VIETNAM FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

It looks to me like the tread type that routinely gets shut down here is requests and offers to learn Vietnamese.  It also seems that people are resisting using the classifieds for this as they repeatedly post in the open forum.  I believe that many do not see this as a commercial transaction as much as a personal interaction.  Could I suggest that site management should instead create a special sticky thread for this topic.  Prohibitions against posting personal details could still hold but perhaps these questions could be allowed only in this thread.  Both those seeking to learn and those offering to teach should be allowed to post but they must make contact via PM.  Then if these things pop up in the forum, shut them down at once with a full deletion.

THIGV wrote:

Could I suggest that site management should instead create a special sticky thread for this topic. .

You can, I like it, and I will make sure the admin see your suggestion by sending a link to them and making the idea available for discussion amongst the various teams.

The contact details ban is more important than most realise because of the nasty behaviour of some members, and a lot more who aren't members but read the posts to harvest contact details for a wide variety of naughty reasons.

interesting rules.

ladyearlgrey wrote:

interesting rules.

Fred's Fan Club (Reg.) would be the first to applaud, but...
S/he has the concepts of nasty & naughty well covered:
an immaculate (maybe missed?) concept(ion) we would agree... 
..after all, rules are foolproof only until a new fool finds a way. 

..and Fred alone makes it SO HARD for us fools...       :mad:

..but despite rumours to the contrary, Blonde Anglo-Saxons
are NOT favoured.    At least in public.     

For the rest of us?    ..we just visit for the comedy...      :idontagree:

Bazza139 wrote:

..and Fred alone makes it SO HARD for us fools...       :mad:

Aw, don't be mad, I'm just assisting in enforcing the rules, and very sensible rules at that.

A forum based in Indonesia just lost its mod team for whatever reason, and that is now spammed to hell with total crap, making the forum useless to anyone who wants serious information.
Advertising, dating and god knows what else is on there, but no information worth anything to expats.

A for contact details, you have no clue how many perverts and scammer harvest phone numbers, email addresses and whatever information they can for their nasty intent.
We remove contact details because we don't want the forum used by nasty people for crimes of whatever sort.
Now and again we get posters who keep posting their numbers, but go on to moan how perverts are calling them wanting sex.

No matter what the forum does someone will complain, so we might as well have the complaints about no contact details rather than complaints about sex pests getting numbers from forums.

Tsk!   ..it's not like you to bite at baits, O Furry one...
Like you said;
'No matter what the forum does someone will complain, so...'

..just me giving you a serve...   

(Grumble), Ok, yes, you do a good (great!) job...     :thanks:

Happy now???

Bazza139 wrote:

Ok, yes, you do a good (great!) job...     :thanks:

Happy now???

No, I will be grumpy all night, not be able to sleep properly, be very tired in the morning, shout at my daughter for no reason, my wife will shout at me, I'll shout back and it'll all get worse and worse until she demands a divorce, I'll agree and I never see my kids again - all because you moaned at me.

I hope you're happy with yourself. :D

..so see?   I have single-handed solved all your problems!    :proud

..and made you a Hero to all those other unwanted husbands...      :gloria

(no applause please: I wish to remain my humble self)   :shy

Are ya'all bored or what?

Sprung (yet) again..!     Thanks Mac!!

..but what else can we do?   We depraved have been deprived
of the sex, drugs and violins 'normal' humans have easy access
to, too...   We search for stuff.    Your rambles are unhelpful.

Creative (or cryptic) criticisms only.   Please?     :blink:

Oops;
OK sorry, back to my banjo

A banjo?   Nah!   ..you can upset far more people with violins...    :idontagree:

(especially angry ones...)

Hello everybody,

This thread has been created for the members to know the rules of the forum, please avoid posting unnecessary and off topic comments on it.

Thanks,

Priscilla

Yes, please advise a place for us where life is blissfully replete with rice cakes and tea, preferably with a taxi always at the ready, our penthouse apartment always with cool air on hot nights, and breakfast at Bha Hai's near the market every morning, and eternal health and smiles for everyone.
A du da phat

Please, Mac, accept that perfection DOES exist...

It is here, on Expat Forum.

Read the Rules, O disbeliever!!      :o

OK,
looking for perfect chaos within perfection, as a we make our own realities, we've all got our
senses of perfections,...hmmmmm? a clear morning and the sun remains rising when it wants to?
Yea, OK, yea,  yea I get finally!
he, he ;)

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everybody,

This thread has been created for the members to know the rules of the forum, please avoid posting unnecessary and off topic comments on it.

Thanks,

Priscilla

Regarding to the copy/cut /past repeated with blocked automatic as commented by the management team with quote constantly fighting the spammers . Agree all as this is a great system to provide the safe environment for everyone including all of us .
However in some case a person is not spammer , but this rule has caused some trouble to be block for sending message. not sure but couldn't see this terms .
May I suggest this rule should have shown in the terms for users to register at the beginning .

Thanks and Regards .

thank for share

Thanks for the article

I find this post very useful and informative!

What is the correct greeting for Mother-inlaw please?

Sorry Mikey, (apparently?) there is no cure for stupidity
so seek refuge in the prophecies of the past and:

'Resist what resists within you'  - The Mahabharata

..or be comforted by reading Hexagram 21, line 4 of
the 'I Ching'.   -  Blind eyes and Deaf ears carry the
yoke of guilt.   There can be no recovery...

Baz, The question was genuine. When meeting one's Vietnamese Mother-inlaw for the first time, what is the correct greeting please.

My gravest apologies

Being off-topic so often as I am, I tend to overlook the obvious

My Bad Barry: my snarky side snuck out.

I will (not) correct it...      :dumbom:

Mikey mac,

my girl tells me.
Con Chào Mẹ (hi mom)

Zep--

Thankyou

Zepo wrote:

Mikey mac,

my girl tells me.
Con Chào Mẹ (hi mom)

Zep--

I thought it was chào mẹ vợ, chào/hello...mẹ/ mum....vợ/wife.

A question for the moderators: 

Is it OK to include contact information such as regular email and/or phone numbers on the profile page?  If so those who are willing to post such information could put a statement like "Please see my profile page for contact info" on their posts.  From your perspective, if it is permissible and you made it clear, you might avoid having to constantly remove contact info from posts.

@THIGV

Have contacted admin about your request.

THIGV wrote:

A question for the moderators: 

Is it OK to include contact information such as regular email and/or phone numbers on the profile page?

Hi THIGV,

Please note that contact information on the profile page are also removed and are not allowed.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Is it OK to give out contact information by PM or do you read those too?

THIGV wrote:

Is it OK to give out contact information by PM or do you read those too?

PRIVATE message

Contact details aren't allowed on the open forums because expats and expat sites have a particular problem in that we are often (Rightly or wrongly) seen as rich and not always all that sure about the places we live.
In some sections of the site there are other issues, especially rather unpleasant men who think any lady is fair game, regardless of her feeling on the matter.
We had a lady member some months ago who refused to stop posting contact details; most were removed pretty quickly but she went on to post a new thread about how the site was horrible because she was getting sex pest phone calls.

Hi everyone,

@ THIGV, we don't monitor or read private messages. So, you may send your contact details through the private messaging system without any moderator knowing or intervening.

We only advise members to report any unsolicited private message they receive. In this particular case, we can view the reported message and take action if and where necessary.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks you, I read it

Havaianu wrote:

Mac y've got me scratching my head.
Having lived under a totalitarian regime with its own political police, which couldn't have been more aptly named, Police In Defense of the State. That has given me a knee jerk reaction to "Big Brother knows what is best for you".
I've respected the rules of the forum, period.
But  I do have my opinions also.
How about a viable alternative?
If a member posts PI, gets deleted but moderators could send a message in which the forum makes the person aware of the issues. The person once signing electronically that said person assumes all liability, that person could post his/hers PI.
A tad more work for moderators so they could get more moderators to deal with the extra workload.
Second viable alternative .... let's vote on the matter?
I'm pro freedom of self expression.

From reading your post, I realize that you do understand. The thing is that, while open to the public as long as the rules are followed, this is a private forum. The people running this forum have an absolute right to censor and/or expel anyone using this forum for any or no reason.

Note, my hand has been slapped here several times. That is their privilege.

Government is a different issue. But, the choice to leave, if that choice is possible, is a way out.

Also note, I voluntarily lived more than 20 years in a very totalitarian environment called the US Military. Their were a number of reasons that I made that choice. Perhaps the biggest reason is that for others to have freedom, some of us have to give up some of our own freedom.

Geez?

Where'd that come from?

Mac68 wrote:

Geez?

Where'd that come from?

Often called introspection: you have it too, Mac

There is freedom in duty, and duty in freedom.

Doublethink to doubters...     :blink:

Na,

Not that, ... I had't posted anything lately, didn't know how I got in qeue.
Mac

:huh:    ..I have a Mac too...

..but I hate Apple/s...    :idontagree: