Driving License

Have any one taken Khmer Driving license recently as an expat
What is the test we need to take at License office?

Phnom Penh Driving School

Yes.

I tried it and they are very strict with expats. I went into the heavy driving school 30 min north of Phnom Penh. This is the only centre that was open for foreigners as the Phnom Penh testing was closed down. (I think that it has re-opened). There are 2 parts a written test that is performed on a computer. There is an app that you can use to practice the test. The answers are sometimes wrong, and sometimes contradictory, but if you practice on the app you will pass the written.

The practical driving test is not easy. You have to go around the course, stopping and indicating at the correct places. There are 2 parking tests and they are the tough parts of the test. On the reversing into the T parking you only have one go getting between the posts, and they move the posts to inside the white lines making a very tight park. So you need a lot of practice to hit it the first time. The parallel parking is similarly hard. I failed it 2 times. Every time you want to retry you have to pay again. (depending on your teacher).

If you do make it past the 2 parking tests then keep a calm head as there is one final stop sign before you can park and get out of the car. I watched a german man so happy that he passed the parking that he missed the final stop sign, they failed him and he had to do it again.

The people that are running the place are condescending and very happy when they fail another barang. There is no opportunity to "bribe a pass" as they are outside the car watching you navigate the circuit.

The disgust that I felt with witnessing the way that Khmer drive and then inconsistency with the strictness of the test I decided that I did not want to waste more money. So I never got my licence. I am over 50 and have held licences of many sorts of vehicles since I was 17. I have held Canadian and Australian drivers licences and passed tests in both of those countries. Never has I felt so defeated as I have when I tried the Khmer driving test.

I agree.  Back in February I passed the theory no problem.  I was going for a motorbike license,  been riding in Asia 10 years without one. I had a practice round on their bike, a Yamaha MT150. It was the toughest I have ever experienced and probably why no Cambodians ever get a license. I couldn't do it, walked away. I will just carry on as before,  no problem.

I'm curious I have a UK car licence but like most I can ride a 125 cc bike but not bigger, so why was the practical so difficult because in last 8 years I have seen all sorts of nightmares riding on the road, the norm seems to be just avoid the one in front of you, even now with traffic lights on river side they still ignore red lights and by far the worse drivers I have ever seen, they have no sence of even what side of the road they should be on, in town it's hard to speed, but on national roads that's were a lot of deaths come on overtaking,

I think that it is no correlation between the licence and what you have to do to get it (bribe or pass) and the way that people drive. Not having a licence means paying the "instant" fine when you're caught. There is no punishment for driving like an idiot.

Just wondering what the instant fine is? I've heard $5. Working on getting a licence but until then I want to know how much cash I should have in the back pocket.

@Ben110

Under 125 cc no need for a DL.

Some police officers still want the tea money which is usually $5 for a single traffic violation.

If you're on top not wearing a helmet, have no plate and card you should be prepared for higher fines.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi everyone!

I got my driving license recently and would like to recommend Mittapheap driving school.

I went to their office in Toul Kork but they have offices all around the town. They have a great instructor in Toul Kork office!

When you take the driving test I recommend you pay 10 $ and practice there at the exam place 30 min before the exam.

That will help you get used to the car and do better when reverse parking.

Good luck everyone!

If you have any questions please ask.