How is it living with family in Istanbul?

Hi all,

Currently living in Paris, France, I am considering moving to Istanbul with the family (for a job opportunity).

Most articles and videos I have seen on Istanbul are appealing more to tourists, single persons or couples without children, than to families - these articles and videos highlight the beauty the architecture, the thrill of the bazaar, the hip restaurants and nightclubs - but what about families? How nice is it for a family with kids to live in Istanbul?

I would greatly appreciate hearing about your opinion and, if you live in family in Istanbul, about your experience. What are the pros, the cons, the assets and the main inconveniences?

Many thanks in advance !

JiB

Some people have said that this is the city for singles - people who don't know others. But the whole city is not just about bazaars and the nightlife. I am currently in a residential suburb on the Asian side and it is much more of a family atmosphere. There are some lovely, if a little expensive, flats around here which would be perfect for family.

I guess it depends on what jind of atmosphere you are looking for and the age of each member of the family.

Hi roblean,

Many thanks for your reply.

We have a young child (about 1.5 year) and may have a second one next year (ie potentially while being in Istanbul).

We are very family oriented, usually like family-friendly atmospheres, quiet neighborhoods, with gardens and parks, places where we can meet with other parents.

Do you think we would enjoy Istanbul? What neighborhoods would you recommend, given the above elements?

Are there good and easily accessible kindergarten/preschools? Maternities & hospitals? Access to doctors?

Many thanks for your opinion. Considering such a move seems a bit daring with a family including young children.

JiB

I can suggest you Istanbul You can find many kindergartens. Also, Istanbul has many private hospitals and they are easy to access. ,
I can suggest you Istanbul. But it is very crowded city. But if you choose a good location you wouldnt be affected by it.
We mostly have buildings consist of many apartments.
So, houses with gardens not common or expensive or not many much for rent.
I can write more later or visit myistanbulguide.com ( my site:))

Hello,

I have been living in Istanbul for the past 4 months now.  My husband and I moved from America (where I am from), he is Turkish.  From what I have seen, Istanbul and probably Turkey in general is a very family focused place.  People tend to put a lot of time and energy into children here so I think it can be a great place to raise a family.  The prices are about the same as what we were paying in the US for general things (heat, electricity) so I think you might end up ahead financially compared to France.  The hardest part about living here is that I don't share the same holidays as my in-laws so if I want to celebrate Christmas etc. either I have to go the US or celebrate with expat. friends here.  It is a good idea to join expatriate communities in order to keep ties to people that you relate to the most. IWI (International Women of Istanbul)is one of them. I have also made Turkish friends and have opted to submerge myself in the culture here but there are times when I want to be around Americans.

The private schools here are very good. The private hospitals are better than the ones I went to in the US and the insurance is only $800 per year (per person) compared to $800/month.

I think that international exposure is very enriching and I thrive in the experience.

Good luck with your choice.

Best,
Dayna

There are lots of things i could say,but the most important thing is,your children will definately have a good education if you choose the school correctly... :)

As far as I heard, turkey is better when we compare with some of european countries and usa in terms of child abuse, child trafficking and else.
Even though, children missing has increased in the last years.
But, still it must not be too much.
In turkish culture, parents devote themselves to raise their children and to supply them the best always.
I can suggest you turkey, istanbul. it is surely good for families too.
And it is a big city and crowded. You see, crowded means problems for all cities.
And you should choose a good spot to live in the city.
I suggest:)

Hi,

I have lived in both Istanbul and Ontario with my family for years. These are the descriptive words from my quick judgement on Istanbul. I love this city and its diversity. I hope this is going to be helpful.

Pros: Diversity, climate, reasonable prices, fast and quality services, relatively safe, bus. opportunities, fast health care services, positive discrimination on foreigners(as far as I know), friendly people, freedom of choice, multicultural and religious environment,international schools, holiday destination, experienced doctors,modern life opportunities similar to your home country, Bosphorus     

Cons: Traffic (number 1), crowd, busy and fast business life, inadequate time, the most expensive gasoline in the world,bad for handicaps, less control on TV channels,   

Bye

Since there are lots of feedback no need to say the same things again. I would like to suggest one thing as a local person. Make sure your home and bussiness are on the same site of the city. If your bussiness is on Europe site you may stay in Etiler, Ulus, Levent, Akatlar, Bakırköy etc. If its in Asian site Erenkoy, Bostanci, Ataşehir are very nice places for a family. Though these places are a little bit expensive its worth to it.

aloncan wrote:

Hi,

I have lived in both Istanbul and Ontario with my family for years. These are the descriptive words from my quick judgement on Istanbul. I love this city and its diversity. I hope this is going to be helpful.

Pros: Diversity, climate, reasonable prices, fast and quality services, relatively safe, bus. opportunities, fast health care services, positive discrimination on foreigners(as far as I know), friendly people, freedom of choice, multicultural and religious environment,international schools, holiday destination, experienced doctors,modern life opportunities similar to your home country, Bosphorus     

Cons: Traffic (number 1), crowd, busy and fast business life, inadequate time, the most expensive gasoline in the world,bad for handicaps, less control on TV channels,   

Bye

I totally agree with you. Very good points. wish all new-comers read this

best