Considering to get a teaching job at the American School of Dubai

Is there anyone on this forum that currently works at the American School of Dubai? If so, is their salary and benefits package that is listed on their website accurate and sufficient to live well in Dubai?

Also, when it says that the Cost of Living allowance is $10,000, is that in US or AED? I know it says that it is paid in Dirham, but is that $10,000 exchanged into Dirham?

Do you need a car in Dubai? Is there any public transportation? How much do cars cost?

Thank you.

do you need a car? probably not. do you want a car? heck yes. your trans options include buses, cabs, and now the dubai Metro!

I don't really understand your Cost of Living question. If the figure has a $ sign in front of it it means US$. If it says it's paid in dirhams then it's paid in dirhams - the dirham is pegged to the dollar at 3.678.

Do you need a car? Depends where you live in relation to where you work. There's an extensive bus service, there are thousands of taxis, the Metro has partially opened but the route is very limited.

Cost of cars? Depends whether you want new or used and which car you want. Used cars you can find at www.gnads4u.com/wheels

as far as the cost of living question goes, in the explanation of benefits it states that you are given $10,000 paid in dirhams. so you are saying that if the dollar sign is before the amount then it is paid in US dollars. It kind of confused me too.

yes but why don't you clarify to stay on the safe side. or do the math? as a teacher, do those numbers make sense to you?

Not confusing. They express the figure in the currency you understand, US$, because if they said it was 36,780 dirhams it wouldn't mean anything to you.

They're paying the amount in dirhams, as you would be living and spending it in the UAE, and at the fixed exchange rate of 3.678 you will get 36,780 dirhams.

You can get a descent car for $3000 and the average cost of living is 10000 dirham a month (excluding rent). The exchange rate is 3.68 dirham = $1

You will not afford to live in Dubai on $10k a year...

Hi! Dubai had really have really given teachers high salary. If you really want more information of this, You can visit this site Dubai Jobs. For sure, this article will help you to answer all your questions..

Hello Mr Todd Blechner,

I've sent a PM, please check out your inbox.

Thank you.