Ex-pat (to be) newbie saying to all!

Hi everyone, glad to have found this forum! I am moving either to Bulgaria, or possibly Turkey in the very near future and although I have not ever been to Bulgaria once as yet, but I am very interested in this wonderful looking country. Really want to communicate with ex-pats who have settled in Bulgaria permanently. I have my own income and will be emigrating as a single man, although I am currently 'separated'. Very serious about leaving the UK asap! Thanks in advance if anyone would like to educate me about Bulgaria, with the ex-pat's point of view. I am not dependant on finding work abroad if I can't find work in BG,but I certainly intend on buying a house somewhere in the south of Bulgaria perhaps. Bye for now, Marcus ;-)

Hello Marcus71.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You should go through the other threads on the Bulgaria forum. It can help.

If you have precise questions, do not hesitate to ask them as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Marcus,

if you have a specific question - post it, I'll try to help. There are a few thing that I don't know ot can't find in Bulgaria.

Kristiann

Hi Marcus,

Bulgaria is certainly a country that has lots to offer and is full of diversity. From seaside resorts to Mountain regions that can rival many a place in Western Europe right to towns full of history like VT.
If you are not Dependant on work the choice is even harder. Mind, in the country side you may find it harder to connect with the Expat community and there certainly is a degree of depopulation of rural towns moving into bigger cities leaving the older people behind.
My advise, if this is your first time here to first rent an apartment and travel round for a bit. Bus travel is easy in Bulgaria and relatively cheap.
You can rent a place for half what you will pay in the UK or Germany for that matter.  In any dealings just use your common sense and the basic rule holds true anywhere, don't sign it if you don't understand it, but get instead help. Better pay a small fee then make costly mistakes.
Compared to many a European country English, German or even French is not very wildly spoken yet, although mostly understood. It is getting better for the years I have been living here but the more rural you go the lesser the chance that your English or German for that matter will suffice.
But it is a great country with great people!