Cheap, Western-style (comfort and safety) housing possible in Lagos?

Hey everybody,

I'll be moving to Lagos next week for a 6-month assignment. Though I was there a couple weeks ago on a preliminary trip, I had trouble finding housing in the range of what the small startup business I work for can afford. More specifically, my price range is 400-450k naira TOTAL (about $2500-$3000), again, for six months. I've been looking at websites and in person with a few property agents in search of fairly nice (Western standards-ish) and safe apartments or guesthouses to this end in Lekki, VI, Ikoyi, Island, VGC, Yaba, Surulere, and even other areas. Thus far, I've discovered only one or two places that are both safe/nice and meet my budget. Is this essentially a lost cause in Lagos? Does anybody have some advice?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Kevin

Hello Kevin.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

The Housing in Lagos section might help. You can post an advert there.

You can take a look as well into the Lagos Business directory - Real estate section.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Cool, I'll do that. Thanks Aurélie!

try precint comfort. Its a nice little place in Yaba. It looks residential and they might do you a good deal for 6months. I have had friends stay there when they went to Lagos and they gave good reviews.I think they also have a guest house in Ikoyi so you could ask if there's space there too.

precinctcomfort.com

FHA diamond estate is quite comfortable with an annual rent of 350,000Naira. It's three bedroom bungalow with security and water supply. A number of foreigners are living in the estate. Easy access to Ikeja.

Hi Kevin,

Where did you end up ?

Cheers,
Hans

Thank you all for your responses!

brownbutterfly, I never tried Precinct Comfort, but judging by its rooms and location, and from similar-hotels, I'm pretty sure it would have been a good deal above my price range. Or maybe I'm wrong.

And post.email - N350,000 a year? That is ridiculously cheap, if it's indeed a comfortable place. I've actually driven past that part of Igando countless times for work, but never stopped by, as I'd already procured accommodation at that point. Although I heard that there aren't too many working generators in that estate.

Hi Hans. I'm back in the US as of November 2013, but, long story short, I decided to up my price and stay long-term in the hotel where I was initially lodging at, Ikeja Central Hotel, near the Oba Akran/Adeniyi Jones intersection in Ikeja (message me if you wan't me to connect you to the owner). A large part of the reason was both the insecurity of my post (I wasn't sure whether I'd be leaving in 3 months or a year) and my friendship with the British-Nigerian hotel owner, as well as its proximity to Computer Village, which I had to visit 2-3 times a week for business. By paying in advance, I was able to get a rate of N3k per day, or N90k a month. It's as nice a budget hotel as you'll find in Lagos, especially considering there is 24/7 power and even semi-decent wifi.

The only other secure, moderately comfortable (by Western standards), and furnished place I was able to find for the 6 month period, after much haggling, was small guesthouse/hotel in Ikota, near VGC (between Lekki and Ajah). They ultimately agreed to accept N400k for 6 months (not including the 10% I'd probably have to pay the realtor). The issues were 1) I wouldn't be allowed to use their kitchen very often, 2) though a short walk from the main road/highway, the side road which the hotel was located on wasn't paved and often got muddy, 3) transport from that area to the mainland, and particularly Ikeja, almost always takes quite  long time, and 4) general prices of dining out, entertainment, etc. is higher than on the mainland.

In all, short-term, secure accommodation in Lagos for expats (even for ex-Peace Corps, "backpacking-type" expats like myself who are okay with roughing it up to some extent) is very difficult to find at a cheap or even moderate price. If you're unlucky enough to be with a cheap company that doesn't provide housing, like I was, and you're staying for 6-8 months or less, then your best bet is to scour budget/mid-range hotels and negotiate a long-term price with the owner, to be paid in advance. I hate those expat-bubble, military-guarded housing installations, but even I concede that though Lagos isn't as dangerous as many make it out to be, it's still important for an expat to be behind at least one level of security, at the very least a hotel wall that's always manned by a guard.

If you're staying longer, perhaps a year or more, then you can certainly find moderately-priced longer-term apartment rentals, perhaps even at under N45k a month. However, keep in mind that in spite of the Lagos government's efforts, most landlords in Lagos State expect two years rent all up front. And if you go the realtor route, BEWARE OF 419, as Lagosians say - make sure to go with one who has community recommendations and a nice office, as rental fraud is rife!

If I come back to Naija, then I'll definitely push to live somewhere besides Lagos (or even Abuja)! My favorite areas, which are all much cheaper too, are Jos, Owerri, Ibadan, Asaba, Ilorin, Kaduna, and Kano. Try to get posted in one of those cities!

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for the description and the outcome of your queste.  This is half a year ago, so should still be quite representative.

I am looking also at the 'shared flat'-options with other expats as an alternative.

Long time ago (over 20 y), I was in Lagos as a 23y old boy on an exchange program.  I stayed then in a student house close to the university (UniLag).  No problems then (or at least I did not realize ;-) ).

Hans.

Glad to hear you already have some Nigerian connection! Yeah, a shared expat-type flat might also be the way to go, but just keep in mind that it will probably be expensive, and might take a bit of coordination, as many of them are wholly-owned by one particular company who, though they might have spare rooms, aren't used to independently negotiating a rate for it. Message me if you want me to put you in touch with a couple expat friends of mine in Ikeja who live in similar compounds.

One option is in Lekki
1M Naira for a mini flat for one year ($6,000)
Your budget is about spot on but not sure if they will do 6 months can try and find out
By about October we should have a company office and flat/rooms so I will consider offers
I prefer company when in Lagos as it is as you know unsafe and better to have 2 or 3 guys together and decent security

I have set up a business in Lagos and joined another start up (high end professional firm)

I am not looking to employ anyone and do not need help with my business thanks (for any one else reading this)