Hey guys! Just arrived from San Francisco!

Hello everyone! I just moved here with my partner from San Francisco. He came for his job, and I am looking for work at the moment. I have a degree in English and am TEFL certified, so ideally I would like to find work teaching English. I am fairly proficient in Spanish and am learning French, but know no German or Luxembourgish. I also have a lot of experience as an insurance investigator and in retail management.

I am seeking other expats or locals for friends and networking. I love reading, writing, politics/current events, cooking, film, and music. If anyone wants to hang out, have a drink, do some exploring, or practice French, hit me up!

Bonus: if you're local and want help/tutoring in English, I'd love to help out in exchange for tutoring in French or German.

I keep a blog if you want to check it out: http://recoveredbaptist.wordpress.com/

Hi Beardj2012!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hiya,

Regarding job offerings I would check english.monster.lu/ if you haven't already .

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion Umbre. Done.

Welcome to Luxembourg, Beardj2012! I hope you are settling in okay. If you're still looking to network, I'm up for grabbing a drink or a coffee. I moved here from NYC 18 months ago, but lived in SF for a number of years. I wonder if Lux seems as bizarre (in a good way, of course) to you as it did to me!

Thanks, Drspaulding!

I am actually surprised by how normal/ comfortable it all seems. I'm either still in the honeymoon phase, or living in both Porland, OR and San Francisco reset the bar on what "bizarre" means. :)

I'd love to have a drink some time. After living in the land of good but overpriced wine, I am amazed at how amazing and CHEAP the wine here is!

James

Hi James,
You're right - bizarre is relative! That was an unfortunate, stream-of-conscious word choice on my part. Also, it implies that I think it's unusual to see lederhosen at street festivals rather than chaps and whips!

Agreed, the wine is a wonderful change! It's nice to pay only a few euro for wine that rivals a $50 pinot. You'll love the Moselle, Alsace, etc. regions.

I am around on Thursday if you want to grab a drink. Bosso's has a good glüwein. Otherwise, let's try in January. You can email me at [email protected].

Dawn

Hey Dawn!

Thanks for getting baclk so quickly! My parents just arrived in town, and my partner and I are taking them to London and Paris for xmas and New Years. But I'd love toget together in January

Hi James,
Great, Jan. it is. Have a great time with your family! If you're looking for something to do on 1-1, in both cities there are classical concerts in historic churches and in Paris the Arc de Triomphe and the Jacquemart-André are open. In London, V&A, Churchill, and Museum of London are open and I believe the National Gallery is open (last year I walked past and saw people lined up for the Da Vinci exhibit, so I think it's open).

Thank you so much!

Hi, how was the transition? We are planning to move to Lux by mid June.

Other than the weather, no complaints. It's wonderful here, especially given all the travel opportunities.

But prepare yourself for cold, bleak winters. I lived in San Francisco and Portland, OR before--neither of which are very warm, so I thought I was prepared. I don't mind the grey skies, constant rain, or short days (Portland was a lot like that), but the cold has been a transition. It's April and still 30-40 degrees F right now.

I hear the summer (once it gets here) will be amazing, though.

you will laugh to find out where I am coming from????
currently in Doha, Qatar!!!!! middle of desert....before from sunny Florida!!!!oh well it is what it is and I must go through with it! what area did you settle down?

We settled in the Gare, a nice part though, in Lux City.

We really do love it in spite of the weather. Moving from FL or Qatar will defintely be a change for you.

Best of luck!

OK will look into Gare as well. We are trying to locate the right parts based on high schools. I have twin daughters 13 yrs old. By the way did you ever find a job? I am heavily relying on the contacts in linkedin and now trying to connect through this site to see if there are any jobs for English speaking professionals though I am sure my chances are slim!

That may indeed be tough. Finding work isn't the problem. Finding a company who will sponsor your Visa is the problem. There are already tons of British people here, who can work legally with their passports only. Americans and other non-Europeans have a more difficult time. I have a college degree and am a certified English teacher, and still have not found anything after six months.

Networking is probably key, though. So best of luck to you!

thanks Beardj. My husband is an EU citizen. According to the embassy and what I have been reading on the foreign affairs site, I should be able to acquire the right to work with no complications. I know it would not be easy. I am just doing all the fishings I can! I just know I would go out of my mind sitting out home.

Beardj2012, how is it going with the weather adjustment so far? I arrived some days ago, and it's always cold, but a negative for me, I'm from a warm country used to sun in the winter and few rain :S

It is my ONLY complaint living here, so I'm doing fine. I just arrived in November from CA, where I didn't have to worry about snow or freezing temperatures.

It's been an adjustment, but I also know the Summer will be amazing. And by next winter, I'll know what to expect and be used to it by then.

So all is well!

I am also depressed by the weather! But yesterday was great right?? I was soooo happy everything was open in town (first sunday of every month - who knew????)

Anyway I am new and looking to meet for drinks/ coffee/ chat any form of socializing ; )

Hi katthryncallow , I'm at camden town and Im gonna to move in luxembourg netx week feel free to contact me for meet ,
ps Im french girl and I live in the border of Luxembourg
xx

Hi myriam57,

Please note that this thread is a bit old... 2012:D

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team