Martial arts in Ho Chi Minh

I have recently arrived in Ho Chi Minh from Korea. I am living in district 7. In Korea I had ridiculous amounts of free time and took to studying martial arts. It's perfect for me. Keeps me stress free allows me to think. I'm no fighter but I like the study of it. I'm starting to get a bit antsy after being here a month and would like to start training again. My previous training was in MMA,Muay Thai and boxing. I have no issues trying anything new. I have heard that there is Phillipino martial arts in D1 and that sounds pretty cool. Judo,hapkido,aikido,kung fu or the Vietnamese fighting art. Anything really, short of Karate or Taekwondo that is. I am not really interested in those two.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Why don't you be interested to karatedo and taekwondo, Goobag?

I have tried both before and didn't enjoy the training.
Different strokes.

Hi,
Have you tried Vovinam? I would recommend the club in District 10. Add: 31 Su Van Hanh, d.10
Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQWpLvBEV8g
Vovinam has other stuff too: self defense technique, art forms, not just leg technique. :D
Enjoy

Has anyone started any of these arts in later life ? I'm tempted to give one a go to get some fitness back, I did some karate when I was a child, but that was a LONG time ago :-)

If so can anyone recommend a club for adult beginners?

There are some french guys that have a few gyms with mma and kickboxing.
k1-factory.com/

They have one in d2 and one in d7, heard they opened one in Hanoi also.

Seems like nice guys but i dont train there myself yet need to get my back 100% first.

/Andreas

The French guys mentioned also offer Vovinam, but it's different. I would recommend Vovinam in D.10 to adult beginner, technically any beginner :D

You can learn Wing Chun. This martial art was learned by Bruce Lee from the last Grandmaster, Ip Man before he created Jeet Kune Do.

http://www.wingchun.com.vn/indexE.htm

Have fun....:)

i have a friend, he is very good at Martial Arts, his family opened a small gym for martial art practice. They are mainly training cascaduer in Vietnam. If you are interested in this kind of sport, i can introduce you to him. My friend is currently RMIT student in Saigon South district 7 too. Email me if you are interested, i can ask him for you.

If you want to learn martial arts you can. It might help you to prevent some boastful people. You can now defend yourself. [Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Thanks for the information guys.
D10 seems very far to travel. I might try the MMA gym but it is quite expensive. I probably can't justify more than one class a week.

Does anyone know where I can train in boxing, judo, filipino martial arts(Arnis/Eskrima/Kali), hapkido or aikido? I would like to study at least two of these martial arts.

Hey Goobag, I just recently moved in Vn also and is also looking for Kali (phillipino art) in Ho Chi Minh City...any luck on finding one?

@Laidbackfreak - I started Kyokushin Kan when i was 23 not a ripe age but i had followed Taekwando when i was younger so wasn't too hard. Biggest struggle when you start late will be stretching and only stretching, if you can't stretch allthe way at least your high kicks will not be that high so not a huge deal. You can always use the knee kick or the thigh kick! I saw a Dojo at Sky Garden in District 7. It's next to the N ike Shop in Sky Garden.

Goobag,

If you are interested in Aikido you can come to Rach Mieu off of Phan Xich Long on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings from 5:30pm to 7:00pm. The practice here is good and the instructors are nice.

Also, the dojo is spacious whereas many others are not.

If you want to join shoot me a reply or email me at:

[email protected]

Brian

Xin chao every body ^^

I'm looking for a Judo Club in HCMC... Someone knows about it ?

Thanks for your help !!

Etienne

Check it out at Nguyen Du Stadium in Nguyen Du st, D1 or Phu Tho stadium in Ly Thuong Kiet st, D10

Thank you for your help Trish ! I will check it very soon ! :)

i think Vietnamese martial is good for u. Vovinam or else, throughout martial, you can know more about vietnamese culture, history and character.

Hot_boy, I wish I could do Vovinam, but actually I think it's a bit hard for me ;)) I used to do judo, far more easy ;)))

I prefer Tai Chi and Aikido. ^^  So excited! :)

Im new to Ho Chi Minh from USA. I would like to train in traditional kung fu, I have a background in Muay Thai and Braz Jiu Jitsu, if anyone knows of a good place to train in vietnamese kung fu or, shaolin/ hung gar please let me know, thanks my email is [email protected]

Newtoo wrote:

Im new to Ho Chi Minh from USA. I would like to train in traditional kung fu, I have a background in Muay Thai and Braz Jiu Jitsu, if anyone knows of a good place to train in vietnamese kung fu or, shaolin/ hung gar please let me know, thanks my email is [email protected]

I've ever been trained in Binh Thanh Dist. I saw that they have many classes including Vovinam, Shaoling, Wushu, Karate, Taekwondo, Akido, Tai Chi etc.

Address: 8 Phan Dang Luu St, Binh Thanh Dist, HCMC.

I know a class of a master of Wing Chung kungfu who ever lived in Europe for approx 20 years. Currently he works in Import-Export field and teaches Wing Chung kung fu at his home. I have his phone number. Let me know if you interested in.

In addition, do you know Tay Son Binh Dinh martial arts? It is kind of a local martial arts of my countryside- Binh Dinh province. I can find the address in HCMC if you want.

It would be great to have a listing (martial art / address / contact)  on this blog with all the possible available martial arts in HCMC / Hanoi. Of course a list that has kept up tot date.

I've been doing Taekwondo at a local club in D1. It's easy to find clubs for Taekwondo, Vovinam, Karatedo, .. You can find them in every district if you walk a bit around. But finding Wing Chung, Hapkido, Krav Mega is something else.

Thanks to Tuyen i hope to check out the Wing Chung master, but if anybody knows a place where they practice Hapkido, Krav Mega please let me know.

@ Tuyen Vo, Thank you! I will check this place out in town, Do they have an address? or best time to go in, otherwise i'll stop by whenever,
Do you Currently live in Binh Dinh?
I have an opportunit to go north in March so its possible that I could go to Binh Dinh. It looks like a  very beautifull place compared to buisy HCMC!
Happy TeT,
Spencer

So is the French gym the only option for kickboxing/mma type training?

you can try all kind of boxing at MMA Fitness in district 7

if you want more information, please write us

thanks

Hi,
I would like to check this place out. Im in Phu my Hung, I believe is in Dist. 7..
Where are you located? What fees do you charge for training, and is there open door training or all sessions held at certain times? Thank you

why not for nunchaku ? :rolleyes:

Sure, Nanchaku, muay thai qi gong! Just give an address and Im Game! :D

I`m not remember exactly address but I know the where is it...in dist 1, I also intended to practice there previous....:)), or we can meetup here then go to club lols

Newtoo wrote:

Sure, Nanchaku, muay thai qi gong! Just give an address and Im Game! :D

Nanchaku:
CLB Côn nhị khúc - Nunchaku
tlf: 0937008446
119 Trương Văn Hải Ward:Tăng Nhơn Phú B District 9

Muay Thai
Rach Mieu Sport complex: near Kieu Bridge.
1, Hoa Phượng
D Phú Nhuận
(08)35173631

I don't think they speak English

Ah thanks, Would you be interested in going with? we could make sign language together to figure something out..

Newtoo wrote:

Ah thanks, Would you be interested in going with? we could make sign language together to figure something out..

Newtoo
Sorry. They are too exotic for my taste but jonh_nathan may want to join you.
Don't worry about the language though. I have seen foreigners practicing material arts without speaking a word of Vietnamese.

Newtoo wrote:

I`m Vietnamese so i can help you guy, mate lols ...maybe I will need to sort out my time first...not need to learn so far in dist 9...with nunchaku, we can join the club to practices new skills, one of my friend also practice in the park on Friday, u wanna join ?

Hey, Is this club nanchaku? do they practice others as well? That would be cool Ill go with, Im in Dist 7 phu my hung. i might be buisy this friday but what times do you meet at the park?

Newtoo wrote:

Hey, Is this club nanchaku? do they practice others as well? That would be cool Ill go with, Im in Dist 7 phu my hung. i might be buisy this friday but what times do you meet at the park?

My friend often come there on Evening, Thursday...they teach members how to art with nunchaku without school fee, the location in dist 1.

I also can use nunchaku at the moment but not well as them....I will contact him soon to ask for detail address then publish you guys here, hope it will be help full with people...

cheer

Hi guys!
I know a gym in district 7. You guys can go there for check out the gym with kickboxing, boxing, mma...in Nguyen Huu Tho street, opposited Hoang Anh Gia Lai 3, and very nearby Phu My Hung ;)

Cheers.

i form thailand , live in phu my hung now

i try to setup muaythai club in phu my hung for me share some muaythai to all who interest, who can provide venue ?

thank you

Hello Muay, I cannot provide a venue, but I could suggest we go to a park to practice if this would be ok?

muay wrote:

i form thailand , live in phu my hung now

i try to setup muaythai club in phu my hung for me share some muaythai to all who interest, who can provide venue ?

thank you

if you guy have a place to practice then we can take part together, there are many parks in HCM we can share,please let me know if you guy interest in park then I suggest for location, i`m local people and know some quite park here.... I know nothing in muaythai, just have skill in teawondo and some china kungfu :D, hope can exchange new skills with you guy .