Safe accommodation for a reasonable rate

My husband and I wish to visit Cuenca, Ecuador for about two months to get a feel for the area.  We would like to stay in a safe accommodation for a reasonable rate.  We will bring a small Chihuaha.  We are considering relocation to Quito or Cuenca in the future.  Can anyone give some good recommendations as to a place to rent closer to the mountains but also near the cities?

Does anyone know the process of bringing a pet to Ecuador from the USA?  Thank you!

Hello AnnAdina07. :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Ecuador forum for more interaction.

Browsing the other threads on the Ecuador forum could help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Ann,
I guess right off the bat, I'd have to inquire what is " a reasonable rate " to pay for rent. I think we all have different comfort levels with regards to money.
I am moving to Cuena this coming June. I am renting prior to buying. I have booked a very nice, modern Condo at the $ 700.00 a month range. It is all inclusive, with full laundry in the condo, high speed internet, hot water, full kitchen, and full housekeeping. Now some will say that is too expensive, and you can get a place in the $ 300.00 range. I am chosing my place for location and amenities. Plus, the owner is very knowledgeable about all things Ecuador, and that's a huge bonus to me. As far as being close to the mountains, Cuenca is actually like in a bowl.... you have a 360 degree view of the mountains. ( look up the translation of Cuenca.... BAG )
There are many rental sites you can access. You might try www.flipkey.com  You might like to visit Gringo Tree, as they also have rental availabilities. If you have never visited, you might book a Hotel of Hostel for a short period to be able to actually visit the place you'll be renting before actually booking it. Or, if you find a place of interest, you can post questions concerning that particular building/ neighborhood.
I wish you and your husband the best of luck in your travels. It's pretty exciting. I think you both will absolutely love Cuenca.... it's an awesome city with the very friendliest locals you'll ever meet. Great food, great climate, great arts....
I'll be there in June , and then on. If that falls within you guys time frame, give me a shout.

Stay Well,
Neil

Hello, about bringing dogs to Ecuador, expect more trouble from the airlines than the customs in Ecuador.

You need vets certificate, vaccines up to date, be sure rabies is a recent one. I think you have to go to the consulate too to certificate all the docs.
The dog has to be in the airport's warehouse until you do all the paperwork but it looks likes this rule doesn't apply all the time.

If you want, you can contact Juan Carlos Montalvo, look in Facebook for Campamento Canino. He knows about this matter and speaks English.

Good Luck
Vinny