Moving to Montreal from the US with an ADHD Child and IEP

Hi, my daughter is 9(4th grade). At the end of 5th grade, I am moving to Montreal. I am very concerned about her educational needs. She has an IEP and pulled out for Math/Writing.
I have done research online to try to figure out how the Educational System works in Quebec.
It looks like ideally, a private English School may be the solution except money is a factor.
I have researched English Public Secondary Schools and  from the information I have gathered seem limited in choices. Westmount High School is one of my top choices however the cost of apartments
in this area is a stretch. I have several questions as I am trying to sort this out.
1) Does anyone have experience with a child on an IEP with special needs in Secondary Schools. I hope to live downtown Montreal. 2) Do I have to live within the zoning area of the school district I am considering.(Westmount) I am thinking if my child could go to school in Westmount and live on the outskirts of the zoning area, I could afford it.3) Does anyone know of any good primary,secondary  public English schools with a good program for Special Needs Children? Thank you!

Welcome to Expat.com canadusa!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie

My son is in the English public school system (french immersion) and has ADHD and an IEP. Westmount High School would be the best choice but because this public school gets government funds you need to have the English certificate which is only available to children born to parents educated in English primary schools in Canada. There are no exceptions so I think your only option for an English school is to go private. My son was eligible through my husband who is Canadian. Here there is no middle school, it is combined with high school. Primary goes up to grade 6 and "high school" is grade 7 through 11. Grade 12 and the first year of college are combined into secondary schools known as CEGEP.

The English private high schools are far too expensive. The French private high schools are very reasonable and high quality, better than most of the overpriced private English schools. My son will go to a French private high school downtown (College de Montreal). We did a lot of research and this school is the best choice for him. He will have an IEP and will be closely monitored. Unlike a lot of other private schools, CdM will not kick out your kid if they do poorly - as along as the parents are on board, they will work with you. They have a special class for anglophones which is designed to bring them up to speed in french. My oldest child went through this class since her french was weak.
There are 2 good private English schools for ADHD kids that I believe do not require an English certificate (I may be wrong), Kells Academy and Centennial High school that are located just west of downtown in NDG. However they are too expensive and we want our children to be fluent in French.

If you are eligible for the English certificate, then Westmount is your best choice but you would need to live within the designated zone. However it may not be that great. My brother in the US has 2 sons with ADHD and chose to live in public school district with a good program. He cannot afford to buy a home there so he is renting. Your biggest problem will not be rent but being eligible to go to a public english school.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Hi,

Parents on "Temporary Worker" visas may also send their children to English public schools (which are in fact 50% or 80% French depending on the program, but at least the school staff speaks English.)
Our kids go to Christmas Park Elementary (we live in the suburbs, west of Montreal), and children with special needs are very nicely integrated into regular classrooms, with aids helping out as necessary. And if that does not work out (as it didn't for one of mine), the school board's "REACH" program is housed in the same building.

I know you said downtown, but with a very convenient commuter train, maybe you'll give West Island another thought :-)