Meditation group

Is there an English-speaking meditation group that meets regularly in HCMC? I've been here less than a week and would like to keep up my practise and meet some people.
Thanks!

When you meditate, don't you have to block out everyone and everything?  Why need a group?  That would be some group, wouldn't it?

Haha that would be an interesting group! It's an individual activity but it's helpful to do it with others. Just like runners, for example, can share experiences and encourage each other.

The meditation I do actually lets everything in, and the practise is to not let these swings away you too much. I will have to go back to myanmar and Thailand for this.

What type of meditation do you practice?

I do vipassana meditation, in the Theravada tradition.

60 Duong So 4, Thao Dien Ward, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City
Not sure they are still in that address. Check their website.

Alright fellas,

How do you really get at this meditation thing?  I sit down and I want to get up.  I close my eyes only to see them open.  The more I try to block out something, the more I see it.  Maybe not the exact same thing, but very similar.  For example, I want to block out Saigonmonkey, only to see images of Bob Marley...  Last but not least, when I take a breath, I smell life and excitement, then I want to get out and live.  How do mortals like me get at meditation?

Wild_1 wrote:

Alright fellas,

How do you really get at this meditation thing?  I sit down and I want to get up.  I close my eyes only to see them open.  The more I try to block out something, the more I see it.  Maybe not the exact same thing, but very similar.  For example, I want to block out Saigonmonkey, only to see images of Bob Marley...  Last but not least, when I take a breath, I smell life and excitement, then I want to get out and live.  How do mortals like me get at meditation?

Don't you ever sit at the beach and just not think about anything?  How about watching a sunset and just marvel at nature?  It's a winding down way of coping with the busy-ness of the day...like being at the office with a overbearing boss.  You could let it affect you or you can learn to block the experience out.

Some guys take a rod and reel and sit on the water in their boats all day.  They aren't there to catch fish to eat, they're there to relax and in a way, meditate on their life.

I often wonder about how to meditate. Usually when I sit in my tropical fruit forest of a backyard I end up seeing beer on the branches in place of the fruits.  :lol:

Wild_1, I suggest you learn meditation from MIA2013. There's no higher attainment than turning fruit into beer using only the power of your mind.

But seriously, there are numerous places west of here (Thailand, Myanmar, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal) that have centres catered to foreigners. Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. In the meantime you could pick up some books, but it's hard to learn just by reading. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you some suggestions.

And thanks CharmaVietnam for the link! I will check it out.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Don't you ever sit at the beach and just not think about anything?  How about watching a sunset and just marvel at nature?  It's a winding down way of coping with the busy-ness of the day...like being at the office with a overbearing boss.  You could let it affect you or you can learn to block the experience out.

Some guys take a rod and reel and sit on the water in their boats all day.  They aren't there to catch fish to eat, they're there to relax and in a way, meditate on their life.

At the beach...  How can you be thinking about nothing, especially with all those pretty women parading around, in skimpy clothes? 

Watching the sun set...  I used to do that.  But, I was in my early 20s and sailing the 7 seas; the sun was the only cool thing on the horizon, for days on out.

Overbearing boss, or an under-performing employee...  Yes, such a fellow is a shame to the human race.  However, I can never afford to allow him or her to get to me.  My lease on life is just too short.

Fishing...  Lord, that is punishment, for me.  No can do, sir!  I have never caught a fish in my life.  Thus, I gave up trying a long long time ago.

This meditation thing interests me because 2 of my best friends, 2 ultra-competitive guys, had recently took up on and liked it.  But they did theirs separately.  Therefore, when Howie asked for a group, I was like, "What...  But how???"

MIA2013 wrote:

I often wonder about how to meditate. Usually when sit in my tropical fruit forest of a backyard I end up seeing beer on the branches in place of the fruits.

You don't need to meditate.  What you need to do is attend an AA meeting.  Yes...  My name is Lan, and I am an alcoholic...  :lol:

Howietp wrote:

But seriously, there are numerous places west of here (Thailand, Myanmar, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal) that have centres catered to foreigners. Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. In the meantime you could pick up some books, but it's hard to learn just by reading. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you some suggestions.

I don't know...  What if stupid me go to meditate, then turn out like Lan, overthere, muy loca?

Howie is jealous. He doesn't have the power to meditate fruit into beer! Watch out Howie, I just received my book on Spirit Possession. I am gonna read it and really meditate. I will turn you into beer!! Or a zombie, or an xe om. :lol::lol::lol:

Yo no soy loca, tu eres loco! Oh does AA mean amazing Asian? :D

Lan

Lan,

I forgot to tell you:  In Vietnam, they shoot their witches.  :D

Howie,

That's mean.:nothappy:

Alright, alright...  How about:  they celebrate them in a less-than-conventional way?

Wild_1 wrote:

Alright, alright...  How about:  they celebrate them in a less-than-conventional way?

Much better...now let us meditate. :P

Sure, Lan.  But first, let me trade my motorbike in for a broom...  :D

Howie,

No need, I will bring my own.:lol: This is for you.:dumbom:

What about me?  Hey, does your broom come with ABS and Navigation, Lan?

I'm sure all three of us can fit on Lan's broom, with space left for a dog, a tv, cardboard boxes, metal poles....

Howie,

What are you going to do with the metal poles, man?

Jousting? Maybe I've been indulging in too much game of thrones :)