Just wondering...

Hi! I'm just trying to get some information about living in Puerto Rico.

My husband has applied for the dental school at UPR in San Juan. So I'm just gathering information at this point, no definite plans. But if we moved it would be there for 4 years.

Husband is fluent in Spanish, I at best can read basic Spanish and can follow slow conversations.

We have 2 daughters- one is 6, the other an infant. I know Public schools are in Spanish, I highly doubt we would be able to afford private school- would she be ok in school at her age- or would I need to plan to homeschool her? How is the education in the schools anyway?

We would like to live in a family friendly safe affordable area near the university- does that exist? Should we plan on bringing any of our furniture? I would think we would leave our car in the states. Would we need to buy one there? How is the public transportation?

I have a million questions... just don't want to bombard- and especially since he's only applied and we don't know the possibilities. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Misty

abbysmomma wrote:

We have 2 daughters- one is 6, the other an infant. I know Public schools are in Spanish, I highly doubt we would be able to afford private school- would she be ok in school at her age- or would I need to plan to homeschool her? How is the education in the schools anyway?

The education level in Public school is not very good. Some are a little better than others. I can't make any recommendations though - our daughter is grown up and we don't live in the city. :)

abbysmomma wrote:

We would like to live in a family friendly safe affordable area near the university- does that exist? Should we plan on bringing any of our furniture? I would think we would leave our car in the states. Would we need to buy one there? How is the public transportation?

I'm almost sure the dental school in Rio Piedras, which is part of the Metro area (greater San Juan. Prices for homes/apartments in the city are high, unfortunately.
With small children I would prefer to live in a gated community, especially in the city. Unfortunately rents are not low in those communities.
When I first came to Puerto Rico in 2001 I lived in a rented apartment in Rio Piedras in a gated community. We had one bedroom, one bath a kitchen and a living room and paid 600 dollars per month for it. The appartment was in a private house, first floor. Nice and quiet community, it even had its own parc.
Later we moved to the countryside and rented a three bedroom two bathroom house for $ 450.

Close to the UPR campus there are rooms and apartments for students available. My daughter had a 10' x 10' room with a tiny bathroom on the 4th floor and paid $250/month for that.(two years ago) Bigger apartments are more expensive, of course. The area is a nice student area but not really suitable for families IMO.

I would definitely advice not to bring your car - transport is not cheap and you'd have to pay taxes. Since you plan to stay for a limited amount of time I wouldn't go through taking furniture either. Many apartments are rented with (some) furniture and you can buy (used if you're on a tight budget) the rest. Check prices for shipping with an international moving company and keep in mind that you'd have to ship your things back to the US after 4 years.

Public transportation is available in the city. It's not too bad. 

abbysmomma wrote:

I have a million questions... just don't want to bombard- and especially since he's only applied and we don't know the possibilities. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Misty

Go ahead and ask. :D If I have answers I'll be glad to help.

Gary- Thanks! You are very helpful!

Ok on the furniture... what about other things? I read somewhere that necessities aren't charged if you've had it for a year and don't plan on selling. But extras- like cameras, musical instruments, I would suppose video game stuff are charged when you bring them in. What about kitchen items? toys? linens? clothes?

Since we won't be bringing lots of stuff I'm sure we could live in a smaller place- just enough bedrooms and stuff for the family. Right now our rent is $750... and before we were paying $900- rent in the states is not cheap either!

abbysmomma wrote:

Ok on the furniture... what about other things? I read somewhere that necessities aren't charged if you've had it for a year and don't plan on selling. But extras- like cameras, musical instruments, I would suppose video game stuff are charged when you bring them in. What about kitchen items? toys? linens? clothes?

I'm pretty sure you can bring those items without having to pay taxes; everything that's not new should be no problem.

abbysmomma wrote:

Since we won't be bringing lots of stuff I'm sure we could live in a smaller place- just enough bedrooms and stuff for the family. Right now our rent is $750... and before we were paying $900- rent in the states is not cheap either!

Well, for that kind of money you will be able find a nice place I'm sure.

I moved here about 5 years ago and Gary is right, dont bring your car because it is very expensive and difficult to get out of customs. The public education system is in Spanish and not recommended. Even Puertoricans will pay for their kids to go to private school. Getting a job here is very difficult. Its all about who you know. What business are you in? Also think you should not bring furniture. The shipping and the taxes are too expensive. Good luck with your move and I hope I provided some helpful information.

Thanks Anne and Gary-

If we move there my husband would go to school and I would plan on just staying at home like I currently do- as students we have funding to be able to do this. We'd probably have to find a way to budget in private school or plan on me teaching her at home.

It gives me a good start.

It would be an adventure for our family- exciting and really scary at the same time!

Since you both moved to PR did you speak Spanish before? How was the transition? I'm slightly worried about the culture shock for me... will I have conveniences like I do here? Grocery stores as opposed to street markets. I'm guessing in the city it's more modern than the country. I bet these are silly questions. I keep wanting to say American, but I do realize PR is part of the US. Are there parts of the city where more English speakers live than other areas- I guess I'd just be a little worried about isolation- not speaking Spanish, being at home with 2 young kids, husband away at school all day.

I'm totally getting ahead of myself- he's only applied, he doesn't even have an interview yet!

Gary is spot on with what he has shared. What I can add is in the really nice and safe areas, rent will be typically more around the $1000-$1500 for a really nice comfortable and safe apartment.  Your best bet is a condo. If you rather have English friendly areas, the tourist areas of Ocean Park, Isla Verde and Condado are your best bet, but would make for a bit of a commute for your husband to the dental school. In PR typically commutes within the metropolitan city area are short, if it weren't for the horrible traffic jams.  Go to clasificadosonline.com to search for plenty of housing listings, amongst other things.  It's a bilingual site.  Definitely be ready for culture shock. Yes, PR is a territory or colony of the U.S., but it really is like a completely different country.  In some ways it is American style, in some ways European style, and in others Latin American style.  Because you have a young family, I would strongly advise you visit the island prior to making any long term living plans. Hope your husband is accepted in the school and wish you the best of luck!

Vehicles there are more that a million dealers on this island some with really great deals. don't bring a motor vehicle here if you don't wanna be $3000 to $15000 short on motor vehicle Tax. it is a little bit insane but you can get a very decent slitly used family vehicle for 6 maybe $10 grands.

Medical care there is more than plenty of Hospitals and Clinics around the Island. with a Walgreens farmacy on almost every conner. If you are a Military Veteran or family of one even better.

Schools are o.k. both of my children ages 7 and 5 are in public schools.

Utilities bills let me tell you mine so you have an idea.
I live in Ponce my house is a 5 bedroom 2 Bath house paid in full, with 4 adults and 2 childs. For a similar house you are looking at $700 give or take for rent in this area.

This are montly average
Electric average is $365
Water average is $65
Groceries Averace $450+ There are hundres of Super Markets, Malls and Walmart Super Centers.
Internet, Satelite TV, 3 Celphones average $200
Insurace for 2 Cars and 2 Motorcycles $130
Places to eat Thousans from local restaurans to all the american favorites. cost varies from .79 cents to a few hundre dollars depending were you go out and eat.

You can rent or buy a very nice house with payments from $400 to $1500 a month depending on location on the island the websites I provided have information about all 78 munisipalities. Now my most honest advise will be Stay the hell out of the Metropolitan Zone the rest of Puerto Rico is a completly diferent World, for economic living Look for the South, North or West if you want peacefuness and away from most people go Central,the East of PR is beautifull but Very Expensive. I live in Ponce and commute to the Metro area once or twise a week and is not to bad the driving as long you have a reliable fuel efficient car.

I hope this helps if you have any other question just ask.