Rentals wanted in different locations

My wife and I arrive in Guayaquil on 6th Dec and staying in Equador for 3 months in anticipation of retiring there.

We are hoping to find an apartment, casita, homestay or similar at monthly rate. We plan to stay in Guayaquil for the month of December, then Cuenca for January. February we have not yet planned and are open to suggestions.

We are currently in Panama and not enjoying the sanitary environment of hotel rooms. We assume a change of accommodation will help us meet people and learn about life in your country.

If you have or know of suitable accommodation please reply.
If you have suggestions for better locations please reply.

Thanks.

les64 wrote:

My wife and I arrive in Guayaquil on 6th Dec and staying in Equador for 3 months...

We plan to stay in Guayaquil for the month of December, then Cuenca for January. February we have not yet planned and are open to suggestions....

If you have suggestions for better locations please reply.

One month in Guayaquil !  Reconsider.  A day and a half would be more like it.

Ecuador's largest city is hot, humid and dangerous.

It's not even at the beach -- but 90 minutes away.

December is a wonderful time to be in Quito in this mostly-Catholic country.

As long as you're arriving in GYE, a gateway to the Pacific Ocean communities, you could visit Salinas and Bahía de Caráquez or some of the quaint "Puerto" fishing villages .. then shoot over to Quito for a while .. before your visit to Cuenca.

There is no 'q' in Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

Reading between the lines, Les, it seems like you're out of Cambodia for good .. and would like to make a fairly seamless transition from your 90-day visa on arrival in Ecuador, into a longer-term rental situation in what you determine is a good place for you and your wife.

That could mean problems after the first 90 days if you don't have a visa strategy.

Do you?

If not, you should be able to get a non-immigrant visa extension for 180 days, covering you for 270 days in all, or about nine months.  And what then?

cccmedia in Quito

Senor les64, firstly, ignore Senor Elvis frequent negative remarks about Guayaquil…….it may come as a surprise, but there are some of us who like living here…….hot and humid, sometimes, well mostly……but not a surprise, some of us, prefer it that way……crime is everywhere……and yes, it is worse here, BUT it is possible to live here and minimize risks…..
With every place, there is good, and bad……we just need to choose what is best for us….
Playas is the closest beach, about an hour distant….Salinas areas, a little more at 90 minutes or so….
The best areas to seek housing are Urdesa, Via la Costa, Samborodon…..although some others may be OK as well…..
OLX is a place to search:  http://www.olx.com.ec

Hello,
Yes we want to be out of Cambodia, used to be a OK place but now its gone down hill fast and getting worse. Crime, pollution, in your face corruption from city police, all government agencies, border police, constant rip-offs.  Could go on and on.

Anyway yes we do want to relocate to Ecuador, our review of Panama has been disappointing.
We anticipate learning everything we can during our stay in Equador then assuming it's a good fit we would return to Cambodia and part with everything and come back for good.
Regarding visa, we have already contacted an attorney in Cuenca and getting an understanding all of the documentation we will to return with.

Thank you all for any guidance.

Hi AMDG,
Thank you for very much for you input.
We will look at the maps and take you your advice.

Any additional input from other readers would be very welcome.

Regards

Visa Requirements as per the consulate in DC
http://www.ecuador.org/nuevosite/servic … isas_e.php

AMDG wrote:

Playas is the closest beach (to Guayaquil), about an hour distant.... Salinas areas, a little more at 90 minutes or so.

When you head to the coast, Salinas is the better choice.

The fishing village of Playas is "infamous" for being plagued by pelicans and frigate birds drawn to the day's catch as fleets of fishing vessels return to shore.  These birds prey around the area seeking "loose scraps and leftovers."

source:  www.thebestofecuador.com

cccmedia in Quito

Senor Elvis, true enough about the birds……..and yet, there is something charming about Playas and amazingly, or not, you can avoid the birds as they have a routine around the fishermen…….
As with everyplace, there is good, and bad and a smart person seeks info, as so many on this forum have, and to weigh the good and bad and decide……….

Vaya con Dios, y viva Christo Rey

What is the bus system like on the coast? Is it possible to live in those smaller fishing towns without a vehicle... And still get to Salinas, La Libertad, etc. without much trouble?

I wouldn't stay in Guayaquil for a month!  I'd head to Salinas beach....and travel the coast going north.  You'll love it!!..
Arrive back in Guayaquil in time to take the bus over the Andes to Cuenca!  A trip you will nevr forget! The bus costs $8 and takes about 4 hours.

Take a look on your maps  around Canoa, if you decide to go there let me know I can hook you up with some rentals.

Bus system is great.  You can go anywhere!!!

Hi Crestwood,
I think it very likely that we will be coming to Canoa area.
We are going to take the advice of previous posts and visit Guayaquil but not stay long then head along the coast.
We anticipate being in the area mid December (probably 13/14/15 Dec).
I will be in touch by PM.
Thanks

les64 wrote:

Hi Crestwood,
I think it very likely that we will be coming to Canoa area.
We are going to take the advice of previous posts and visit Guayaquil but not stay long then head along the coast.
We anticipate being in the area mid December (probably 13/14/15 Dec).
I will be in touch by PM.
Thanks

I have visited Guayaquil about 4 times and each time I have found it a place that has a huge amount of vehicle traffic and very dirty (at least in the areas around where the large malls are). The road into the Guayaquil (coming from Cuenca) is always littered with garbage (at least it has been on every visit so far). I am always glad to leave the place.

In comparison, Cuenca is much more beautiful and clean. Sorry, but that is that way I see it.

Quito is also a very nice city but much bigger than Cuenca. I have enjoyed our few visits. It is also quite a clean city.