Living in Guayaquil?

My wife and I are thinking of living in Guayaquil for a few months while traveling around Ecuador.  What areas of Guayaquil will be good to live in (safe, good markets, etc..) and how can I find an apartment?  Are there any other cities with warm climate that you can recommend and why?

Hello The_Bully.

Concerning the apartment, you could post an advert in the Housing in Guayaquil section. It can be useful. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hi,   Just about everywhere in Ecuador is warm.   Guyaquil is a larger city, and is a port city.   Some people like it, but it was very busy for us!  Many people also have stated that it is less safe than other areas.  I am not sure of this, as we were only there for a few days.   We stayed in Manta, which was big enough for us.   We liked the coastal areas best for weather, vs inland areas, but it depends on what you are looking for.    Salinas was nice, pretty hot, and very busy.  Going North from there, we went clear up to Rio Verde.  We did not like Esmeraldas or Pedernales very much.   I think weather wise we liked the area near Jama the best.    We also liked San Clemente and Bahia.    I know that there are several different developments going in along the coast.  One near Bahia, and another up near Jama.      Well, hope you have a great time visiting.

I would say definitely Manta, it is your best bet. Large city with lots to do, by the ocean, warm weather, more humid than Salinas.
In Guayaquil the best places to live: Urdesa, Kennedy Norte, Los Ceibos and the high end area of Samborondon. Lots to do, great restaurants, good markets, and malls. Everything you can find in advanced cities. They are the safest area within Guayaquil. However, I have been to Guayaquil several time, never had a problem. Course not flashing jewelry or valuables when I go.
Apartments are on different prices in those areas, you can get decent housing for anything between US$50K to US$ 200K.