foreigners to open a bank account when only holding that visa status? I had some business with HSBC the other day and asked them and the answer was a big NO so that's why I'm throwing the question out to you all.

Best Regards

Kent

Try Standard Chartered - it is the equivalent of any other visa that gives you residency rights so HSBC are incorrect. What they are missing is having an employment visa and a letter from your employer which is the usual practice.  Just explain that the school would have to give you a letter if anyone as you do not work in Malaysia but have bills to pay in RM so need the bank account.  Dont take no for an answer - escalate and ask to see the Manager - unfortunately it is the only way to get anything resolved.  Have used this route a couple of times to solve issues.  Its just because the workers have to tick boxes not think outside of them.

Thanks for the info Gravitas, I will visit SC asap and see what they require. I have been reading up a little bit and have heard that Hong Leong allows foreigners opening a bank account with a connected debit card with a passport so I will pay them a visit as well.

Kent