Scot moving to Milan

Ciao!

My name is Gillie I am  teacher from Scotland. Moving out to Milan at the start of August to live and work. Clock is ticking and it's starting to get very close now! Trying to get everything organised for the move, saw this forum and thought it would be a good way to meet new people!

I have just got back from a trip to Milan and como- loved both and managed to get flat etc... Organised- going to be living in cita studa- seemed a lovely area.

Would love to meet new people and make the most out of moving to new city!
Hope to hear from you soon
Gillie

Hi Gillie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Gillie,
soon you'll be here.
I hope you know 90% of places are closed in August as the 15th it's almost like Xmas in Italy.
My name is Samy, I have lived in London for many years, now I am in Milan, but I am originally from Venice.
Hope you'll enjoy the Italian experience, Milan can be really sticky and hot, but plenty of swimming pools where you can cool down.
And lovely parks, not sure near what uni you'll be live by, but LAmbro park is lovely.
Enjoy and let me know your first impression.
Good Luck.
Samy

Hi Samy! Thanks for your message. I am just back from Milan- was out for a few days and loved it! People can speak quite negatively about for Milan for some reason and I have no idea why! It was beautiful city with lovely, helpful people! Really looking forward to moving out in August.
Went to park yesterday- it was lovely! Nice to know there is somewhere to chill, run and enjoy peace!
You seem to have travelled around a lot- what do you do? Thank you for advice!
Gillie

Hey Gillie,

Welcome to Milan (Oh hang on-not sure if you've moved over yet!)

Yep, it gets a bad rap, this city, but I've been living here for four years now (I'm from London) and it seems to get inside your veins. I live on the Naviglio, love it here. It is a bit crappy in August as most places close for the entire month.. I should be around, if you're up for an aperitiv or a drink, let me know.
Diana

Hello! I'll be back in milan from september i will happy meet up with you! my email [email protected] if you want to get in touch!

Hi - and thanks for your post. I am planning a  move to Italy and would appreciate some info on the cost of living in Milan. Can you please tell me (1) what part of town you are in (2)what kind of place you live in - its size (3) how much rent you pay and (4) how you found your place? Thank you so much! John Black

Hi Diana and Sarah, no your right Diana I'm not out just yet- fly out on the 13th August! Was planning on coming out two weeks before I start work to look for flat but managed to get all that organised when I came out a couple of weeks ago so looking forward to just getting more familiar with the city. Would love to go for drinks/ aperitiv when I get over :) Are either of you on facebook?

John I cant give you too much advice just now because I havent moved out yet- I did learn though that two bed furnished apartments are very rare. I wasted quite a lot of time looking for property online, but when we got out there, there were signs everywhere on doors for apartments to rent/ sale so very easy to get a property once you are out.

Gillie

Yes im on facebook :) just search sarah short it says im in milan

I am moving to Milan in October and would love to join you guys for a drink and to explore the city a bit! 

Debs

Hi gillie

My name is jan and I am also from Edinburgh now living out of Milan. I am alone here and would love to meet new friends to make life a little less lonely.

You might like to get in touch when you're in Milan, please let me know.

Hi Gillie
I am moving to Milan, from Australia to teach at the end of August :) I fly there on the 26th.
It would be great to catch up :-) Where in Scotland are you from? I Jane relatives in edinburgh.
Cheers,
Tessa

Hi girls- yes let's definitely meet up! We could arrange a night for everyone to meet together, dinner drinks etc... Glad more people in same boat as me! X

Hey Gillie,
Awesome! Yeah me too! That's cool you'll be teaching also. :) Yeah that sounds like fun. I've contacted Jan, Sarah and Diana so hopefully we can catch up druing the week and/or on the weekends!! I so want to explore Italy :) Woo hoo!! Yes, it is nice to know we are in the same boat! Oh and I'm on Facebook if you'd like to add me Tessa Drysdale. Speak soon. X

Hey Gillie, hope you don't mind me jumping in on this conversation? I'm currently au pairing in San Giuilliano, a small town near the centre of Milan. I'm here until Aug 31st and would really like to see a bit more of Milan/Italy while I'm here. I'm from Wales and would love to meet up with other english-speaking people like yourelf. I'm on facebook, search for Carys Williams from Newport. Do you reckon you could let me know if you fancy meeting up for a drink or something sometimes? Cheers, Carys x

Shall we set a date now then hopefully more people can make it? What if we said saturday 18th August for those in Milan just now and go for some drinks? Anyone suggest a good central place to meet? Carys I'll add you on Facebook :) x

Hi everyone- I've just started a new thread with details of getting together- think it will be near the top with a sticky note on it :)
Looking forward to meeting you all x

hi Gillie,
are you still organising aperitivo for the 18th?Any place in mind?wouldn't mind joing you guys.
I am quite busy at work at the moment, I am a hairdresser, and in between 2 jobs at the moment.It's a balancing act that's getting a litle stressfull.We normally go to the mago di oz near lima station or in pazzale Susa but if there are lots of people we need a bigger place. I don't really know the Navigli area.
Let me know anyway.
HAve a good evening.
Samy