Living in Kep

Hi , My name is Yasmin , I am looking to move to Kep early mid 2013 . I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has any information on Kep re expates and homes for rent........I will be arriving on my own would love to meet up with other expates ................looking forward to hearing from you...........

HI Yasmin,
Kep is very quiet and I'm not sure if there's much in the way of accommodation apart from Guest Houses etc. A few expats working in these. A reasonable number of tourists pass through, some on their way to or from Vietnam across the nearby border.
Kampot close by however has plenty of accommodation and expats both resident and tourists.
Hope this helps
Reg

banbangbao wrote:

Hi , My name is Yasmin , I am looking to move to Kep early mid 2013 . I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has any information on Kep re expates and homes for rent........I will be arriving on my own would love to meet up with other expates ................looking forward to hearing from you...........

Thanks Reg, I have actually been to Kep recently and Kampot, I was in Cambodia for nearly a month . I had rented a home up behind the Kep Post Office and had to come home unexpectedly before I had a chance to meet many people and get more familiar with the place. I would like to hear from anyone actually living there and any info on home rentals would be greatly recieved .  Yasmin

Hi Yasmin.

As you have already been to Cambodia you have an advantage over me. I am planning a permanent move to Cambodia at the end of this month. I have travelled extensively and spent the last two years in the Philippines.

This is my first trip to Cambodia and I have initially found accomodation in Sihanoukville which is about 135 km up the coast from Kep. If I come across any information on rentals in Kep I will let you know.

Normally when I go to a new country I buy a motorcycle so that I can travel and learn. I have sold my motorcycle now and will be looking forward to buying a new one in Cambodia.

I wish you good luck in your move next year and if you see a guy on a motorcycle waving, just wave back.

Mo

Hi Mo, I went to Sihanoukville and did nt like it at all.It was way to tourist tacky and full of hawkers but everyone has their own experiences, so it is worth checking out for yourself . Thats why Kep and Kampot Province is to my liking and I look forward to getting back  as soon as possible.Yes! bike is the way to go, I will buy too!   cioa yasmin

Hi Yasmin

Yes I have been reading up on Sihanoukville on the internet and it seems about 50/50, either people like it or hate it. I definately want to be on the coast and have chosen it as a starting point from wich to explore, life is ever changing and I could eventually end up living elswhere.

I plan to use a bike to also explore Vietnam, Laos and Thailand over the coming years which makes Cambodia a nice central point. Have you been to the surrounding countries?

Mo

i went to kep a few weeks ago and loved it. as i was only visiting I'm unsure whether the foreigners i met were travelling or expats but i know one owner of kep lodge is foreign and there is a French guy that all the tuk tuk drivers hate (although he did seem nice when i talked to him). do you speak French? i gathered that for the most part the expat community is very French

No  , I don t speak French or Khmer  only english ...Yes! I know who you refer to , his reputation is pretty bad but  the rest of Kep and the people I met on my 3 weeks there were wonderful , both French and Khmer. I was just wondering if there were any or many Australians living in the area. I am really looking forward to moving  to Kep and meeting the locals .

i only met Khmer people on my trip there but i was only there for a few days and spent most of my time doing touristy things. i know there is a volunteer teacher who is Australian as a tuk tuk driver was excited to inform me his teacher was from the same place as me ha. I'm sure if you ask the people you already know they'll know if there are any Australian?
good luck :)

Hi Yasmin
We were having coffee together at Tims' store and I thought that I told you that I was going to retire in Cambodia when my compo comes thru. I intend to buy a house in Kampot and if I get there before you, I'll let you know. At least you'll have a place to stay while you look around.
Djaid48

Hi Yasmin,

Welcome to Cambodia again and enjoy your stay.

Kep is a quiet and good place to settle down if you like quietness.

It is not so hard to rent house there and you just riding around town to find the good location you are please and talk to the residence. Thing will be sort out. 

Bye and have a nice stay

I'll be in Kep this weekend or the next one to find a place to rent. To live in this quiet place for few month or more... I'll talk with you later.

I'm envious of you but I think Kep would be a hard place to live for a long-period of time. Kampot's probably a bit better as at least there's some expat facilities. There's a Facebook group dedicated to Kampot with some useful hints from the community living there as to where to find stuff etc.

You're probably right, I expect to install my office in Kampot and to live in Kep. Kep is quiet, but it could be boring to stay there every day.

I share your passion for Kep... a beautiful place. Far exceeds Sihanoukvills or Kompot as far as a place to live. BUT, as an ex-pat...? I have no personal experience other than several visits (I live in Siem Reap - 'centre of the ex-pat universe'), but I would imagine that the only ex-pats there either work in hotels, own restaurants, or, are TOTALLY retired. There is not much of a bar life there (limited almost totally to the Crab Market).
Whilst I am no great fan of Kompot, it does have more of an ex-pat feel to it, and it is close enough to Kep that you can get there regularly and in a very short time... probably 30 minutes (25 kms)..  If you have hotel or restaurant background, it might work for you
Good luck and Vaya Con Dios.

hi all and trevor. is the cost of living in kep the same or higher than the other main cities of cambodia? is kep a great place for snorkelling and scuba diving.

"hi all and trevor. is the cost of living in kep the same or higher than the other main cities of cambodia? is kep a great place for snorkelling and scuba diving."

Not the best place for snorkelling and scuba diving I think. Because of trouble water. But this kind of water seems to be good for crabs ;)
I think best places are around Sihanouk.

Oh yes and the cost of life is equal than to live in PP said my khmer girlfriend.

Correct - Sihanoukville actually has a map of best snorkelling & diving islands... but the crabs aren't as good as Kep!!

Can't say if Kep is dearer, but you have far more choice in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap.

I live in Kep now. In a guesthouse for one month, time to find a house for rent. I heard about a house for rent at 300$ with 4 rooms and garden. A bit too big to me. So I think about to find a roommate. Is there anybody here wants to live in Kep for the next few months and want a big house for only 150$? I will visit it very soon.

Hi Toni.

I would suggest you to post an advert in the Cambodia housing section.

Regards
Armand

Toni-

I may be interested in sharing a house in Kep. Did you see the place for $300 that you said you were going to look at? If so, how was it? Are there furnishings? Is there internet? (for my online job). How have you liked living in Kep the last month? Which guesthouse did you stay at? I was there for about 10 days and really enjoyed my stay there....spent 3 days on Rabbit Island and a week at the Lida Khmer Guesthouse (inexpensive, quiet and clean). I write for an online business and am looking for a nice place to live. I've been teaching English in Asia for the past two years but have decided to go with the writing job for now. Wouldn't mind living in Kep! If you have any information, please get back to me.

Cheers,

Thom

Hello Thom,

My name's Antoine :)
Finally I didn't visit the house yet. I find another one to visit smaller and cheaper. For now I stay in a Guesthouse, N4. It's not far to Lida I think. I have a nice bungalow, clean, with wifi, swimming pool in a very quiet place, just upstairs to the crab market. I feel really good with the Kep life's style... so quiet.

I'm a freelance graphist, I work in video games. For now I'm in Phnom Penh until friday afternoon, and then I go back to Kep. If it's possible for you, we could come together in a bar around riverside tomorrow (Thursday) evening?

If not, I can give more information by e-mail.

Cheers,
Antoine.

Sidestep,
How are you transporting your belongings to Cambodia?
I am looking for Custom's Brokers who can handle mine,
Thanks ,
Davidseattle

I sold almost all I had before to come here...

Hi Yasmin

I am moving to Cambodia in 2015 I know its a long time off but I was thinking of going to Sihanoukville but you say Kep is better , I love snorkling and diving i was a professional diver for 27 years i like quite clean places would Kep be better for me
      Regards Peter337

Sihanouk is probably a better place to dive. But it's not far from here. Around 1h and half. Kep is quiet, no night clubs, not a lot of tourist. It's the favorite place of frenchies, on the other hand chineses and russians usualy prefered Sihanouk. But you'll see that by your own eyes in 2015...

Hi Toni

you say there are no night clubs but is there a night life be it on the quiter scale like bars and cafes

Yes, there are. A lot of bars and restaurants. And Kampot is very close, there's night clubs in Kampot, and supermarkets, ATM...

that sounds great thanks Toni

Hi Yasmin
Please send me a message with it I sees whether you still are active in the network. [email protected]
Regards Claus

Hi Toni,

Are you still looking for mate?
I am interesting in sharing house. I live now in Kep bungalows, and pay 4$ per night. My place is across the gas station, where is the boats dock for Rabbits islands
I paid in advance until 26 April, but I will happy to find more comfortable place to move after that date.
I am the world cyclist traveller and writer, and I stopped in Kep to write a book. My plan is to stay here for 3 months or so, depending of my book.

Regards,

Snezana

Hi Snezana,
I live very close to your place for the moment. At Mark Pisey Guest house for 90$/month. (It's next to Kepmandou)
I expect to go back to France for holidays, on june and july. That's why I though to find a more comfortable place as you said on my return. But we could meet to talk about that.

What do you think about drink a glass together on Wednesday or Thursday? (I am in Phnom Penh today)in a bar on crab market or anywhere else.

Antoine,
09 62 50 60 06

toni kampuchea wrote:

What do you think about drink a glass together on Wednesday or Thursday? (I am in Phnom Penh today)in a bar on crab market or anywhere else.

Antoine,
09 62 50 60 06

Sounds great! Wednesday suits me as well as any other day :) 
What is the name of that bar? Not sure where is it.

My son and myself want to set up a diving shop + a german cafe with german cakes. What are the odds of succeeding in Kep??? My son is a diving instructor and commercial diver and I love baking.

Any advise and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Claudia

Hi Claudia

I am going to live in Kep ( maybe  two years yet) I dont know anyone there but I was a commercial diver for 27 years so if your son needs any help maybe working in the shop then I would like to stay in touch.
many thanks Peter

Claudia Rush wrote:

My son and myself want to set up a diving shop + a german cafe with german cakes. What are the odds of succeeding in Kep??? My son is a diving instructor and commercial diver and I love baking.

Any advise and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Claudia

I left Kep, but I've been there for over one month and as I know, there is no any bakery.
About diving, I am not sure because very few foreigners are swimming there. If i noticed well, mostly poorer local people come in Kep while richer are going in Sihanoukville. Local people are very traditional (there are mostly Muslims), and they swim in full clothes :)
But Rabbit island might be good place for diving, cause only foreigners and richer locals go there, beaches are incredible and people are coming on island for swim.
May be I don't have right, but that's what I've seen.

Anyway, good luck!

EDIT: I don't know anything about diving, but the sea is shallow there and you should go 500 m or even more into the see if you wanna swim.
Check out this gallery, might will help you to figure out how Kep really looks like
picasaweb.google.com/107915621900909972239/Kep?noredirect=1

hi,i would to travel to cambodiA,KEP city.i would like to have some informations about this place.thanks

WHAT IS THIS OBSESSION WITH EX-PATS WANTING TO LIVE IN KEP (AND EVEN MORE SO - KOMPOT)????

Great place to visit,but live there????,...and I assume you don't have a job!

T2

Only one place to live....Siem Reap!!!!!!!!!!!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi Frankyboy
How much you give this new house for rent? If we stay 7 months?

Closed