Obtaining a driving license in Vietnam

I have read about the process, which seems fairly straightforward, however it appears that you must go to an office in either Hanoi or HCMC. I live in Da Nang. Is anyone able to clarify the situation eg can it be done by post or is there an office in Da Nang?

I dont know the process for foreigners exactly, but for Vietnamese. If we want to get an License, we usually go to driving training center to get that certificate. In Da nang, I know some center.
in case, you want to change international license, you should go to Da nang department of transport in  the governmental building. if you go there, you will be consulted freely

Thank you very much. All I have to do now is find the government building - easy I am sure.

This is the instruction for your case in Vietnamese: http://www.sgtvt.danang.gov.vn/index.ph … 13&lang=vi

All you must have are: An application (you can get it at Da Nang Administration Centre); Translation of driver license into Vietnamese and notarized by notary offices or embassies, consulates in Vietnam; Photocopies of passports.

If you wish to get more advice, please come to level 1 of Da Nang Administration Centre located on Tran Phu street (near Novotel and Da Nang museum) and ask for Da Nang department of transportation.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for that very helpful answer.

What is the process if you do not have an American drivers license at all but have had one in the past? How can an American who speaks very little Tieng Viet pass the written test?

I was this morning in the Administration City Centre and they told me I need a Resident card to get a VN driving license. Im not working here so how to get?