Where to live in Brussels with a 1 year old baby & wife

Hello!

I'm relocating to Brussels with my family.

I will work in Zaventem area and I'm looking for a nice place to live not very far from my office...

I have read in some websites that Ixelles and woluwe Saint Lambert are nice places...but I really need much more information....any advice?

Thanks!

Welcome to Expat.com santireyes79!;)

Harmonie.

Look on google maps. Ixelles to Zaventem is a crazy idea and why on earth Ixelles? Very difficult to find school places, difficult to park, a long way to Zaventem.

How about living in Zaventem?

Thanks for replying!

I friend of mine is living in Ixelles...but if it's a long long way driving...It's not a good option...How much does it take from Ixelles to Zaventem by car?

What's about woluwe saint Lambert?

Try using google maps to find out THEORETICAL travel times.

If you lived in Zaventem, you could walk to work or cycle, why drive?

Why WSL? There are still closer places than that to Zaventem. But Zaventem is a big municipality, so without knowing the exact address, it's a bit pointless suggesting anywhere else.

Language is a big big consideration, you want to live in a French or Dutch majority area? Can you speak any French or Dutch - that could rule out or in certain areas?

Probably a French majority area will be better for us.

I have checked the commuting time from Ixelles to my office...from 15 to 19 minutes depending on the route.

My main concern is to find a place where my wife has everything close (supermarkets, schools, restaurants, services...), Is that possible in Zaventem? inside Zaventem any particular area?

Where in Zaventem is your office? I can't comment on a real travel time without knowing where you office is.  Tell me the address and I'll tell you where there is a French area with what you want (in fact all areas have supermarkets and schools though).

PS really forget the Ixelles idea unless you want to give yourself the hardest time with looking for a school. There is no way even the nearest area of Ixelles is 20 minutes in rush hours to Zaventem, double that time if you're going by car, public transport might be cheaper.

If your work is in the Sint-Stevens-Woluwe area of Zaventem, then Evere might be convenient for you, lots of new apartments around there, or the Marcel Thiry area of WSL or Kraainem (it's in Flanders but 80% French speaking). If your work is Nossegem side of Zaventem, then Wezembeek-Oppem is nearest (again Flanders but 80% French). WSP is also not far from Zaventem.

But ultimately your budget and type of housing might determine where you live.

Thanks a lot for the info!!! really useful!