Hi Guys! :)

Hi Everyone,
So I guess like most of you I've decided to join this blog/forum in order to chat, meet people, receive advice and just generally share my/your experiences living in Norway. My name is Nafeesa and I just moved to Bergen about 2 and a half weeks ago. I came for some research I'm doing for my PhD dissertation but also just recently got engaged to a Norwegian guy so I'll probably be here for quite a while. I'd love to hear from everyone.. currently my top priority is finding a job but not sure if that's possible without first taking Norwegian .. if any one has advice about that would love to hear it!
Anyway for now just introducing myself.. also would love to meet up with any expats living in the Bergen area..

Hi!  Welcome to Bergen.  How are you getting on with getting settled?

What's your PhD about, if you don't mind my asking?

Hi! Thank youuu..Settling in has been a slow but steady process.. my fiance and I just recently found a flat to rent. That was becoming stressful since I had no experience with the bergen housing market ..its a bit cut throat it seems! Otherwise things are going well.. the research center where I am housed is full of wonderful scholars doing interesting work who are all very welcoming. So that's a plus.

The sunshine we're having recently is a definite bonus.. lol.
My phd is on representations of gender based violence in Black South African literature and hip hop.

What about you? Are you in school here?

nafeesat wrote:

Hi! Thank youuu..Settling in has been a slow but steady process.. my fiance and I just recently found a flat to rent. That was becoming stressful since I had no experience with the bergen housing market ..its a bit cut throat it seems

Yeah, it's tough to find a place!  I'm living in my brother in-law's old flat.  There are loads of students and renters, but not really enough buildings.

nafeesat wrote:

Otherwise things are going well.. the research center where I am housed is full of wonderful scholars doing interesting work who are all very welcoming. So that's a plus.

The sunshine we're having recently is a definite bonus.. lol.
My phd is on representations of gender based violence in Black South African literature and hip hop.

Enjoy the sunshine while you can.  200 days of rain is a good year.

Your dissertation topic == heavy.

nafeesat wrote:

What about you? Are you in school here?

I'm finished with uni for the moment, and am working as a web developer for a company just outside of town.  It's not quite hip-hop and literary analysis, I'm afraid.

Which research centre is it? I'm just finishing off a PhD with The Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration (Norges Handelshøyskole). The school is in Bergen but I'm based in Haugesund, which is a few hours to the south. The conditions seem to be pretty favourable for academics here. Not a bad place to start a career.

David

Hei David,
I'm at the Centre for Women's and Gender Research (Senter for Kvinner og kjønnsforskning). Sounds good! I'm hoping to do a post doc here once I'm finished the phd. In the meantime perhaps some teaching or research work if I can. Are you working in Haugesund? Based with a research centre?

Hello,

A lot of people are talking about the Senter for Kvinner og kjønnsforskning at the moment as it was featured in a TV show called Hjernevask (brainwash), which did not portray it in a favourable light. I don't know if you've heard people talking about it. I wouldn't ask anyone who works there about it in case it causes offence.

I work at a university college (Høgskolen Stord/Haugesund). As university colleges can't award PhDs, I'm registered as a student in NHH. I work as part of a research group working with problems related to regional science/economics. I'm also considering taking up a post-doctoral position after my PhD. My current contract runs until February next year, so I'll be around until then at least. I hope to move back to Scotland at some stage.

David

Hello All,
Is there anyone who is planning to drive to Oslo today - Thursday the 15.04.2010? As you all may have heard its a chaos at the Airport due to Volcano. I travel every week to Bergen for work and desperately need to get back to my home in Brussels by tomorrow as my best mate is getting married this Saturday. SO if there is anyone who is driving either to Oslo, Copenhagen or mainland europe and do not mind sharing the ride then please do give me a call on +32479218698.

I would highly appreciate it. Monetary terms can be agreed with. Once again, this is highly urgent.

Cheers
Achinster

hi

hi nafeesa!

you're right, apartment hunting is very cutthroat in bergen ... it took me 4 months before i got our apartment. i'm here with my husband, he's doing phd too, but it concerns fishes. i hope you like bergen! as we sure do. my husband says to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts, as once the rains begin, you can't stop it!

nafeesat wrote:

Hi Everyone,
So I guess like most of you I've decided to join this blog/forum in order to chat, meet people, receive advice and just generally share my/your experiences living in Norway. My name is Nafeesa and I just moved to Bergen about 2 and a half weeks ago. I came for some research I'm doing for my PhD dissertation but also just recently got engaged to a Norwegian guy so I'll probably be here for quite a while. I'd love to hear from everyone.. currently my top priority is finding a job but not sure if that's possible without first taking Norwegian .. if any one has advice about that would love to hear it!
Anyway for now just introducing myself.. also would love to meet up with any expats living in the Bergen area..

If you need a room - talk 2 me na - bumbai aku...kasi kalimuntang aku lahat tagalog na