My experience in Cyprus

I am an executive chef with over 30 years experience on many continents. Co-owner and executive chef of a Michelin star restaurant in the Caribbean. Former chef to Sir Elton John and executive chef to several five star hotels. My last position before moving to Cyprus was as group executive chef for a major restaurant group in South Africa comprising 30 Mediterranean restaurants.I was approached by the owners of a new restaurant in Limassol, to move to Cyprus and take up the position of executive chef. I jumped at the opportunity particularly in view of the fact that I purchased an apartment in Paphos some years ago while on vacation but never considered being offered employment on the island.
I initially came over on my own in June 2012, leaving my wife behind in Cape Town. This for the reason that our two Siamese cats were not allowed to travel until three months after their EU required blood tests. My wife and cats have since joined me and we are all blissfully happy in Cyprus.
The restaurant "Viva la Vida" opened in October 2012 and soon rocketed to the top of the Trip Advisor website.
Most unfortunately, we now share the concerns of all those on the island regarding the future and the viability of the project in view of the crisis. Will people be able to afford to eat out?

Hi patrick152!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for the introduction.

Regards
Armand

Hi Patrick

I found your experience of Cyprus interesting. We attented a talk about buying property in Cyprus (Paphos) in order to eventually gain citizenship. I am browsing the internet to try and find as much info as possible.  Like many South Africans we are concerned about the future here.  Do you have an opinion?  I have heard and read about the economic crisis. From the talk that we have been to, it does not look as if the situation has affected tourism much.  Do you think the discovery of the earth gas will have a positive affect on the economy?

Regards

Martie (Stellenbosch)