Malaysian cell phones

I've just arrived in KL and I like it so much I plan on staying...so I'm thinking of getting a phone.

I basically want the dirt-cheapest thing that will work to make a phone call, nothing more.

Do you have any recommendations for where to shop?

More importantly - how do the phones here work? You buy a phone and then buy air time separately? I don't completely understand the system, and advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
AJ

well you have both plans where you buy the phone and plan together which usually comes with a contract or none depends. My advise just get a phone seperately (lots of choice availabe even second hand) and buy the prepaid plan seperately. There are currently Celcom, Maxis, Digi, Umobile which are famous. I would advise Digi as this the cheapest in call rate if im x wrong or Maxis for best coverage. All the best buddy. Also, check with the shop if you want plan with call time and Data, or only data, or only call they have diff promo packs.

Go to Low Yat in Bukit Bintang. 6 floors of technology. Or close by is Sungai Wang Plaza on Jalan Bukit Bintang. I bought a phone for my visiting relative and it cost RM100. Hotlink pay as you go will get you a number and some minutes. Look for the red signs saying Maxis HOTLINK.

thanks to both of you for the advice!

You can also just get a local phone number from say Maxis and use the sim card in your current phone.  "Jailbreak" services are available everywhere for around R60 per phone.