English Language Cinema in HCMC?

Hi all,

I am keen to head off to the movies tonight, but I have heard that there aren't many English language cinemas in Ho Chi Minh City. 

Can anyone recommend one to me?  The closer to D2, the better!

Cheers!

Hi Tano, we are fans of Hollywood sites so no worry, cinema always updated top movie box; only subtitles Vietnamese and I do believe american accent would be no problem with australian :P

No cinema available in D2 but 3 ones in D1 named : Glaxy Nguyen Trai ( 230 Nguyen Trai,D1- (08) 3920 66 88); Galaxy Nguyen Du ( 116 Nguyen Du, D1- (08) 38 235 235)and Lottle Diamond Plaza ( 13th floor, Diamond Plaza, 34 Le Duan, D1- (08) 3822 7897 ) but thought that the first two is better as more choices and bigger. You can call to reserve a seat or ask about movie details.

Have fun!!!!

Galaxy Nguyen Trai cinema is new & good, you can watch 3D english speaking movies as well.

what about world premier movies?hmmmmnnn? Captain America is in Widescreen..when in VIetnam...? I guess the amswer is"I dunno"

in d7
Lotte Cinema or Parkson Paragon
lottecinemavn.com

galaxy, megastar, lotte cinema all screen new english movies, all with vietnamese subs. each cinema has their own website which u can find pretty easily. its in english and in vietnamese. u can find which movies show and their showtimes.

some movies take a bit of time to be released, maybe a week or two after US release. some (Thor for example) screened here a week before the general USA release.

@honeyclotte, im not sure wat u mean by 'world premier' movies. nor am i sure wat u mean by captain america in widescreen. pretty much all movies are in widescreen these days. maybe u mean 3D? captain america has been showing in vietnam for over a week, i saw it last wednesday at megastar @paragon, dist 7

MegaStar is Ok , you can search it on :megastar.vn/en/nowshowing
have fun!!

Thanks everyone for the tips.  We ended up going to Galaxy Nguyen Trai and had a great time!

Beside the Cinema, sometime I go to Bobby Brewer, this is a great place to watch movie too

glad u had fun, galaxy is a good cinema but often too crowded for me :P

and honeyclotte, u can talk to me via the forum, without sending me rude private messages :) that'd be better

i actually stopped going to cinemas quite a long time ago when i realised that they have dvds of movies that arent even screened yet in Saigon xD

Fyi, dimovie.vn aggregates all movies and sessions of all cinemas in HCMC, including Megastar, Galaxy, BHD and others. Hope it helps ;-)

xpression wrote:

some movies take a bit of time to be released, maybe a week or two after US release. some (Thor for example) screened here a week before the general USA release.

If I'm not mistaken, "Iron Man 3" is opening at the cinema in the Crescent Mall in district 7 on April 26. It doesn't open in the US until May 3, one week later. The James Bond "Skyfall" film was the same, because I remember telling one of my family members back home that I had seen it, and they asked how I did that, when it wasn't even shown in the theaters there yet!

So, given that, I'd say the movie experience in Vietnam is pretty good. Just not quite the variety of selections you get in the western world.

Watched iron man last night at lotte diamond plaza HCMC. Nice.

Which Cinema do you guys think is the best to go to and isn't too crowded? Is it true that people tend to talk during the movie there?

It was my first experience in a cinema here cos I'm new to town. Lotte is n 13th floor of diamond plaza on le duan. A little talking here and there and I was stopped from using the phone. Otherwise it was good. Would've been nicer to go in a group so anytime you guys wanna watch a movie, give me a buzz. I'd be happy to join. Thinking of watching Lone Ranger and Olympus has Fallen.

Dilshaad

thaoh wrote:

Which Cinema do you guys think is the best to go to and isn't too crowded? Is it true that people tend to talk during the movie there?

Just gotta accept that their "in public" standards are... ahem, different... than other places.

Chatting, talking on the cell phone, letting kids run around... you feel like you're sharing a living room with 300 other people.

An inadvertent "you get what you pay for" scenario... I can't really complain when I'm paying just $3-4 USD for a first-release, 3D Hollywood movie with assigned seating.

I'd like to know if there are the VIP theaters where tickets are more expensive... perhaps that will be a closer to my usual movie-going experience. (I read about theaters in Bangkok that were $30 USD a seat, but there were only 50 people in the room, and everyone got super-nice seating and was waited on, along with pre-movie drinks in the bar).

Thanx for the heads-up LastInTranslation. I'm a huge movie watcher and plan to watch heaps of movies in the cinema when I get to Vietnam, which will be tomorrow :O.
But if the experience will be what you described it would be kinda disappointing haha.
If there's a really good cinema somewhere I would definitely want to see movies there.

LOW EXPECTATIONS... that's the key :)

I didn't find Megastar in the Crescent Mall too bad, but that's all the way out in District 7. I don't know if it was just me, but the Lotte in Diamond Plaza was just always so crowded. I'd say anywhere but there.

My expectations are already low haha. If I can actually hear the movie well I would be happy enough.
I probably will try the ones in District 7 too.

Has anyone tried the Galaxy Nguyen Du cinema? What is the experience there like? It's walking distance from where I will be so it would be most convenient.

Try the VIP lounge ( megastar)
of the Parkson paragon in D7 ? Vietnam,s  movie house is not too bad , not so crowded especially on weekdays, Seen Croods last week and we are only  2 adults and t two kids hahahahaha..we,ve been shouting, yelling and thrilled...

thaoh wrote:

My expectations are already low haha. If I can actually hear the movie well I would be happy enough.
I probably will try the ones in District 7 too.

Has anyone tried the Galaxy Nguyen Du cinema? What is the experience there like? It's walking distance from where I will be so it would be most convenient.

Yep... still crowded, but not as crowded as Diamond. It can be a pain getting your scooter out after a movie, though, the lot is fairly large with one exit. Walking is definitely the better option, so that works out for you.

There's also a Gloria Jean's coffee store on site... expensive, Starbucks-esque drinks, but great wifi and the air conditioning is on full blast. Good place to check email, take a break, etc.

EDIT: The moviewatching bit was alright as well, but I thought it was uncomfortably warm when I went.

Good thread. I was wondering if any of the local cinemas have big screens. I went to see Iron Man 3 last week at Galaxy Nguyen Du and the screen was tiny compared to back home. So far I've heard that the Galaxy in Thanh Bin district has larger screens, but that's way too far to drive.

Any recommendations for a big screen cinema in D1/D3/D4/D7?

Also I wish HCMC had an IMAX... one can only dream :cool:

Don't worry. It's only Asia movies have Vietnamese language.

Most of cinema mall in HCM city have English languages film with Vietsub. Hope you can enjoy it.:)