Want to migrate to canada, but where should I study?

Hi guys, Im a 19 year old from singapore currently waiting enlistment in May and I've just received my A levels results in Mar.

I am interested in the prospect of migrating to Canada but I am troubled with the issue of whether I should study in a SG or Canada Uni.

For your info, I have been offered a scholarship in NTU for a place in double degree programme in Biz + Accountancy. I am concerned if I were to pursue a degree in Canada, I am unsure if I can get any scholarships. Furthermore, the tuition fees + living expenses may be too much for my family to handle. You can consider me to be from a middle-income family.

On the other hand, I know that studying in a Canadian Uni will give me exposure to the "Canadian Experience" and upon graduation, I would be eligible for a 3 year permit to work there. That is definitely a big plus for me if I want to migrate there right?

So the opportunity costs are definitely really high, but I really want to migrate to Canada. But pls advise me with regards to my situation. Thanks alot!! :)

Considering that paying international fees will be quite an expense to your parents, it looks like your only option is to go with the NTU accountancy degree on scholarship. Do not count on getting a Canadian scholarship as I have not come across any.

You have two years to decide while you're doing your NS. In the meantime, accept NTU's offer which will secure you a place. After you ORD, you can start at NTU and if you are still keen on Canada, you can transfer your 'A' Level and any completed NTU credits to a Canadian university. Fewer years spent studying in Canada means savings in international fees and living expenses. If you complete your course in NTU, you can then decide whether to join the workforce, or you may want to advance to a a post-grad degree in Canada.

As a fresh grad from NTU, your odds of being offered a job prior to graduating is high, as long as you're not fussy about the offers. You can earn and save money for a post-grad, or apply for skill-based emigration to Canada. Keep update on CIC's skills list to see if your line of work is in demand in Canada. The list of skills changes year to year.

The only reason for you to want to start an undergrad degree right after ORD and paying international fees is if your parents support you moving to Canada sooner rather than later, or ever. Bear in mind that your parents may not be able to join you on your Canadian PR under the parent reunion. Instead they will be granted the super visa for 10 years without the full benefits of PR, such as having their own health insurance coverage.

If you do decide to study in Canada, one suggestion to keep expenses down is to live off-campus on your own. It is cheaper to rent, drive, insure and park outside of the major popular cities. There are many equally good universities that don't show up in world ranking exercises that the locals and PRs go to with few international students.

Lastly, does your parents qualify and would they consider putting in their own application while you are doing your NS? Having a reference family member resident to support your immigration application helps. Having parents already there to live with them helps too.