Vivre au Gabon

Bonjour,

J'ai la possibilité de partir travailler et m'installer au Gabon.
Deux possibilités s'offrent à moi : Libreville et Port-Gentil.
Pour m'aider à choisir, je cherche des informations pour comparer ces 2 villes au niveau de :
- activités
- infrastructures pour la santé
- cout de la vie
- produits disponible (alimentation, electro, ...) - prix
- ambiance

Merci de m'éclairer.

Hi Canto,

In my opinion, the two is offering different packages. Well, my stayed in Gabon was too short, but what I can be sure Port Gentil is less hectic than Libreville. It is more calma and if you know how to manouvre the place, life is "ok".  In terms of insfrastructure, Libreville is more advanced than Port Gentil and in terms of prix, not much different and basically price of goods in Gabon is in Euro if not in dollar.

Good Luck !:cheers:

Thanks for your answer.

I have now a new question concerning malaria prevention. One doctor advise me Malarone,  another one Doxycycline.

Which one do you consider the most efficient and with less inconvenients ?

Thanks again.

Port Gentil is sleepy sleepy and dominated by oil workers.  Libreville has more going on / more of a city.  Depends on your life situation - maybe married with kids in Port Gentil (golf, beaches) and single in Libreville (discos, larger community, more vibrant).

Malarone is just too harsh - I told my doctor I would be taking it and he said, "Oh, be sure to come back in one year so I can check for macular (eye) degeneration'!  I took some sort of malaria pill for about a week after arriving in Gabon, then stopped.  I was there for 15 months ++ without taking any medication - no one who lives there long term does.  The risks of getting malaria are outweighed by the risks of taking that type of medication long term.

If you're going for a short term, either is fine.

Thanks Orchid for your answer.
Where do you live in Gabon : Libreville or Port-Gentil ?

Now concerning Gabon Airlines, can you tell me if it is a safe company (maintenance, pilotes, ...). Same as Air France. Because it's cheaper and my company would like to make me travel by this.

Thx.