Car Tax exemption for imported cars

I have read the whole topic and yet I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

We have Maltese ID cards and want to bring our car into Malta. Can we be given exemption if we apply for it within 20 days after arrival of the car?

Thanks.

Only if you have owned the car in your name for two years before you enter Malta as a resident. If you have lived in Malta as a resident during the last two years then you will not get exemption.

Terry

It depends on the circumstances with regard to your ID card.
When you  applied for the ID card you should also have obtained your residency certificate.

Terry

Having an ID card makes it less likely you will qualify. When you applied for your ID card you signed a declaration that you were resident in Malta. When did you get your ID card, and where have you been resident for the last two years ?

We lived in the Czech Republic before arriving to Malta in January 2013. We applied for I.D. cars but we only have temporary cards (those A4 papers), not the small cards yet if you know what I mean. We have been owners of the car for more than 2 years.

Thanks for your replies.

Jitka

http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa … 092743.pdf

"A vehicle is to be declared for exemption not earlier than two months before the date on which applicant becomes normally resident in Malta and not later then twelve months following that date. "

"A vehicle that has already arrived in Malta, the application has to be made by the person transferring his residence within 30 days
from the arrival of the vehicle in Malta. "

The car is not here yet so that is not a problem. So it means we can apply for exemption, jupi!!

Thanks a lot.

Of coure there is always the option not to come to Malta and save yourself from finding out what a bad idea this is (unless if you are a pentioner)

janagn wrote:

Of coure there is always the option not to come to Malta and save yourself from finding out what a bad idea this is (unless if you are a pentioner)

My word! You are a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

Why does it depend upon being a pensioner or not?

It's attitude not age that makes or breaks.

Being a pentioner is not related to age. Rather it is a life style. Relax and take things less peronally, I am not referring to you ;)

janagn wrote:

Being a pentioner is not related to age. Rather it is a life style. Relax and take things less peronally, I am not referring to you ;)

I don't take what you state peronally (sic) at all, why would I?
Rather, I was thinking of others on this site as your post didn't make any sense.
I also stated that being a pentioner (sic) was a matter of attitude.
Give your ego a rest.

Thank you for stating the obvious and realising that your initial response was out of context. I would also sugget to stop assume what other think and speak for yourself :)

janagn wrote:

Thank you for stating the obvious and realising that your initial response was out of context. I would also sugget to stop assume what other think and speak for yourself :)

:lol::lol::lol: