Security bars and windows

Hello, my husband and I desire to move to Rincon, really love the area and the vibe. We are looking at homes this week. We are from Los Angeles and are also sailors, this year cruising down Baja pacific coast.
I’m am wondering about all the security bars, windows, doors and etc. Is it for storms and crime? Is it better to have if we are gone for several months? Or is it more just the island tradition, therefor if your neighbor has it and you don’t, your an easy target?

My husband is Puerto Rican and left at 13. We have noticed many newer places are adapting “cleaner looking” forms of protective windows... are they just as secure?

Appreciate this form
I didn’t find this answer so forgive the repeated question if it has been posted.

New security windows and doors take the place of the bars. Yes they serve 2 purposes, decoration and security.
Old houses have cheap but functional windows designed to keep out the rain and let the wind in, they are weak so the bars ensures security. New doors and windows are very hard to break.

if you are going to be away a while you may want somebody to keep an eye on your place but also have a good solid metal door in the back of the house, that is usually where they break in because they are harder to be seen.

All I know is my experience. We were in process of  buying a nice country house off the road . Barred windows did not slow them down. Must have known wed be moving in, so they struck quickly. These items were taken: all windows, all screens, all doors, all 3 chandeliers, all the exposed metal pipes, and wiring, the stove, the refrigerator, the freezer, the washer, the dryer, the water heater, the metal closet rods, the medicine cabinets, and the heavy wiring from the fuse box to the street. However they were kind enough to leave me some empty Medallia cans and write on the wall the sizes of the windows they took.
Luckily we had not closed, so we had 10K shaved off the price. Even it cost more to replace, and took a long time and a lot of grief finding skilled work
Called police out and they said get a security system and basically hope for the best.
Did find my 3 chandeliers in a local knick knack shop. Owner just said bought them from a guy in a truck. No names, id or paperwork.
This is just not Puerto Rico. Could happen anywhere.  Housestrippers are very good at what they do.

Moral?  Get bars and alarms, but dont leave it unguardesd, not even overnight. You are being eyeballed. Hire a trusted housesitter.

You write so funny about it, but it must have been upsetting, I think I can imagine the feeling... friend got robbed. The street camera from shop across had the direction. Policeman didn't care. when my friend tried to convince the police to secure the tape in order to catch the robber... police just turn head, look at camera and said: ' nah, its not facing here'...
So police getting your chandeliers. Whoa, they actually did work. Praise for them.
I really wonder where were the kind neighborhood watch gossiper ladies, the ones who sit home all the time, observe everyone elses business, knows about everything that moves around... didn't see nothing this time, or you are free of them in the off road house neighborhood?