We can't driving a car without Vietnam driver license??? Is that true

I heard from people, in Vietnam, even you have a international driving license, you still can not drive a car.....is that true? What about motor bike, what about the tourist?

Yes, it is true. You must have a VN driver liscense to drive a car in VN. Also need a VN motorbike liscense to operate a motorbike in VN, but with so many foreigners riding motorbikes here without liscenses, it's much harder for the police to enforce, so many people get away with operating motorbikes without a liscense. I would not advise driving a car here without one, though. And don't forget the rule, if a foreigner is involved in an accident, it's always assumed to be the foreigner's fault, unless you can prove otherwise, such as video evidence, etc. So be careful, regardless.

Well,not exactly. You will have to apply to the local Transportation Department to convert the Int'l driving license to local license before you can drive. Either you can apply directly or get the local agent to do it for you. Most of all will suggest to go with the agent to leave all the paperwork and burden aside. Some tourist not event care about that if they took motobike. Too many people on the street with their own vehicle, police will not care to catch you unless accidents or break the rule. that's all.

Since we are on the topic of driving and riding bike. As member of the ASEAN region, I can drive or ride in Malaysia and Thailand with my Singapore license.

Can anyone shed some light on this if I can do the same in Vietnam as a ASEAN country member?

Mike

Mike

My understanding is that if your driver license is issued in the new format recognizable by other ASEAN countries: it requires, amongst other things, English language translation (not a worry for Singaporeans, of course), you can use it to drive in Vietnam.
Similarly, it applies for Vietnamese driver license in other ASEAN countries.

The new format of Vietnamese driver license looks like this
http://dantri.vcmedia.vn/Uploaded/2011/01/04/GPLX20111.jpg

So can I drive with my Thai driving licences for car and motorbike, if I am in Vietnam ?

You can drive car, motor in VN with your local license. Because from Jan, 2013, VN join associations and apply foreign license from 190 countries around the world. So dont worry about that

No, VN driving licence is required. As far I am concerned,  it still be wrong, during your stay in Vietnam on a tourist visa, you are allowed to drive a scooter (up to 175 cc). Even that is likely not true in cases, something happens.

You need to convert the license into a Vietnamese one. I hold both a Malaysian and IDP car license and both aren't accepted here. So had mine converted a few months back through an agent. The cost was around 1.5 mill VND so pretty cheap. You'll have to wait a month for it to be issued though.

As mentioned before, ASEAN driver license is accepted in Vietnam without a need for conversion to Vietnamese driver license.

Here is one announcement from Thailand
http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edi … out-asean/

Similarly, Vietnamese driver license can be used elsewhere in ASEAN states without the need for conversion

Malaysian driver license should be the same. You should consult with your Malaysian authority why your Malaysian driver is not accepted here.

As mentioned earlier, the format needs to be in a format recognized by the Vietnamese authority, so if you have an older driver license thus in an format not recognized by Vietnam, it may not accept it.

International driver license is not accepted in Vietnam, but the country is in initial discussion/negotiation so it may take a couple of years before it is accepted.

Anatta wrote:

As mentioned before, ASEAN driver license is accepted in Vietnam without a need for conversion to Vietnamese driver license.

Here is one announcement from Thailand
http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edi … out-asean/

Similarly, Vietnamese driver license can be used elsewhere in ASEAN states without the need for conversion

Malaysian driver license should be the same. You should consult with your Malaysian authority why your Malaysian driver is not accepted here.

As mentioned earlier, the format needs to be in a format recognized by the Vietnamese authority, so if you have an older driver license thus in an format not recognized by Vietnam, it may not accept it.

International driver license is not accepted in Vietnam, but the country is in initial discussion/negotiation so it may take a couple of years before it is accepted.

In theory you may be right but it takes on average 2-3 years for the Vietnamese civil service to catch up with their own policy. My Malaysian license is up to date and there's only one format used for it.

Anyway i feel more comfortable getting my license converted as i own a car and dont want to screw up the insurance policy should i get into an accident. Best bet if you intend to drive in Vietnam is to play it safe regarding the paperwork because foreigners are always in the wrong should something go wrong in the eyes of the police.

truong_nguyen wrote:

You can drive car, motor in VN with your local license. Because from Jan, 2013, VN join associations and apply foreign license from 190 countries around the world. So dont worry about that

Trung oi - can you provide some reference to such an announcement, as I have just had a long discussion with a consultancy company in that respect.

For forigner to drive a car or truck  in Vietnam, you must be fluent in speaking Vietnamese and be holding a perm resident  visa . You must also pass the driving exams. Getting a truck license is a longer process. Hiring a car is cheaper and safer in the long run if just visiting. I drive a motorcycle when visit Vietnam.local police dont bother me. In HCMC it could cost you 200k if you get stopped by a police officer who will expect you to pay him off to walk away. You need to really need to know how to drive well when driving a moto in Vietnam no one follows any real rules of the road. It can be dangerous for you

Well, might be true for truck, but not for car! If you have car license you can drive a car.  No need to have TRC or PRC or speak Vietnamese.

My information was pulled from  A Govt of Vietnam website. Possibly out of date. Im from Canada and not part of an Asean country. I see it makes a difference to be from one of those countries.
Rules are constanly being changed and slow to update  Govt web pages.

I wonder what page?

Vaneric wrote:

For forigner to drive a car or truck  in Vietnam, you must be fluent in speaking Vietnamese and be holding a perm resident  visa . You must also pass the driving exams. Getting a truck license is a longer process. Hiring a car is cheaper and safer in the long run if just visiting. I drive a motorcycle when visit Vietnam.local police dont bother me. In HCMC it could cost you 200k if you get stopped by a police officer who will expect you to pay him off to walk away. You need to really need to know how to drive well when driving a moto in Vietnam no one follows any real rules of the road. It can be dangerous for you

Reading off my VN DL, the DL is Class A1, B1 or Motorcycle up to 175cc, Car up to 9 passenger and truck up to 3,500 kg. It took an hour or so, not much money and a valid US State DL. Note, this DL is not valid for commercial driving. It is also valid ASEAN wide. Also Note, All of these vehicles were listed on my US DL. If truck is not listed on your foreign DL, truck will not be on your VN DL

If you are in an accident involving a fatality with no DL, it is legally your fault and you can spend up to 20 years in a VN prison.

I have A2/B2 and B2 is for commercial driving too. but I also have C in my European license what is trucks past 3500kg but this was not given to me. :( well not really need that here :D also did you forget tractor with trailer??? that is in my VN DL :P

70 years old wrote:

If you are in an accident involving a fatality with no DL, it is legally your fault and you can spend up to 20 years in a VN prison.

I have heard that if you have accident and not have license you are at fault always.. but haven't seen any laws about these. also my half Vietnamese friend had also heard that but could not prove it . This "rumor" did not say anything about fatality..

Interesting, I didn't know that the "C" transferred as well. Due to the expense, much stricter regulations, no longer driving commercially and age, I gave up my Commercial DL a long time ago.

Wald0 wrote:
70 years old wrote:

I have heard that if you have accident and not have license you are at fault always.. but haven't seen any laws about these. also my half Vietnamese friend had also heard that but could not prove it . This "rumor" did not say anything about fatality..

I spent 1972-1974 in Japan as the US Navy's version of(mostly) a traffic cop. In the case I'm discussing both the US Navy and the Japanese Police agreed that the drunk Japanese man who had just been thrown out of the bar for drinking too much was totally at fault in the fatal accident that killed him. It was still a very expensive and horrible situation that our Sailor went through. Remember, Both the USN and the Japanese Police agreed that the Sailor was absolutely innocent. Vietnamese law isn't nearly as draconian. But, killing someone can become very nasty very quickly.

Hi. Im confused reading all the feedbacks here. Most says can't then you say its ok with the new implementation. Is there anywhere i could check on this?

http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/n … art-1.html

@ Johnny Depp SG:

This is the Vietnamese law, translated to English for your convenience:

Foreigners or Vietnamese residing overseas who wish to drive a car in Vietnam shall be required to:

- Change the license from the country of the foreigners [not IDL*] to the corresponding Vietnamese driver's license;

- [Except that**] where international treaties on driving licenses to which Vietnam is a contracting party stipulate otherwise, the provisions of such international treaties shall apply. (Paragraph 10 of Article 45)

(Circular 58/2015 / TT-BGTVT on October 20, 2015 from the Minister of Communications and Transport prescribing the training, examination and granting permission to drive a motor vehicle)"

Both * and ** are my additions to help clarify the matter.

AFAIK, that particular law is still valid as of today -- nothing has been altered.

@Truong Nguyen:  Your information was either incorrect to begin with or is no longer correct.  Please read my response to Johnny Depp SG.

@ johnny depp
I have read  via " Lonely Planet "that the International Drivng Permit is acceptable here now but you must have local insurance for it to be valid.
Otherwise I agree with Ciambella to be legal a foreigner needs to transfer their licence (bike or car)to a Vietnamese licence to stay within the law.To do this is easy and did so myself 9 months ago.The address of the office to arrange the transfer is
252 Ly Ching Thanh
District 3
.Hcmc
+84 8384 39775
It's quite difficult to find so if you are to go there PM me for directions if you wish.
You don,t need to speak Vietnamese( as stated on a previous 2013 post) to obtain  a licence or drive legally.The staff at the office speak only Vietnamese and were aware that I did not speak Vietnamese,the translation being spoken by my wife.They will take your photograph for the new licence,the cost is minimal( I cannot remember the exact amount) and I picked up the Vietnamese licence about a week after the initial visit.There is no need to use an agent if you speak Vietnamese.You will need to take your passport and existing driving documents
If you have  a driving licence then any insurance you have is valid...no driving licence...your insurance is void

Hey thanks so much buddy. Appreciate the detailed explabation. Yeah i've got my wife who could assist me with that. Thank you so much. Cheers mate.👍🏽🍺

Thanks for the info👌🏽✌🏽

Gareth Uk wrote:

@ johnny depp
I have read  via " Lonely Planet "that the International Drivng Permit is acceptable here now but you must have local insurance for it to be valid.
Otherwise I agree with Ciambella to be legal a foreigner needs to transfer their licence (bike or car)to a Vietnamese licence to stay within the law.To do this is easy and did so myself 9 months ago.The address of the office to arrange the transfer is
252 Ly Ching Thanh
District 3
.Hcmc
+84 8384 39775
It's quite difficult to find so if you are to go there PM me for directions if you wish.
You don,t need to speak Vietnamese( as stated on a previous 2013 post) to obtain  a licence or drive legally.The staff at the office speak only Vietnamese and were aware that I did not speak Vietnamese,the translation being spoken by my wife.They will take your photograph for the new licence,the cost is minimal( I cannot remember the exact amount) and I picked up the Vietnamese licence about a week after the initial visit.There is no need to use an agent if you speak Vietnamese.You will need to take your passport and existing driving documents
If you have  a driving licence then any insurance you have is valid...no driving licence...your insurance is void

Things must have changed for the better if you can do it all at the licensing centre. Before you had to get your license translated and have your documents stamped.

So just beware, before you celebrate. If you can cope with bicycles, motor cycles,  scootets, 3 wheelers,  delivery trucks   gigantic container trucks, pedestrians who must walk in middle of road, motor cyclist who may just come in opposite direction, cyclists who always forget to turn off turn signals, taxis who must beat you at lights or simply cut into your path and motorcycles with no lights at night, then welcome to the traffic here!

Not to mention incessant honking and once you get accident and you are foreigner,you are to be blamed, regardless of situation or fact!

Also do remember that there are two IDPs 1949 and 1968 and only 1968 is valid

Many countries like Australia, UK, USA and Canada etc. are not signatories to the 1968 Convention but abide by the 1949 Geneva Convention. Therefore, citizens of those countries are NOT able to drive in Vietnam with their IDPs.

@ coilinoscapee
I was very suprised ...no messing about and done at one location with translation by my wife!
@ Wald0
I assume the convention you refer to is Countries Contracting to the Convention on Road Traffic Vienna November 8 1968
I have checked " Lonely Planet " and it draws no reference to states that are excluded to the 1968 convention to which you have correctly pointed out....the article is misleading and infers an Idp is available to any nationality.
As per your post Canada ,USA and Australia did not subscribe to the convention....however the Uk was a signatory .I am a Uk citizen and the Uk Government website draws attention to the Idp being available to Uk subjects.
The Op is from Singapore ,but he cannot arrange an Idp in Singapore to use here as Singapore was not a signatory and as " Tuoi Tre News"  25/2/2016 the Vietnamese government can arrange an Idp for Vietnamese citizens and expats ( with the correct documentation and status) but the Idp issued here is not acceptable in Vietnam so this is not an option which is available to him either.