I Read About so many stolen Motorcyles

If you made the investment and its paid for or you're still paying for it, Why not buy a motorcycle alarm?? Don't they sell them in PP?

They are cheap compared to the cost of the motorcycle. Even if they forcefully take it away from you, you can use the remote to activate the alarm as they drive away.

A google search will provide more info. Cost from $30.00+

There is not that kind of thing there yet

Better to keep it inside at night, if you can,or buy a big chain and lock, lock both wheels to a pole.

But you can order them and pay with your credit card. I buy a lot of things from aliexpress. They ship to you china mail , registered. If you go to their website looking for any items, make sure to put a check mark on free shipping, sells one item and Cambodia as the country you want it sent to. Just like eBay, check the comments buyers have posted of the sellers .

this link will show you the moto alarms with free shipping sent to Cambodia.

theres a problem with importing stuff  to Cambodia . i.e  anything bought from ebay is considered imported good. i've heard cases where the post simply refuses to give u the good u ordered  for from the net

Oh Well then option C is having someone buy it and bring it to you when they go to PP. They even sell them here is Manila and Cebu City. Thats new to me, I have never read that issue in any forum so far. Any long time resident  want to enlighten all of us on this issue?

i havn't tested it myself but i have  been told by others who tried  to buy stuff from amazon N ebay N i also read it  in other people's testimony on a different site

Well I researched and they said if its registered mail, they can't really refuse to give it to you. And aliexpress will not pay your seller until you confirm delivery, so if they do refuse to give it to you, you will get reimbursed. In situation like this, I just ask where is the office of the postmaster or the top management figure in the post office. And I ask why I can't get my package.

And don't you think aliexpress would take Cambodia out of the list of countries they ship to, if getting packages there was a hassle or a problem?

yes, if it's a registered mail as in someone's personal address and name on the package then they will give it to you .

.. i'm sorry im not a manager at aliexpress to be able to comment on their marketing strategy

Aaliyah01 wrote:

.. i'm sorry im not a manager at aliexpress to be able to comment on their marketing strategy

I'm sure we are all aware of that. Thats why we should try to be sure we post comments and opinions that we are knowledgeable about.

you can find alarms in many motorbikes shops in Cambodia.... cost is from 25$ (i don t recommand this one, just a piece of sh..), there is a model for 99$ that you can find. Chinese product but works very well.. you can even stop the engine remotely... just saying... and for the expensive bikes there is a model for 700$ which can locate your bike all over the world...
Or to complete a basic alarm, when you go out at night, buy a cheap android phone that you stick under the sit, don t forget to set up a free software like "find my android", when the bike get stolen, you will be able to locate it...
If you cannot find any place where to buy an alarm send me a pm... I can help you....

Huh? Its seems that one will lose a phone and a bike instead of just the bike. Makes the thief happier.

depends how long it takes you to react.... but of course if you are drunk reaction is longer...

Its not just the reaction time. Its also the 'discovery' time. One can only react when one discover the bike is stolen. If one didn't realise that the bike is stolen say 1 hour later, one can only react 1 hour later no matter how awake or how drunk you are.

right... then stick the phone where it is difficult to find it... think a bit, if you piut it under the sit or better ON the sit then you lose all, but with some idea (just think that on a "scooter" there are many places where to hide it... and as i am sure that i need to tell everything, when you need to charge the phone (2-3 days stand by) then if you put the usb cable ready to plug you don t have to take the phone out everytimes...

But maybe Teddylim has some idea... ????

Doesn't tracking a cellphone give you just the closest cell transmitting tower? Not the exact location your cell is at? If so, good luck finding your moto. Best would be a alarm that disables the motor in 3 to 5 minutes if its not started by the owner.

yes and yes..... THe cell phone complete the alarm... but you know, the thieves won t start the engine before being far away, they push the bike for a while (i experienced it once, no alarm but my cell phone (samsung Note) was under the seat (not by security, just left it there during i was having lunch)... never had my bike back, but the phone yes because of the locator, 3 weeks after...gives you the location at 20 to 50mtrs, then you can make your phone ringing... gives you more chance to refind it.. and one thing, if you have settled your android properly, the system sends you a sms if the phone moves...
I am not really sur if i am clear, but english is not my mother tongue.... :)

and alarms disable motors at anytime untill you unlock it.... impossible to start the engine... and normally when the alarm goes on it supposes to get the thief away from your bike...

paha, may i comment? im total ignorant in regard to cambodian bike thieves, but i know quite a bunch about thieves and thievery.

there are petty thieves and pro thieves. if u own some amazing piece of a bike and one gives order for that to be stolen, u can have on it whatever extraterrestrial alarm system and/or phone glued on it, u will never see it again. cause pro gangs will get the job done no matter what. petty thieves on the contrary are the type that avoid work, thats why they became thieves, they dont want to work. so they will not put much effort in their daily robbing activities. any inconvenient in their way, will go to the next bike.

now, thierrysavoie story about bike baffled me as i find it almost unbelievable. find the phone attached to bike because of locator? the first thing one does when finds a phone is take out the battery and throw away the simcard. no locator can help. android phones with no removal battery are taken on the spot to some guy with bit of knowledge and software is reset instantly, imei changed and goodbye finding your phone.

but again, im new to cambodia, maybe here thieves are different, maybe they dont know much about phones, maybe no smart phone cracking guys, dunno.

imo, if i would have a very good bike with a very good alarm and android locator phone on it, im not sure i will want to check the locator once the bike is gone. might found myself in a risky situation. first i will grab some guns, lots of ammo and some expendable friends, then i would open that locator thingy and go find it. :)

An android cell has apps that will send you an email every time the stolen cell changes SIM cards and gives you the new cell number. With that you can do a ruse and ask to be text mate or any other excuse to get their address or set up a meeting place.

apps that will do this and that... pahaha, kidding me, phnom penh bound

mate, android phones, i KNOW. bikes, i dont. give me an adroid phone and in 5 minutes it will look like no one ever installed any piece of software on it. software-wise, even the manufacturer will deny he ever built it :P

Dorian293, phnom penh bound is 1/2 right, even if you reset totaly the android, the phone doesn t send you sms anymore, but you can still locate it on google maps, and overall the very first time you will turn it on, it will send you an email with all the infos of the new user (phone number, dialed number... and actually it on this discussion it is not question of android stolen but motorbike, so if the phone is hidden somewhere on the bike it takes time for the thief to discover it. then you have time to locate the area where your bike is... then you make the phone ringing and have more chances to refind both... just saying

Getting the cell phone to act as finder for lost bike is interesting.

Its more about the reliability of the cell phone, network and having the cell phone charged. Its a bit of hassle to charge it.

One can also get ten, twenty different locks and alarm to install on the bike to prevent it from being stolen but its the hassle of doing so. I think the thief may abandon the thought of stealing it just looking at the number of locks/alarm one need to break:P I don't own a expensive bike worth so much time and effort.

Then its about the part of getting back the bike once we locate it and may end up in a sticky situation. May consider dorian293 suggestion

dorian293 wrote:

first i will grab some guns, lots of ammo and some expendable friends, then i would open that locator thingy and go find it. :)

Hey you forgot to mention about putting the red colour sweatband arond your head and bazooka may deems necessary in this mission : just to retreive a bike.:P

Getting the police may be another option if one is very SURE of the bike location but ....... . It can be equally tricky if you bring the police to the place with no bike but just a mobile phone in sight.

At one time, I wanted to get a GPS locator on top of the alarm already installed in the vehicle when traveling to another country. However read about the pro in that country who can easily overcome it plus my vehicle insurance includes theft.

Anyway we don't really have the statistics of how, when, what and where the bike are usually stolen to do a root cause analysis. Its just a causal discussion.

right, thing is a bike cost ab. 1500USD even more for a new one which is a lot.. the best is to have an alarm, which is supposed to do enough noise to wake you up or to alert the neighbors... GPS attached on the alarm is away too expensive and need a specific contract and all the countries are not covered.. My previous motorbike (rented one) has been stolen and i can tel that it is a pain when you have to pay for what you just lost... now got my own with alarm and as soon as someone move it it make a so loud sound that i can ear it from far... hope it is enough, i ll see for how long...

sorry for being a bit off-topic with the smartphone discussion. u will never find a phone if u give it to me. no email, no sms, no locator, no imei, nothing. if u give it to a rookie, yeah.

and back to bikes. i think the correct question is: for what bike are u willing to be a hero? read martyr. cause locals never do one on one's. and those that make a living out of stealing bikes... carry a firearm and still dont do one on one's! :S

imo, i would buy a non-appealing bike, install a 20-30-40$ alarm on it, just to keep off the petty thieves and thats it. if i buy a more desirable motor, i need more than 40$ alarm + android phone hidden there. because i will be targeted by a better category of thieves.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Considering the compensation amount for the rental bike , that explains why the extra effort to prevent it from recurring.

I am not sure about sihanoukville, do they have security guard there to look after the bikes at night?

Most local park their bike inside their house at night especially those who owns newer bike.

Yep, been stolen at my home, during daytime ... and before i didn t have security... now at home no prob, i have all security :)...
and now no more motorbikes, just a buggy... normally as there are not much here (apart few other models only those i sell)...

phnom penh bound wrote:
Aaliyah01 wrote:

I'm sure we are all aware of that. Thats why we should try to be sure we post comments and opinions that we are knowledgeable about.

u've got issues mister