Suadiye, Istanbul Living

I am wondering what life in Suadiye, Istanbul is like. I will be accepting an ESL post @ EFINST there in September. I'm excited about the move, and looking forward to exploring the city.

I hear it's much quiter than the European side. Does that translate into boring, with nothing to do? Are there movie theaters, pubs, restaurants?

What's the cost of living?  I plan on taking a room in shared living accommodations.

How much TL should I be making a month to adequately live? I don't need to live like a king, but I like to enjoy the culture of a city. What is average for an ESL teacher in Istanbul? I'll be teaching adults, 30 contact hours a week.

Also looking for friends for when I arrive. Can't have enough of those.

Thanks,

Merritt

Hi Corydon27 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon be able to enlighten you.;)

Have you browse through the different threads of the forum? It may also help you.

Harmonie.

Hello,
     Well Suadiye or the bagdat street area is one of the best places in istanbul. Mostly high educated people with high income are living around bagdat street area. For the clubbing European side is the best choice but you have the long seaside and shopping areas and restaurants,movie theaters etc... Bet you are going to love it but for sure the living cost is higher than the taksim area...

Hi Meritt,

It is excellent location to live. But also a bit expensive than the other places. But you will be close to seaside, downtown and other social activities.

As you said, it is more quiet in Asian side. But, it is not boring, it is a neeed in İstanbul :) Also, you will have so much places to go for any social activities which so closed to you. Never ever boring.

The cost of life depends on the type of your expenses. But there is always a bunch of options in Istanbul. :)

Good luck!

Hello,

I am an English teacher who has taught in Vietnam, India and Canada and is now trying to relocate to Istanbul. I have been in touch with EFINST International House, and there is a good possibility that I will be offered a job at either the Florya or Suadiye branch.

I was wondering if I could ask you about your experience with this school. Generally, what do you think of your time working at the Suadiye branch? How do you find the teaching environment? Is it supportive and friendly? What about the students, do you find them motivated and eager to learn English? Did you have any problems with the school (i.e. not fulfilling your contract, change of contract, etc.) Any information you can give me would be a great help.

Thanks a lot,
Z