Anybody moving to Canada from Singapore here???

Hi, I'm Lynn and I'm a HR Manager in the lifestyle industry.  I'm 48 mature nice woman, my daughter is into her 1st year in Nursing at Nanyang Poly and my son is in O Level. 

I've pending for PR approval now and would like to start to network with Singaporeans who is in the same process as me. 

I would also like to get to know more about Canada from Canadians there.   Like which is a good and decent place to stay with a lot of amenities, hospitals, University for nursing etc.   

Looking forward to meeting new friends. 

Cheers,
Lynn

P.S.  I have not chosen the province.  Let's see the response.

Hi Lynn

I am 30, I am a french woman living in Canada (Québec) and i want to go to singapore! So i guess we can help each other.
It is only 7 months i have been leaving in Montréal, but I can give some information.
I would like to know how is life in Singapour, and especially is it easy for an "immigrant" to find a job. As a french citizen, i am going to participate in the Work Holidat Programm which allow me to work in Singapore for 6 month. I am a young professionnal in the field of audit (accouting).

Thanks for you answer.

Hi Lynn,

Good luck with the PR application. I am sure you will get it. I am heading there next month to get my entry stamp. Got my PR recently.. Will be moving to Vancouver. trying to look for a job there will be the main thing in my mind.. But I am heading there for vacation and head back here, then to decide when is it a good time to head there permanently.

What do u have in mind? Which part of canada u moving to? I have relatives in Vancouver so its not too bad for me as I can save up on my accommodation while I am there.. Its just the job factor that is worrying me..

Cava Queenlat,

I have friends from France and UK coming here on a 6 mths work holiday visa and managed to get a permanent job within 3 months.. So I have seen it happened to my friends getting a job here.. so it shouldnt be a problem for u..

Any questions just feel free to ask.. I am heading to Vancouver to speak to some job agencies while i am there.. Do u think its easy to get a job there?

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Thank you for your answer.
Which kind of jobs are your fiends in?
I can't tell you a lot about Vancouver unfortunately. But I was told it is possible to get a job there as an immigrant, but like everywhere it may not be easy. But the advantage for you is that you are fluent in english! not the case for most french people.

Cheers,
Latifa

Dear Latifa,

One of them is working for a recruitment film as a consultant, the other in a trust company and another as an administrator in a relocation firm. It takes time to find but I am sure if you are determine, you will be able to find one..

I will be entering Canada as an immigrant as I have gotten my permanent residency status. So I am deciding when it is a good time to head over.. I am currently working in the banking sector.. So not really sure about the markets there! And my french is just very basic..

When do u intend to move over to Singapore?

Kelv

Kelvin,

CONGRATULATIONS on getting the PR!!  How long do you have to wait from application to approval and do you go through an agent?   I used AIMS here and paid them about $5K.  They will be lodging in my application in April, and so I have to wait and wait now.  I hope the agent can be trusted as they told me I was eligible before I pay them the fees.  I have just paid another CAD 1,600 for 4 people to lodge my application.   

Why do you choose Vancouver?   I felt that the houses there are the most expensive.  For me, I would like to fully paid and not take any mortgages, if possible.  You should know in Singapore here we are paying through our noses for a roof here.  Have you considered other provinces?   

Dear Queenlat,

What jobs are you looking for?  Can you send me a copy of your CV?

Hi Lynn,

I waited 4 yrs (varies on each individuals). Paid an agent do it - Emigration Center. About the same as wat u paid.. The reason so is I dun wanna go through the hassle of filling up all the forms.  But if u got urself a reputable agent, more or less u should be fine.

Well, I got canadian relatives staying in Vancouver. So it would be wise for me to stay with them (save on my accomodation costs while finding a job). Otherwise I would have to fork out $$ to pay rental. I could use Vancouver as a base to find jobs but not sure hows the market there is right now. So will have to visit the agencies while I am there for my vacation..

Do you have any idea then? I worked in the banking sector. Currently 31 yrs. I dun have any committments so guess it would be wise for me to decide when I have to be there.. Still have no idea when I should move over.. The thought of losing my job here and heading over without one is not pleasant. I am not sure who I can turn to apart from having to search for jobs agressively... Furthermore, it would be hard for me to find one while I am still here...

Hi, I am Yak Mun from Singapore. I and my husband got our COPR. We intend to fly to Vancouver in July 2010. Which place do you intend to move? Feel free to drop me any questions.

Hi everyone, I am Singaporean and I have a pending PR application for Canada, the High Comission has requested for my FBI police clerance since I lived in the US for more than 6 months before, but the problem is that I could not find any finger printing agency in Singapore to fill in the FBI form. Anyone has experienced with this before? I am sure that you have to do police clearance before the PR is issued, may I know how you get over this. Thanks so much!!

Jason

Hi Jason,

You can get your finger prints done at the Police Cantonment Complex by Chinatown. I am pretty sure you will need one for Singapore too.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I am also in the midst of moving to Canada.  I went through Abrams and Krochak.  Not sure if any of you have used their services before.

They advised me to start looking for a job in Canada while I'm still in Singapore.  And along the way as I was doing research, I learned that they wanted Canadian experience, speaking BOTH English (my native language) and French (can't speak.. but willing to learn) is an advantage.

I am an auditor by profession. 

I also read that a lot of the professional jobs such as auditing are "hidden".. .as in they are not advertised.  And a network is necessary to secure a job in Canada.

Now I'm apprehensive.  As I have no family in Canada.  And am not sure if I want to give up a stable, professional career over here to take a risk of not being able to secure a job to live well in Canada.

Anyway, I'm here to make friends with both Singaporeans going over there, Singaporeans over there and Canadians coming over here. :D

So hi everyone!

El

Hi Nobitamiao, thanks for replying and providing much valuable information. :)
I dont know any malaysians living there. I only know malaysians who are heading there.↲

i have the same sentiments exactly. I know if i wait it wont happen. I am 30. :)
All the best in your job search. Do let us know when you are successful so that we can celebrate and congratulate you! :D

I live in Vancouver right now and planning to move to Singapore
Right now I can tell you vancouver is difficult to find a job.

The economy hasn't really picked up since the american economy flop.
Im thinking in another one or two years it should be better again.

full time work came down around early 2009.

so I see 2012 as the pick up point. hope this helps

Hi
I am also new to this. Our application is also under process now. With our final stage to go, i.e. medical.

Where do u plan on moving to ladylynn?

As for FBI clearance, you need to download the forms from the website and then head to the Police headquarters at Cantonment Road. I had to do 3 different clearance as I have been living overseas most of the time. But all the clearance went smoothly.

Now just our medical and do wish us luck.

Cheers
V

His all, my family and I immigrated to Toronto, Canada from Singapore a few months ago.

I may not know a lot about this place yet but if anyone is interested in coming to Toronto and needed help, just let me know and I will try to help as much as I can.
Best regards to all

that's very generous of you Toronton...

We are at our final stage in application...Planning to head to Vancouver. So if anyone has settled in Vancouver, I would appreciate some insights on the place like where is good for a middle class family with elementary school going age to settle in. Coquitlam? Cloverdale?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
V

Hey, no prob

I think a lot of Asian chooses Burnaby, Richmond, Vancouver and Coquitlam.
I think the best would be either Burnaby or Richmond as they are closer to the core, slightly cheaper. And got the trains running through them.

In terms of education i say all 4 are equal in terms of their education for elementary and High School. I quite like burnaby's high school curriculum.

As for job prospect I think it doesn't matter as most of Greater Vancouver commute to different cities to work anyways. Make sure you got a car.

But I can tell you which Area you might want to choose.

Burnaby North is a quite community.
Burnaby South has a big korean community.
Burnaby Central has a nice forest environment. close to metrotown.

Steveston in Richmond got a big japanese community.
Anywhere around No 3 road in Richmond got lots of shopping and Food.

Vancouver you might want to choose Marpole, Kerrisdale, Kitsilano, Kilarney or Sunrise Area.

Thanks Naomi...

For those who have taken your medical exam for the FSW application via Singapore, please advice which designated doctor did u select. Also is the immigration extremely stringent with their medical examination and only aim for perfect health?

tks
V

Hi V,
We went to the doctor located opposite Orchard cinema and don't worry too much about the medical unless you have a major chronic medical condition that will drain the Canadian health care system according to the doctor.

Anyway the doctor we went to assures us that there is very slim chance for anyone to fail the medical.

Hope all goes well for you.

Hi Toronton

Thanks for your encouraging reply.
Are you referring to Chew Da Costa Pte Ltd,
Joel L. Da Costa
No 1 Grange Road,
10-11 Orchard Building,

Nobitamiao: Thanks for your comments. Good luck on your job confirmation. Please advice where will be a good place to settle in for a family with 3 kids all elementary school age and below 11. If things go well, we should be there by May 2011.

Let's keep in touch and help one another whenever we can. My aunt has been living there for the past 25 years and she is in Coquitlam. But she is hardly in town nowadays cos my cousins have all moved out of Vancouver.

Any idea where are u planning on settling?

Cheers
V

Thats the one : )

Hi Lynn, I will be happy to share my experience about relocating from Singapore to Canada. I'm an American citizen who lived in Singapore for 2 years, between 2005-2007 and who has lived in Quebec City and more recently here in Vancouver, BC. Just for starters, Vancouver has the biggest community of Asians in North America, so finding people sharing the same cultural background and taste should not be a challenge. Just let me know which specific topics you want to find more about. Cheers.

I feel so excited for you, Nobitamiao...We have shortlisted the following:
1. Burnaby North/central
2. Coquitlam in the Landsdowne/Plateau area
3. Surrey (Cloverdale)

Would want to check out those places before we make our decision on where to settle in. Possibly rent first.

Let's all stay in touch and keep up with our forum "meetings".

Cheers
V

Hi Toronton, Veevee, Asiapac and others:

Gosh, I lost this track I've posted and when I finally got here again, I'm thrilled to see new responses. 

And in the meantime, I've resigned from my job as HR Manager and started my own recruitment business, sold my private property preparing to survive in Canada.  And still waiting for my PR application status.  Last I heard from my agent was that I needed to submit recommendation letters from employers more than 10 years ago. 

I'm still hopeful and I really would like to connect with people either in the process, in Canada, in process of buying a house in Canada etc. 

I have been browsing properties.  Vancouver has got good climate and beautiful scenery but I do not think I would like to pay so much for the housing.  On the other hand, Toronto is very cosmopolitan too.  And there's Calgary, Edmonton (where I heard the Singaporean population is increasing) and many others.  \

Ultimately, it might come down to the friends I could make there.  I pray, I pray and I pray.  And I' also glad my pastor is going global to Canada now. 

Best regards
Ladylynn
Mature and mum of 2 teens.

Is there a faster way to communicate?  Such as MSN?

Add me
MSN : [email protected]
Facebook: Lynn Kristine Kueh

Love
Lynn

P.S.  I'm so excited.

When did u submit your application, Ladylynn? You seem very very certain of the move. Well, u should also do research of where u are heading.

My family is down to the final stage where we are expecting our medical request from the CHC...

Hope things work out and we be there by next fall.

Cheers
V

I applied in January this year.  Had wanted Australia, but HR position dropped from long term migration list, so I short of 5 points.  Agent advised me to go for CANADA.   

And boy, am I glad.  The more I read about Canada, the more I fall in love with that beautiful country. I want to build a better life for my kids. We are simple and nice people and we are homely and enjoy a slower pace of life.  After struggling more than half a life here, its just not for me.  And the sudden change of government policies is just not right. 

Anyway, long story.  How are you?  When did you apply?  I would like to think I can make it, because we have sold our assets.  People said I'm so brave, but if you have a dream, then just have to achieve it.  My daughter is studying nursing now.  But son National Service might be an issue. 

Back to Canada - talking about fall.  I've never seen Snow before. 

Can we keep in touch?  Which province are you applying?  You are already confirmed PR status?   I'm so happy for you.

Lynn Kueh

Hello Lynn

We applied under the FSW system this year. I didn't think the application process will be this fast. We are now down to the final stage of having to undergo our medical. Crossing our fingers that that will be successful and off we go next fall.

My family also leads quite a simple life here. But we are not ready to liquidate anything yet at this point of time. Reason why we choose Vancouver is because there are lots of beautiful sights there plus it's less than 45mins to the US where we can make our family trips to. At the same time, we have friends and relatives there.

Yes, I agree that Singapore is not the place for my family as I find the education system stiffling and too stringent. Plus I can never beat any kiasu parent here as I do not make my children study syllabus 1 year ahead of their abilities. I am also not the type who sends my kids to every enrichment school in Singapore. I don't wish for my children to suffer in this society and missing out on their childhood. That was what that prompted us to apply this year. However, we note there are also such parents and kids in certain parts of Vancouver. No hard feelings against anyone but we do not intend to send our children to POPULAR schools with too many Singaporeans or Chinese kids there. Otherwise it will be back to square 1 for us except we are in a different country! Our friend sends his child to a local school in Surrey and the child is enjoying her school life. She can learn at her pace and is doing well for herself yet, she has quality time to enjoy outside school activities. That is something I value and hope for my kids to experience.

One drawback about Vancouver is it rains a lot. And it's experiencing an EARLY x'mas now with snow falling last weekend. Of course the other drawback is its taxes be it HST,PST,income taxes to name a few.

When did you apply?

Cheers
V

Veevee,

First of all, are you Chinese because by your name, I thought you are Indian.  Does not matter anyway.  :D

I started to explore around Jan this year and I think the final application for Canada started around March 2010.  I applied under the skilled occupation category (what is FSW) and I believed the application was sent to the Canadian Embassy in Canada around June 2010 because the agent said have to vet through every piece of document to ensure that all is complete.  Now I'm in the process of getting the documents for notarisation.   No funds have been deducted from my credit cards yet and no medical have been called up. 

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you on the meritocracy system in Singapore.  I do not believe in rushing kids to tuition, enrichment etc and if I do, most conversation centered on "How they do for exam? Which tuition is good?" blah blah.  There's nothing else intelligent to share anymore.  And driving here is literally from one carpark to another carpark.  Have discussed with my kids and we all agree that there are greener pastures abroad.  For the same amount of money as a HDB flat, we get better quality housing with a generous backyard for our dogs to roam. 

The agent said that most Singaporeans went to Vancouver or Toronto.  Its hard to make plans for Canada now as I do not have approval yet. But I hope to make some business connections first.  And I hope to purchase a decent house and maybe rent out or what.  Is it viable to be landlord in Canada?

I have no friends or relatives connections in that part of the world. It is indeed a bit scary.  So literally I'll be the first generation for the Chua family.  I dream my teens will be able to assimilate into the culture.  I do not look to coming back except for business. 

P.S.  Had actually wanted to buy a HDB after the sale of our condo. But suddenly there's a HDB policy change where you have to stay for 5 years in it and cannot buy another foreign property.  Well.....

Love
Lynn

Hi Lynn

I am also a Chinese.

I am surprised that you haven't reached the stage of submitting all the required documents since you have started application in March 2010.

As a foreigner without PR approved, you can still purchase a property in Canada but the loan quantum will be very different. Also it's better to purchase if u are sure u are going there because it's not easy to take control of situations when you are miles away from your asset!

If you haven't even submitted your notarised documents, it implies you are still quite far away from your application. We submitted all our documents to the Singapore office sometime in April this year and they only started reviewing and processing 5 months later in September. I usually check the status of my application via the cic website using my file number. If yours has been submitted, you should receive a file/immigration number by now. We have already submitted our police clearance certificates from all the countries we have lived in and right now, we are down to waiting for them to send us a medical request. We hope to get everything approved by Feb 2011 and leave for canada by June. We have our minds set on Vancouver...Frankly, if u want, we can discuss via msn sometime soon.

I hope the procedure has been pretty clear. Just feel free to correspond. I hope we all get to leave by next year.

Cheers
V

HI V,

I just talked to my agent after seeing your email.  They said that procedures have been minimised in the last quarter.  Now they need everything to be submitted to CAC Canada, before sending back to CAC in Singapore to be notarised and the waiting period will be cut short. I tried to ask for my file no, but she said I do not have one yet. You understand what I'm talking, because I do not get how it can be shortened.

Anyway, I just want to be APPROVED (staying positive because the agent has collected my 50% deposit).  Most likely it will be the year after next as my daughter graduates by then with a Diploma.

Vancouver housing is quite high.  Are you going for a house or an apartment at downtown?   I also have this phobia of a house being washed away.  Also, could we bring maid over?  BTW, where is the downtown. I think job and business opportunities are more too. 

Next year will be so exciting for you, V, as you all prepared for your 1st landing.  So envy.

Yes MSN as I'm online whole day.  [email protected].   Add me.

Any other suggestions from anyone else on other provinces?

Hi Lynn

I am also online via msn now. but u are not... I can perhaps explain things to u...

Anyway, yes, step 1 is to send out the preliminary application to CIC Sydney office. Sydney side will send us an email stating they want our documents notarised etc and this email will also contain a file number. With that, step 2 is for you to send all the relevent documents (notarised) to the Singapore CIC...I went to a law firm in Jurong East to notarise my documents and I believe that is one of the cheapest in the market considering the number of notarised documents we need. I also went to the photo studio at Holland V that specialises in Immigration photos.

I m online now....

cheers
V
The website is very straight forward.

Read this blog only today and saw that we all share similar ideals, dilemas and hopes. I am also a Singaporean hoping to migrate to Vancouver. We landed last year and now back in Singapore and preparing to make the big move soon.

downtown is quite expensive. Yes it is the city hub.

And no if you live in city of Vancouver, not say Richmond or delta there is no fear of floods unless you live in a valley. But I lived for over 20 years in Vancouver and never experience washout houses.
but compared to a HDB house price to vancouver housing cost you are definitely a ways off.

If you say you had 650000SGD I am sure you can find older home or a townhouse or duplex. Plus or take you would have to take out a small mortgage.
these are approx. (in vancouver east side not downtown or vancouver west)
cause a duplex/old home is roughly 550k Canadian. and I think thats without the tax if its new.
Brand new landed house on a standard lot is 850k canadian.

on the west side your looking at over 1M canadian for standard lot home. Apartment are around 500k -600k for 2 rooms or less.

anyone knows where to get info on singaporeans/malaysians that have started some business/companies in Vancouver ?
Thanks.

Hi there,
I am a Singaporean living in Canada. We moved here in 2005, and are living in Calgary. It took us about 2-3 years to get our PR after application. If you have any questions, please ask!

Annette

Hi !

Such interesting post. I really like this discussion.

Thank you LAdyLynn for this subject, I would like to answer many questions, but just need time and as I saw that some of you asked about Vancouver so my contribution will be about Vancouver and places (quarter, areas...) of the city :

Here is a witness writing from a person who used to live in vancouver :

Davie St, by far is the best area of town! This is the busiest street of the city and it passes down to Yaletown and EnglishBay! Everything is concentrated, bars, clubs, shops decorations, clothing, hairdressers, restaurants, cofee shops, Super Value, a Safeway, the greengrocers is cheap!
The West End, a small village in the town in this district, there is almost small buildings and townhouses! sidewalks are bordered by lawns and flower gardens! The West End is surrounded between Davie, Robson and Thurlow Denman! To live in the West End is just being in the middle of everything!

Commercial Drive, outside of Downtown is a great place, as long as you don'T go far away than the 14th street (though the 14th there is the Trout Lake, a beautiful lake where you can go jogging and walking your dog) and commercial street. Rather try to get closer to 1st Avenue where living spaces are cool! This street is particularly affectionate by artists, hippies but some addicts (hastings rejects unfortunately few specimen) there are Dollars Grocer, a grocer who sells fruits and vegetables really cheap and nice café with terraces, most Italian products are there, So open your eyes and your mouth! There are panini, pasta and espresso. There are also many Greek restaurants! In short a nice place, the Skytrain is there so letMs took the advantage!

Kitsilano, accessible by bus from downtown, a neighborhood super pleasant, with shops, restaurants, you'll find everything you want! Unfortunately I have not spent enough time to explain more! But it is a great place to live….. if not the players the Canucks would not have their houses here...

Denman, at the bottom of the Downtown Street super busy, lots of restaurants, close to the beach and Stanley Park, a branch of the library, community center (for dance and other cheap), it just a few offices away so if we're late in the morning it must provide for its running time!

Yaletown / Coal Harbour neighborhood super rich, but nice because there are a lot of bars including Mainland (Yaletown), but rents are super expensive! In Coal Harbour, the view is simply beautiful North Vancouver and the mountains, but as I said rather little to go shopping (an Urban Fare will open but it cost super expensive!) so if there is no car it will be hard to live there!

Hope I helped a little bit .

I'll be back to contribute more, and I wanna say I like singaporian and chinese community. Hope we can be friends.

Abdel

Hi annettekt,

How do you cope with the extreme weather in Calgary, moving from a HOT Singapore?
How is the job market in Calgary ?
Are there many Singapoeans in Calgary ?
Thanks

Hi nobitamiao, Hi Naori,

My family with 3 kids got our landed status last year and planning to move in to Vancouver area this year.  But now having apprehension - what if we can't find a job.

What is the prospect of finding a job before we go there for a plant maintenance manager? Nobitamiao, how did you go about getting a job first.

Appreciate your advice.