Transfer car to Albania

Hi my friends!

I will move for work to Albania, i have a 2000cc KIA sportage of 2007 first license in Greece.

Since i move, i have the option to kill it (shell it here for 5000euro) or take it in Tirana with me.

In Greece they asked me 300 euro totally to completely delete the car (unregister) and move to another country. They will give me temporary plates to take it to Albania...

My question starts here.

How i register the car in Albania, and how i take plates? And how much will be the cost for all these???

Additionally how much money i will have to pay per month insurance etc and per year (are there any tax / fees sticker like in greece that we pay 660 euro per year?).

Last but not least... if i want to take the car out of Albania to Greece (back) or another country what is the cost to unregister from Albania?

Thank you so much!!!!

This is what I learned moving here. Keep your Greek plates until you are in the country. You cannot register a car in Albania unless you are a permanent resident. After you are here and you get your residency paperwork you can change the title. Keeping your Greek plates on the car. If you are driving the car to Albania, I would load it up with as much stuff as you can. It will be significantly easier and less expensive than shipping it. If you are shipping your car do the same and I mean pack it in. It all used or previously owned so you will not have any duty on it or the car as you have greek plates on it.
I was stuck at customs for 10 hours and that was only because I had help who had somebody they knew there to get us through the process. If not we would have had to come back the next day to clear customs. My car didn't have plates, it wound up costing us a lot to get it off the lot.

Car Insurance is about $130 US. There are agents waiting for you outside the customs gate in Durres, if you come in that way. Since you have your greek plates just use that insurance until you are ready to transfer it. It will cost you about $350 US to register and get your car inspected. I don't know how a non-resident would do that though. This is once you get your residency paperwork set up. Both of these are Annual costs. 

To date I have not gotten an Albanian Drivers license so I can't tell you about that. I do know eventually I need to get one.

I know nothing about unregistering your car anywhere in Europe, I came from the US and this is part of what my experience was like.

Good Luck - Enjoy Albania - I have been here 6 months and find it very nice.

Hi Restoreman! Thanks so much for your great help!!!
They told me that i need around 1500 euro to register the car in Albania. If its true then better i never bring it there...

How i can become permanent resident? i need to start work and have papers? and if i do this its immediately or i need to have some months there and after i have the right to do it?

The thing is because i will take really a small amount of salary (around 800-900 euro per month) i want to avoid to pay greek taxes (and in greece no work)... So i have to options. I sell my car in greece (kia sportaage model 2007, 2000cc) for 5000 euro (it really kills it this price) and i need to buy in Albania a small car (what are the costs really?), or i bring my kia in albania and use it there... These are my thoughts... If its better to bring it with me or no... If i have to spend 1500 euro to bring it +300 from Greece (delete and take out from customs) etc and i have problems there, better i buy one small there and thats it. Of course i dont know the prices there for cars..

And how can I check the price if i decide to sell it in Albania? Is there any site?

I know i Bombed you :) Thanks so much for all your help!!

* i just spoken with somebody from greece which does this (transfer licenses etc), he told me i have first to delete it, its better. The question is, is there a company or somebody who speak English in Tirana and does the same (takes cars and register) so i can find his phone and do it? I try to google "licensing / registering car albania companies" and cannot find nothing.... Can somebody help somehow?
Thank you once more!

Given the costs you're probably looking at and the salary you'll be making, I'd probably sell it & look for something locally. It's not cheap to have a car shipped and then you have to deal with all the import taxes, registration, etc. If you do want to see what it would cost, most vehicle movers will give you the cost upfront with some basic information. There's probably a lot of options, but I know this company https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-albania.php has a good reputation for knowing the ins & outs pretty well. Best of luck.