New member. Just decided to move to Bg.

Wish me luck as decided to move to Bulgaria for good. Thinking of Haskovo as a good hub for travel and already fallen in love with a house.  Much research on the net till early hours and very grateful for this forum.

Hi biff,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

My hometown. :)

Can you tell me a little bit about the area? How hot does it get in summer and is there any chance of internet access in the countryside - Dimitrovgrad area -?
Do you visit much?

The area gets hot, sometimes it could reach 40 degrees Celsius in July or in August

respectively, in winter temperatures drop down to about -20

Internet is no problem, wherever you can get GSM signal, which is all of Bulgaria, except for the caves.

Thanks, Kristiann.
Maybe I buy a house in your hometown but rent a cool cave for summer. That would work.
Or someone said Gabrovo.
I will come to Bg next week if I can find a cheap flight and meet some Bulgarians. Phrasebook? Where is my phrasebook?

Hi biff,

I'm afraid there are not many caves in the Haskovo region. But it is always an option to dig one ... probably.
Any way, Haskovo is in the plains, while Gabrovo is in the middle of the mountain. There's a big difference.
Haskovo is closer to the Black sea, to Plovdiv airport, to the Greek and Turkish borders, some mineral water resorts (Mineralni Bani and Stara Zagora), while Gabrovo is  close to the mountain, hunting areas and also to mineral water resorts ( some small ski resort also, probably).
If you are looking for a house at a village, close to the town, select one with minimum population of gypsies, or you might have problems when you leave the house for longer periods. Houses in the villages are cheaper than those located in towns.

I cannot dig because do not know the Bulgarian for spade.
Haskovo was my choice because of all those borders. What a centre for travel! Always I have to get thru Europe before I can begin.
Do you miss it? How is Sofia?

My parents live there, so I go there every one or two months. But I still miss it. I'll be there next week/weekend probably.
Sofia is very "urgent", busy, hectic, dirty ... full, interesting, alive, addictive.

Haskovo is calm, nice, small, peaceful and beautiful. Especially in spring and autumn.

The bulgarian word for spade is "lopata", but we have 2 types of spades - one for digging hard soil - "bel" or "prava lopata" and the other is for sand, soil, ... etc. "soft" materilas - just "lopata". Actually, you will need both of these, but better hire a machine.

Thank you. Now I have four words. I will be fluent in no time.