Just moved from UK to Sliema with a 3.5 year old and 2 month old!

Hello, We are originally from Canada but have just moved to Sliema a week ago after living in London for 6 years.  My husband is working in St Julian's and I am on Maternity leave. I know from reading there was a local meet up for expat moms at Playzone and have gone past there almost every day and it appears to be closed. Does anyone know if there is a local moms / tots meet up and when / where? I would love to join and meet some ladies and my daughter could definitely benefit from some little friends! I will be putting her into nursery part time but haven't worked out where / when yet.  If anyone has recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!   

Thanks!

Hi Denise.
I'm Denise too, not in Malta yet I'm moving there feb. but when I do  I'd love to  meet up my little girl is 3, we will be living in marsascala but ill be in sliema all the time as I have lots of family there. How are you finding Malta? Will your girl start school In October   in sure they start at 3 there.

Hi Denise, let me know when you are here, will definitely like to grab a coffee and introduce the girls.  I haven't quite worked out the school thing yet, I am going to see a nursery this week.  Will let you know what the outcome is.  I don't drive so am looking for something local.

I am loving Malta, its a bit too hot right now with a newborn so we have been wiling away the days in the shade at one of the local lidos, which are great!

Hi
Government schools start Kinder at 3...It's not compulsery but it's free and a great education with the school resources. She would start in October...Just a suggestion?

Hi coxf0001, Thanks for the information.  I will google around and find more details.  Sounds good!

Hi Denise,
If I am not mistaken, I think that place closed, but not sure so check their website.
However your best bet to meet people with young children is the garden with swings in it there is on the Sliema front just off Tower Road.  There you can meet up lots of parents with small kids and believe me thery are the best source of information - just go there and be friendly and chat.  Most of the time the children do the job themselves :)
There are places where you can take your daughter. The one I know is called Romparound and is in Swatar near the HSBC Call Centre and close to Mater Dei.  Never been there but my niece loves it there too
Also there is the Bugibba Waterpark which is close to the square in Bugibba and busses pass from there quite often especially in Summer.  Make sure to dress your daughter in her swimsuit and take a towel for after.  Obviously dont forget the sunblock and water.
Maybe try this site for any ideas - www.kidsmalta.com - browse all site however go in the fun and leisure section and might get some ideas for play zones
Hope this would help you

I'll let you know when I arrive, I drive so can always pick you up x

deniseb wrote:

Hi coxf0001, Thanks for the information.  I will google around and find more details.  Sounds good!

I think you'll find that most nurseries will stop at the age of 3 as the kids start school but still worth trying.

On the thread Secondry schools, Toonarmy has written what is needed for your children to start school...Saves you googling!!

Good luck!

Hi Denise,

we live in Gzira with our 3yo daughter and 5yo son. My son did go to the state kindergarten (part of the primary school and the Gzira and Sliema primary schools belong to the same college, St.Claire College)and starting school in September, my daughter will start kindergarten there. If you prefer private we have some friends whose children go to Newark school's kindergarten and are happy there.

We do not own a car, but have a dog, so we try to entertain the children locally. There is a small park and playground at Gzira waterfront or going cycling on Manoel Island or visiting the duck village there.

My children don't speak much English yet, but we could meet to play sometimes.

Evi

Hello Denise,
Sorry to interrupt but can you recommend a good Lido please? I have been wandering up and down the front wondering which are open to public and which belong to hotels!
I am equidistant between The Strand and Balluta Bay so I don't mind where.
Many thanks indeed,
Helen.

Welcome to join us at Playzone in Sliema from September 23rd (Thats when St Clares, Sliema, go back to school). Until then we are meeting at Neptunes. Inbox me if you would like more details.

Hi Denise

Nice to meet you we are moving to malta this year with jobs and we have a daughter who will be 3 the end of october, are you on facebook if so add me and we can chat, look forward to meeting you when you are over,

Laura

Hi,
I am a British expat who has lived here for 25 years! I am a qualified preschool teacher and ex head of a private kindgarten and nursery in Malta. I have an MA in Early Childhood Education and have a Mother & Tots groups ( 6months-36 months) starting on October 9th in Lija. I also do fun activities in the afternoons and Saturdays for 3-6 year olds. You can email me for the schedule and details on [email protected] or phone on 9984 3236. Hope to hear from you, Julie Mangion

Hi brighthorizons,

welcome to the forum.

It's never too late to join in - even after 25 years of being on the island!

Feel free to share your experience and not just promote your business.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi, I am a Uk national and have been in Malta for four years and have a 2 year 8 month old. I've been reading the blog and see that some Mums meet in Sliema..is it playzone? and I'd like to come along. Where are you meeting at the moment and when? Also any other info about mother and tot groups very much appreciated!

Playzone meet ups are not really happening right now. Everyone is pretty busy with visitors, holidays, sorting out school stuff etc.  We will be starting to meet again on Monday September 23rd at around 2.30pm. We also meet on Wednesdays too. We are usually there until around 5pm. Playzone is on Tower Road, in Sliema.
You will need to introduce yourself, otherwise we will just think you are a customer. If you are shy, you can inbox me before and I will look out for you and then introduce you to everyone.

Hi Sam,
Not sure if you saw my post yesterday about a Mothers & Tots group I have starting on 9 October in Lija. It is actually with the border of Attard- near Maypole Bakery. It is a bit different than the usual Mums & Tots- it is story-based, so as to encourage youngsters to love books and to promote language development. Lots of stories, rhymes, songs, puppets and movement. There's a different theme each week. It's called Little Bookworms.That's for the 1st hour, then its coffee for mums and freeplay for the little ones. If you want more information, please email me on: [email protected] or phone 9984 3236 . Thanks, Julie Mangion. BTW, I live in Attard too!

Hi everyone, I am so happy to find this post.

I'm moving to St Julian's at the start of next month with my husband and toddler and also have a baby on the way. It's great to hear there are other expats in a similar position looking for groups & meet ups.

If you guys find any other groups aside from the ones mentioned please let me know.

Denise, do you fancy meeting once I'm over here? It'll probably be the end of next month?

Hi everyone, thanks Damsel for the info about the meet ups at playzone, we'll try to get there on the 23rd or 25th, I'll inbox you before to let you know we're coming. Look forward to meeting you all. Thank Julie also for info about your group starting in October. I'll be in touch. Anyone else also in Attard? Thanks again, Sam

Hello,

I have started going to the one in Fortina Hotel which is near Tigne Point.  The pool is nice and not too busy with a great view of Valletta.  The seats around the smaller / shallower kids pool are less busy and I can always wheel in my pushchair.  Its 7 EUR for a day I believe, but they have never asked me to pay! 

Denise

what a bargain.....

Great to see you ladies getting together and making life a bit more fun.......it could have been so easy for some to feel very alone.

Enjoy girls.

Hi all! Here we are in Malta with my 2.2 yo boy. We still find it too hard to move across the island by bus and my son feels soooo lonely. Tomorrow we will start to visit day care centre till the middays, so the afternoons we are absolutely free. If someone is looking for a company for their babies, let us explore the beaches and parks together! I still plan to take my little one to Popeye village one day. We stay in San gwann, kappara. I still face problems with finding a supermarket to buy a new potty and other kid's stuff. So, there is too much to ask you about and discuss!

Hi Dani!
how are you doing?
my name is Nicole, I come from Italy and I just moved to Malta with my family, I live in Sliema as well, with my husband and my baby boy Rafael, he s 3months old.
We used to live in London as well! we left in april due to the incoming baby, it was too challenging to afford a life over there and I did not want to struggle to survive so.. we changed!
we have a lot in common :)
I would love to meet you and your kids!
at your convenience, even on this incoming weekend or when you prefer, we can have a walk or a brunch, whatever
hope to hear from you
my mobile is 99127559 if you want to text me
Have a nice evening!
ciao ciao
Nicole

Hi everyone!

Our family will be relocating to Malta next summer. We are originally from Toronto, Canada but we currently live in Cayman Islands. This thread has some great information! I have an almost 4 yr old daughter and a 2 yr old son. I have also started to look at the different schools.

Please keep the information coming! There can never be too much :)

Ashley

denise hope you are well i have lost your email laura