Hello

hi I'm from the USA and I love the DOM-REP....I'm looking to connect with expats and others who live there.I'm thinking seriously about purchasing an apartment there.

My wife and I moved here full time 7 years ago from Colorado.  Where are you considering moving to?

Bob K

so far,I've been staying in Santiago the most-with Puerto Plata a close second.I'd like an apartment in one of these 2 places....but i'm still open for ideas about other good places to live there as well.I don't like fast lane places very much(for living) like sosua,boca chica,and i'm not sure about santo domingo either....where do u live in the dom-rep? do u love to live there?

We live in a villa we built on the hillside overlooking the ocean between Sosua and Cabarete.  We have been here for nearly 7 years and have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

i've driven many times from sosua to cabarete,and sometimes rio san juan.Its a beautiful, scenic spacious drive.Do you know much about investments in the DOM-REP? what their rules for foreign investment and ownership are? what do you like best about living in the DOM-REP? and your villa location?

There are all sorts of investmnent oppertunities here but be very careful before you part with any money. No problems for foreigen investors or owners but there are some tax laws that need to be followed and when setting up make sure you are using a quality Dominican lawyer.
We came for the "relaxed lifestyle"haveing enough of the rat race in the US. Living here has a whole new set of experiences and can be fustrating at times but you learn to adjust. As to our location it is perfect to us with beaches just minutes away. Santigo just over an hour, and a 4 hour bus ride when we need to get to Santo Domingo. We also have a large expat community here on the north coast and a fairly good infrastucture.
What kind of investment are you looking at?

BObK

I'm also tired of the USA "rat race".I don't want to age living life at a frantic rat-race pace.I've visited the DOM-REP 3-5 times a year for the last 3 years and I love it. I don't know what to invest in yet, because I need to know a lot more about the financial side of this country as well as what do Dominicans love to spend their money on.but I do want to ultimately invest in something there.

It sounds like you are doing it correctly. Going slow and seeking information before acting, a good way to do things here. Good luck

Bob K

thanks a lot.what do u think are good investments here? And can you refer me to meet other ex-pats living in the DOM-REP?

I would never give someone advice on investments. So sorry can't help there.
As to meeting expats you will find them in the community you live in, restaurants in town, bankk and such.  Not hard to meet other expats here.
If you were to move to Santo Domingo there is a pretty large group there with thier own web site.

BObK

ok thanks....i'll certainly throw santo domingo into my next visit to the DOM-REP

rawromantic wrote:

ok thanks....i'll certainly throw santo domingo into my next visit to the DOM-REP

I am an expat in Santo Domingo,  I spent 7 years on the north coast and now 2 years in the capital.  I will be happy to show you around the capital! I love it but it is not for everyone. 

In my previous life I was a financial planner and will be happy to give you some information about investments etc here. 

First thing to really understand - don't buy real estate of any kind until you know the area really well. It is almost impossible to flip a purchase. I know individuals trying to sell houses for the past 4 years in Puerto Plata!  not easy.

If there is anything I can do to help you,  just ask.