Newbie questions....help?!

Greetings,
I am currently interviewing for a role out in Lux and I wanted to know more about accommodation, transport, social life, grocery shopping.  I've never been to Lux before.

Accommodation:  What areas are reasonably priced in Lux with some bars/restaurants or a bit of community life?  How much can I expect to pay for rent and bills on a monthly basis for a 1 bed and a 2 bed?

Transport:  What areas are best suited to people working in Kirchberg?

Social Life:  What happens at the weekend?  Is there much of a going out scene?  Is there live music?  Good restaurants?  Busy bars? 

Grocery Shopping:  Are there supermarkets in the city, if so, are there many?  Are they expensive?  What about fresh produce like fruits and vegetables?  Are there health food stores?  If employer gives meal vouchers can these be used for grocery shopping?

Sorry for all the rookie questions, but like I say, I have no idea what to expect, and google maps doesn't have street view!!! 

Thanks in advance for any of your responses! 

Muchas gracias
Kieran

Hi,

Not sure where you from, but one thing I can warn you about in advance :  Luxembourg is expensive.  The sooner you accept it, the easier everything will become :)

The prices also vary quite a lot depending on which area you live in.  The areas close to the city centre such as Limpertsberg, Belair, Kirchberg and even Strassen can be more expensive than the rest.  It`s worth it to just browse the web a lot though.  Standard studio price for one person is around €900 p/m. One or two bedrooms can start around €1300 including charges but you can expect to easily pay €1500 p/m for a two bedroom.  But once again, this all depends on the area you want to stay in!
Use websites such as athome.lu and immotop.lu to browse for apartments.  If you get the apartment through an agent you will also need to pay an agency fee which is usually equal to one month`s rent.

Public transport is fantastic.  You can get anywhere from pretty much anywhere.  Lots of busses go to Kirchberg so that shouldn`t be a problem for you at all.

We have two very big supermarkets, Cora and Auchan and then smaller ones such as Cactus and Alima.  A lot of people actually drive to Trier about once a month to do cheaper grocery shopping at Aldi or Lidl.  This is totally worth it.  Fresh produce is great and there is a large variety in the larger supermarkets.

One Sunday a month, they have fresh produce markets on the Glacis and I know there is another one in the Place d`Armes area, although not sure when.

Although the costs are higher, the salaries are generally higher too.  We really enjoy living in Luxembourg because life is fairly easy and simple.

For the social life, there are many many many restaurants, bars and clubs, although not always open at times that you might expect.  There is enough to do.  The only frustrating thing is the fact that just about everything is closed on Sundays.

Hope this helps a bit.  I`m sure if you decide to come you will love it!

wow cool... very informative. I will be looking forward to the fresh produce market like farmers markets.

Hi there, there isn't much more to say, but if you are moving as a family, you can also check my blog.
expatmuminluxembourg.wordpress.com/