Security bars and windows

Hello, my husband and I desire to move to Rincon, really love the area and the vibe. We are looking at homes this week. We are from Los Angeles and are also sailors, this year cruising down Baja pacific coast.
I'm am wondering about all the security bars, windows, doors and etc. Is it for storms and crime? Is it better to have if we are gone for several months? Or is it more just the island tradition, therefor if your neighbor has it and you don't, your an easy target?

My husband is Puerto Rican and left at 13. We have noticed many newer places are adapting “cleaner looking” forms of protective windows... are they just as secure?

Appreciate this form
I didn't find this answer so forgive the repeated question if it has been posted.

New security windows and doors take the place of the bars. Yes they serve 2 purposes, decoration and security.
Old houses have cheap but functional windows designed to keep out the rain and let the wind in, they are weak so the bars ensures security. New doors and windows are very hard to break.

if you are going to be away a while you may want somebody to keep an eye on your place but also have a good solid metal door in the back of the house, that is usually where they break in because they are harder to be seen.

All I know is my experience. We were in process of  buying a nice country house off the road . Barred windows did not slow them down. Must have known wed be moving in, so they struck quickly. These items were taken: all windows, all screens, all doors, all 3 chandeliers, all the exposed metal pipes, and wiring, the stove, the refrigerator, the freezer, the washer, the dryer, the water heater, the metal closet rods, the medicine cabinets, and the heavy wiring from the fuse box to the street. However they were kind enough to leave me some empty Medallia cans and write on the wall the sizes of the windows they took.
Luckily we had not closed, so we had 10K shaved off the price. Even it cost more to replace, and took a long time and a lot of grief finding skilled work
Called police out and they said get a security system and basically hope for the best.
Did find my 3 chandeliers in a local knick knack shop. Owner just said bought them from a guy in a truck. No names, id or paperwork.
This is just not Puerto Rico. Could happen anywhere.  Housestrippers are very good at what they do.

Moral?  Get bars and alarms, but dont leave it unguardesd, not even overnight. You are being eyeballed. Hire a trusted housesitter.

You write so funny about it, but it must have been upsetting, I think I can imagine the feeling... friend got robbed. The street camera from shop across had the direction. Policeman didn't care. when my friend tried to convince the police to secure the tape in order to catch the robber... police just turn head, look at camera and said: ' nah, its not facing here'...
So police getting your chandeliers. Whoa, they actually did work. Praise for them.
I really wonder where were the kind neighborhood watch gossiper ladies, the ones who sit home all the time, observe everyone elses business, knows about everything that moves around... didn't see nothing this time, or you are free of them in the off road house neighborhood?

Hmm,

I live in Rincon near the beach area and I have never ran into any problems. Funny thing, I was thinking about opening up a business in Puerto Rico but I did not know what it would be. After reading both of your comments I have decided to open up a house sitting business in Puerto Rico. This kind of business would be great for people moving to Puerto Rico. You hire a house sitter to stay in your property until you arrive. This will prevent anyone stealing items from your property. Anytime you go away you hire a house sitter. So do you like the idea?

I just called my lawyer to start the process with my future business in Puerto Rico.

One of the other things I notice is how many older people are still living alone. In the states & even Metro area here there?s a multitude of delivery services from Uber Eats & other apps that some of the older folks won?t know how to access. There?s Econo who does delivery of orders or place ahead & they bring out to your car similar to Instacart. It would be great to come up with your own version of similar delivering to the underserved elderly or disabled individuals offering this type of service.

The kind neighbor was in on it. I introduced myself, and he seemed very nice. As soon as the Gringo took 2 weeks away to close the sale, He told the contractor with the big truck..  How do I know? I could never reach the contractor again. Second, the kind neighbor, who had no job, was now driving a nice car. He even tried bumming a can of gasoline from me, which went missing anyway. This man later wrecked his car, beat his wife, and was shot in the leg while stealing bananas off a tree. I heard he finally said the heck with Puerto Rico and went to Florida.   I could not make this up.

I'm sure you know after a while, Rincon is in a bubble. Theft and corruption are a way of life in Puerto Rico. From the Governor on down. Is a shame but its survival. I don't go out the door unarmed.

I'm sure you know after a while, Rincon is in a bubble. Theft and corruption are a way of life in Puerto Rico. From the Governor on down. Is a shame but its survival. I don't go out the door unarmed.

In Mayaguez, I  have seen Mr. Special delivery cars all around the city and way up in the mountains. Just hope you don't get behind one there. They creep along taking all the time they can, Ice Cream be dammed. Guess I don't blame them.

frogface , just curious, where exactly did you live? Everything you've experienced is outrageous. Most of my family lives in PR. I'm there several months a year (by the way, my husband is “gringo” ) and have never experienced or heard family or friends have anything similar. I'm so sorry all this happened to you.

Frogface, I am truly sorry to hear about all your negative experiences.  Do you continue to live in PR?  I have many friends and family in PR and not once have I heard them experience such things.  I own a home (that I inherited) in Bayamon.   It is not the best area and yet I've never had anything bad happen.  For the past 10 years, I've had different contractors work on the house while I'm here in the US and never have I had anything missing, stolen or broken.  My only complaint about PR is finding people who want to work.  Most of the time I call someone they won't follow up.  Otherwise all has been good.

About 8 km up the hill from Mayaguez. A farm, 18 beautiful acres, house 4br, 3 bath, drip irrigation, full detached garage, two 300 gallon water tanks. All appliances, washer, dryer, freezer. plantains, mangoes, breadfruit, pinapples, bananas, dream home. But it was OFF THE ROAD. Not visible. So all the theives had to do was was for the Gringo and his wife to drive off, then go in.