Newbie in HCMC, looking for awesome food places, any recommendation?

Hi all,

I've just moved to HCMC from Indonesia last month. My bf and I are foodies. We're hoping to find a good Thai restaurant. We've tried Coriander and couple other places but it wasn't that great. We've heard Golden Elephant is really good but we have a hard time finding the location.
Any other recommendation or how to get there if you've been?
Also, any must try food places or if you want to explore food together. Let me know :-) I appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!

The best places to enjoy authentic Viet food are not them big fancy restaurants. They do have nice food, but not the best.

Food heres a nightmare for me lol worst thing about the place, some of the shit they eat oh man but of course I respect the culture but some things are so alien and disgusting to me im afraid. But with that said I dont go to many expensive restaurants, food in district one generally is ok but you go to cambodia and the food is excellent compared to here, western food not the local crap lol I dont undersstand the hype around pho, its boring though its ok. Dont mean to offend anyone but with that said some of the best food ive ever eaten in my life was vietnamese food cooked by vietnamese at home, which confuses me because so many people cook amazing food at home yet its so difficult to find that great quality out and about. :S

Punjabi does decent indian food on bui vien, always good. Baba's on bui vien is always far too spicey for me, they put loads of chilli in there spinach and paneer dish, ive never had spicy spinach and paneer. I said to him before mild as before it was far too spicy and everything came out too spicy again for me, gave us some yoghurt to mask the taste, but wont be going back. Good indian on le thanh ton forget the name, theres two and i tried one and it was excellent.

I had an excellent chicken kebab last night in a turkish place called pasha on 25 dong du, all the food looked really good and definately an area ill check more of for food. So there are good places to be found but ime their in the minority.

Broomptish wrote:

Dont mean to offend anyone but with that said some of the best food ive ever eaten in my life was vietnamese food cooked by vietnamese at home, which confuses me because so many people cook amazing food at home yet its so difficult to find that great quality out and about. :S

True!

Thanks for the info. I love pho, I know the best pho and pork chops place in town, it's in district 3 and 5. I can find out the names if anyone interested.

Thai Baan in Thao Dien, District 2 is excellent. Owner and cook are from Thailand.

I had Golden Elephant before, and didnt bother going back; didn't get the hype.

Coriander on Bien Vien wasn't authentic enough. Seemed more of a fusion of Vietnamese and Thai.

try to enjoy more Viet food when you are here ;), by the way have you ever enjoy the "Con ga trong restaurant" in Dist 10 ? it`s Khomeh`s restaurant... i love that place

I went to Thai Baan the other day, it was great! Thank you!!

There is a Thai literally Thai restaurant (with Thai chef) in Tan Binh District call Thai House nearby Airport, very good restaurant with yummy foods i would say. You may come there to enjoy if you dont mind distance. Cheers

You should try Koh Thai restaurant or Lac Thai
http://www.kohthai.com.vn/http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant … _City.html