Moving to canada

hi,
Am Eva from Kenya in Africa.I have just been offered a job by Walmart stores in Mississauga.I dont know anything about the country and the people. Would a salary of six thousand be adequate for me to make it there?(they are providing accomodation).I would greatly appreciate any information.
Thanx.

No way in heaven or earth is a salary of six thousand going to be enough.  Normally salaries are stated for the year, and you won't last 3 months on that.  Be careful of what the accomodation is too, they do not normally provide any accomodation at all for any employees...that sounds very strange.  If it is $6000 per month that would be lots and lots and lots....but I would find out a lot more information. 

Please feel free to send any other questions on should you have them.

I'd be very careful with that job offer. I agree with Oreneta, $6000 per year even with accommodation (and what kind of accommodation is it?) is ridiculously low. Even with the reputation that Walmart has for treating its employees like crap, that seems very suspicious. I'd make sure you really are dealing with Walmart.

Check out payscales in Canada--if you click on general hourly rates, you'll see that even with a minimum wage job, you'd be making more a year than $6000 based on a 40 hour work week.

http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/All … eys/Salary

Thanks for the information. The 6000 dollar offer is on a monthly basis plus they said with other benefits. Dont they usually offer accomodation? The benefits include health,insurance,child care,8wk monthly leave,processing of visa for my family etc.Is it worth it?

Well that sounds like a much better expat package than what I had assumed--I thought you meant yearly.  If it's monthly, then definitely more than a liveable wage.  Ask for dental insurance. Health insurance is basically free ( via tax dollars) in Canada once you get your health card--should be able to get it after 3 months--but double check.

If you live in Mississauga, you'll probably need a car--if they are giving you such a package, maybe they can include that too or a loan to get one.

There's a cost of living section on Canada in this forum--check out the cost of living in Toronto (Mississauga is a suburb of TO)

That is a very livable package...again be careful with the accomodation...bits of mississauga are quite remote from public transit...also this is usually gross pay, which can be reduced by at least a third or more before it gets into your pockets, so ask some careful questions about the taxes and deductions that you will be subject too before you make any commitments like car leases or loans...

It does sound much better...is Mississauga where their head office is?

oreneta wrote:

It does sound much better...is Mississauga where their head office is?

Yes, the head office of Wall-Mart for Canada is in Mississauga

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storel … ?lang=null

Evelyn, a very good source of information for your settlement in Ontario

http://www.settlement.org/index.asp

Mississauga's website

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/home

(I lived there for two months and my bus passed every day in front of the head office of wall-mart ;)

Hi saintmimi,ive been on the web trying to find out more about walmart.Everything ive read appears to be on the negative side.Very few people have something good to say.Esp on how they treat thier employees. Having lived there could you tell me anything abt them? En 6000$ for a customer service represetative is it what they usually pay?

NO!  $6000 for a  customer service rep?  That sounds wacked, it seems way too high for the title.....what exactly would your reponsiblilites be? 

Again is this gross or net pay, there is a very big difference in the amount of money you will have in your pocket at the end of the day.  Is this salary dependent on the amount of sales you make?

Keep looking.  They do have a bad rep.

Hello guys. Beware of fly-by-night jobs. Sales Rep can mean anything from door to door Sales Person to those annoying late night Telephone Sales calls.  Make sure it's a full time job as in 35 plus hours per week and not a part time/full time job under 33 hours per week. The first carries benefits, the second rarely does. Verify Renumerations, lenght of job contract  etc. prior to arrival