Living in Sandnes/Stavanger

Hi there, my name is Ben.

I will be moving to Sandnes to be with my fiancee who is Norwegian in 4-5 months time and was wondering if anyone had any tips for an Aussie in Sandnes/Stavanger.

Cheers,

Ben

i Ben,

My name is Sarah. I moved to Stavanger from Glasgow in October 2008. Best move i could have made!

There is a bar called Yanks in Stavanger Sentrum. Its completely staffed by Aussies and has really good live music. Thats where we go when in stavanger for beer. Would make you feel right at home.

Otherwise I feel this place should be pretty easy for an Aussie to get used to. Lots of outdoor sports and laid back attitude to life in general.

Its good that ur moving in summer time, coz i think the winter would be pretty harsh for you. We've had snow on the ground for over a month now. So better that you get settled whilst the weather is nice, then you can prepare yourself for the winter.

All the best anyways, and hope you enjoy Norway!

Its a great place to live!

Hello,

I've been living in Haugesund just to the North of Stavanger (albeit across a fjord) for 2 years now. I visited Stavanger for the first time last summer. It looked really nice but there didn't seem to be many people (quite common in Norway I suppose). Perhaps there was some reason which I didn't know about.

I also found it difficult to find vegetarian food in the restaurants there (also a common problem). On the other hand, it gave me something to complain about which I like to do.

None of this is advice or in any way helpful but I like giving my opinion anyway.

Hope the move goes well,

David

Hi Ben,

I moved to Stavanger in summer 2008, like Sarah the best move I have made.  Nice and close to home Scotland, but I like to spend my free time here as I now have family and lots of good friends here.

Most people speak english so there is not much of a language barrier but I would recommend trying to learn norwegian, people like it if you try to make an effort.  The standard of living is great and you will get used to the higher prices after a while if you are taking in a norwegian salary.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Neal

From what I gather it can be a bit of a touchy subject to refer to Sandnes as part of Stavanger. They are separate 'cities'. Of course, to anyone from outside Norway this seems like madness.

Hi,

I am planning to move to Stavanager. I wonder if some one could provide me with the cost of a single bedroom flat. Also how to find the availability? Is there any website where I can look for it?

Regards,

Chinnu

Hi Chinnu,

The best place to look for listings is:

finn.no/finn/realestate/lettings/result?areaId=20196

The price will depend on the quality of the flat and the location.

Good luck,

David

Hi Chinnu,

Check out this article: stavangerexpats.com/renting-a-house-in-stavanger

This has a great overview of how to go about renting in Stavanger as well as good tips. The site is also a great way to meet other expats and get involved when you arrive!

dmcart13 wrote:

From what I gather it can be a bit of a touchy subject to refer to Sandnes as part of Stavanger. They are separate 'cities'. Of course, to anyone from outside Norway this seems like madness.

Well, they have their own syttende mai parades, so that constitutes a unique identify for each, I'd say.

Hei Ben

I'm a Canuck who moved here after 13 years in Scotland.  As a fellow colonial i expect you will feel both soothing similarities (Big environment/small people) and jarring differences (a somewhat reserved culture, way more rules about things...)   All in all, though, i must say that after Scotland (which i loved!) moving here was a bit like moving closer to home.   I have a blog in which i have been posting some reflections about life here -- www.rhysmhor.tumblr.com   and write an occasional series of Letters from Norway for the Scottish Rural Network -- http://www.ruralgateway.org.uk/en/node/2842   Am definitely learning to love this place.

As i've only been here four months, am keen to meet new folk, and especially in Sandnes, so if your interest is peaked, let me know and we could meet up for a jar!

cheers
rhys

IF you are looking for events in the Stavanger Area, Check out this link
stavangerexpats.com/events/calendar

You can also propose your own events on Expat.com :) (in a new thread)

Hi all,

i am looking for room, flat in stavanger or sandnes.
If someone could help, please contact me . Email
[email protected]

Hello venecija.

You should post an advert in the housing in Stavanger section. It might help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi.
My name is Paul and I just moved in Sandnes. I would like to meet new people and to socialize. How wants to chat with me and share new experience in life?